• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Swamp People

LMITOUT

Yeah, I'm sure they do, but what I'm getting at is, should a rough and tough, livin off the land, missing tooth, 21 year old git er done, alligator huntin, bayou livin country boy, scream out loud, long and piercing, in front of the camera? I don't think so?

Personally speaking, I've been bit by dogs, had my fingers crushed in a closed car door, had my fingers mashed in a #4 coil spring beaver trap and also a #220, had one of em cut right off, dangling by the skin, had em smashed between an 80# piece of flat limestone and the steel bed of a flatbed truck when I was 14 and I never screamed once. It just seems kind of embarrassing.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm sure they do, but what I'm getting at is, should a rough and tough, livin off the land, missing tooth, 21 year old git er done, alligator huntin, bayou livin country boy, scream out loud, long and piercing, in front of the camera? I don't think so?

Personally speaking, I've been bit by dogs, had my fingers crushed in a closed car door, had my fingers mashed in a #4 coil spring beaver trap and also a #220, had one of em cut right off, dangling by the skin, had em smashed between an 80# piece of flat limestone and the steel bed of a flatbed truck when I was 14 and I never screamed once. It just seems kind of embarrassing.

I don't think I would call that kid "rough and tough". I would guess he is about 5'4" and 120lbs. To me he is not smart enough to hold a job so he resorts to catching gators. I have more respect for the rest of the guys on the show as they seem to be pretty knowledgeable for the most part.

I didnt see this episode yet, but unless he starts blubbering and begging for his Mama, I dont know that yelling/screaming would be unusual. Gators have one of the strongest bite forces of any land animal on earth. I'd be scared that I lost my fingers!

I'm guessing this is that blond kid with no front teeth? Watching him go snake hunting was interesting - you couldnt pay me enough $$ to get out there at night grabbing random snakes in the water. No way.

I didnt see this episode yet, but unless he starts blubbering and begging for his Mama, I dont know that yelling/screaming would be unusual. Gators have one of the strongest bite forces of any land animal on earth. I'd be scared that I lost my fingers!

I'm guessing this is that blond kid with no front teeth? Watching him go snake hunting was interesting - you couldnt pay me enough $$ to get out there at night grabbing random snakes in the water. No way.

Yep that is the kid. The poster child for fetal alcohol syndrome.

Like I said earlier, there is a reason he is living off the land.

Troy's my favorite gator gitter...he reminds me of a couple of my uncles....long past they are. French and had a distinctness to their speech, so did my ma, alot of dis, dat, dem, and dare....spoke only French when they started school.

How can ya not like a show that has a mom picken bullets out of their kids eye lid and arm......with a needle and butcher knife shocked haha He's tougher than me, ill give him that. Smarter, Probably not. Pretty sure I would of made a doctor visit.....

Nah, same here. I don't like those two...I thought they were gonna start throwin down gang signs at one another! They were gettin all jiggy and high fivein and knuckle bumpin about the "Big" gator they shot....they pulled it into the boat like nothin...the gators that Troy and Junior have taken would have swallowed their gator whole! For a father and son team, they take the 'Coolness' thing a little off the deep end IMO.

Don't knock these folks for the way they live. I have trapped fur and bait for 40 years and in many ways we are the same. Education isn't always a good thing, just look at the way educated folks are ripping us off everyday for our hard earned money out of our investments. Government takes 6 people to do one job and these folks are doing it without help from anyone. My father never went past 6th grade and did well in life. If this country would get back to basic work ethics we might be better off, instead of everything being made in foreign countries. Look in the mirror and see what kind of person you are to be judging others.

Don't knock these folks for the way they live. I have trapped fur and bait for 40 years and in many ways we are the same. Education isn't always a good thing, just look at the way educated folks are ripping us off everyday for our hard earned money out of our investments. Government takes 6 people to do one job and these folks are doing it without help from anyone. My father never went past 6th grade and did well in life. If this country would get back to basic work ethics we might be better off, instead of everything being made in foreign countries. Look in the mirror and see what kind of person you are to be judging others.
YES!!! This a LIKE I am holier than thou dont cut it!

