• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

More boat shopping

Huskie

I've been in the market for a used 02-06 1750 to 1850 type boat for a month or so now. I would prefer one of the big three, Lund, Alumacraft or Crestliner. I've either been a a little late or dollars short and also have rejected a few as well. I'm not familar with the Lund Explorer or the Mr. Pike, where do these rank in the Lund line up. Anyone have any knowledge of them or advice?

The Mr Pike was pretty much a bridge between the explorer and the Pro/V... I think the only real difference was that it didn't have the IPS 2 hull under it, but had all the bells and whistles.

The explorer was (when the Mr Pike was around... they've re-vamped the line up in the last 2-3 years) a step down from the Mr Pike.... it didn't have the IPS2 hull either, and usually didn't have all the bells and whistles the Mr Pike had - no livewell recirc, interior lights, etc... still a very good boat, but not quite as fancy.

What models were you looking at in the last month? That might help explain some of the differences better.

marine_man

The two most common boats that I've looked at are the Alumacraft trophy 1750 and 1850 and the Crestliners both the sportfish and fish hawk models. The 1850's are a little too big for my taste, but if the price is right I will buy one. The other concern is I liked my old boat with a side console, more room for moving around while fishing, but the full walk through has benefits also.

huskie. i would spend the money the first time. i'm on my second boat in two years. I wish I would have just bought the one i wanted the first time and not the one i thought would work. be patient. The time is coming in the next couple of months where you will get a good deal.

I have a 04 17' Explorer SS with a Yamaha 115 4 stroke. Awesome boat. Handles waters that bigger boats do but can be put in smaller lakes and rivers.

My only issue is I wish I had more rod storage for rods over 7' but I run with at least 8 rods most of the time and troll with 7'10" - 9' rods regularly. Most people dont need that much rod storage. Compartments stay dry, livewell in front and back. Interior lights, sterio etc.

I wouldnt hesitate to go with a 04 or newer Explorer because they have the stiffer/wider rails and the Lund track system.

Nice boat for the buck.

Northlander: What do you suppose a boat like yours would sell for, without a Lake Superior set up. Just a trolling motor for inland lakes. Anyone fishing out of a fishhawk at all. There seem to me to be a lot of those boats on the used market today in my price range. Maybe that's telling me something about the boat as well.

I have a '96 Fishhawk 1750 SC and just love it. Ample room and plenty of compartments. The only issue with the boat is you get a little wet on windy days because there is no windshield. Just throw on some rain gear and we are good to go. I have had it up on Rainy in some rough weather and it did just fine - remember to slow down is all. I like it because I can take it just about anywhere - from small lakes, to Yellow river (get out and walk once in awhile and pull it) to large body of waters. Plenty of storage and room. I have a MinnKota Power Drive 55lb motor with iPilot and it will troll me around all weekend. Highly recommend it.

Northlander: What do you suppose a boat like yours would sell for, without a Lake Superior set up. Just a trolling motor for inland lakes. Anyone fishing out of a fishhawk at all. There seem to me to be a lot of those boats on the used market today in my price range. Maybe that's telling me something about the boat as well.

Not sure man. I havent priced them out lately. I paid about $15,000 for mine barely used in 04 and they are really holding their values lately. Check walleye central and sites like that.

Because of my price range, I'm seeing a lot of boats with some significant dock rask. And I know that is to be expected when looking at boats that are 6-10 years old. How difficult is it to touch up those spots or to repaint or redo the lettering on boats. Are there shops that specialize in that or will a small auto body guy be able to do it. I know it doesn't impact performance, but I would like to look good when I'm not catching any fish!!!

Just an update, bought a 02 Sportfish 1750 in pretty good shape, with a 125 Merc on it. I'm ready for fall fishing now. I do need to find a replacement footpedal control for the power drive trolling motor, where should I look for that or order new from MInn Kota?

You will need a certain one for your model trolling motor. They have one for the powerdrive and one for powerdrive v2 trolling motors, so make sure you get the one for the powerdrive if that's what you have. My 02' Sportfish came with a powerdrive and I got the co-pilot at Gander this spring.