Government takes 6 people to do one job

And yet at the MN department of health, as a student employee working part time, my girlfriend performs the functions and has the responsibility of of 3 departments.

Not that I see how this has anything to do with swamp people. It's a neat show, but at times reminds me of why I left Louisiana and will never step foot in that state ever again.

I do miss the bayou, snakes, frogs, and gators though. The best part about Louisiana was the wildlife and the outdoors, the worst part was the people.

Whoa Motely Man....Don't misinterpret the post? Like any other show weither it be American Idol, or Dancing With The Stars, everybody has their favorites and those two didn't happen to be mine....maybe next time they will be, they may be the salt of the earth? But since it's a reality show, ya have your favorites.

I can identify with the people in the show? I'm about 95% French for one thing and the trapping aspect...I ran long traplines for 25 years, coyote, fox, coon, rats, beaver, snapping turtles, you name it I've probably caught it....but not gators. My nephew and I did have a 130 fox season once. And on a closing note, maybe YOU better do some self appraisal also...your jumpin around quite abit there?

Finally got caught up. I didn't like Jay Paul and RJ after the first show (too cocky), but they have a good bond and a reverence and respect for what it is they do so I've warmed up to them. It's been a good start to the year, plenty of drama.

Willie is a redneck, so is Junior, but you have to love the rednecks and river rats no matter where you live. Some of my best friends are rednecks and river rats. It takes all kinds, salt of the earth folks to PhDs.

Tyler should have been gator food. If the swamp was really that dangerous he'd be toast. I suspect some editing. No one man operation would stay out 24 hours without coming in or someone getting worried. Wouldn't be the first time for staged reality TV.

Yeah, I thought he looked kind of bright eyed and bushy tailed for having been up all day and night in the swamp,lookin for the dog? Didn't look like he had to many skeeter bites on him either and I would suspect they would about carry you off in the swamp at night....especially with no shirt on!

Anyways, it was a good show....Troy kinda over plays the "Choot em, choot em!" a little bit. I think alot of it is for show...Like Troy thinking his son isn't up to the task....I mean, the young man has probably been in the boat with his dad huntin gators for 10 years or more.....you don't need a PHD to hunt gators....some basic know how, some basic equipment and some big cahunas!

When that dude fell into the water with that gator, that looked pretty real to me, but I suppose with editing, they can make anything look real? I would have thought he would be covered with mud and junk, but he looked pretty clean? Wet, but clean? That would be a hair raising experience no doubt! Pocket pistol, or not!

After seeing that guy lift those gator nuggets out of the hot grease, they looked pretty good and the meat looked clean before they went in, I think I'll try em at the fair this summer?

There is a lot of editing on that show. Watch and they will show the guy with the gun and pan to the gator and go back and he has a different gun in his hand. There are lots of little things like that that make me wonder how much is made up. I still like to show for it entertainment value though.

I agree about the editing, one second the gator is just laying on top and they wont shoot and the next shot the gator is rolling like crazy and they shoot once and kill it. I dont like it when they point the gun at the camera in the water to show the gators view, thats cheesy to me. That said I still love watching the show with my son, makes me hungry for some gator.

there sure is alot of editing especially when they are going for big gator and they show thrashing and differnet camera angles but the gator thrashing is like a 7 footer and the one they load up is like a 11 footer......either way it is good entertainment and fun to try to understand them and also to see how different people make a living in the world....

Yep.

Troy and crew even have their own HSOforum. Chootem!

He is worth the price of admission and I laugh every time they're wrangling a gator.

Tree shaker! Tree shaker! Choot! Choot!

hehe.gif

Amazing that Nic and Bruce see the tags going down for no reason, they get it on camera, and after Nic dives in he gets them....I'm still entertained but this show keeps jumping the shark. The reality in this reality show is lost.

I love how Glenn and Mitchell are hunting rabbits in what looks like late summer. They look like real gun safety advocates.

A faith healer for Liz? Get real. I met a gal from LA that said the show doesn't paint the state's citizens in a great light...I can see what she meant.