• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for opinions on how many miles between oil changes.

I'm throwing the Bee S flag, there's no way those Chevy's go 200k with NO issues! shockedlaugh

When even you say something like their, it always seems there are 20 Chevy guys who will come out of the woodwork to refute those charges. laugh

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call it [PoorWordUsage] all you want but the truth is the truth. Can't a chevy engine go that long with no issues?

My current 2006Chev PU has 148,000 miles with the engine never having any issues to date. Well, a 4x4 issues with the elec shift control. Other than that, the valve covers were never of the motor. No starters or anything else.

Yes, oil changes. plugs and general maintenance and that's it.

I cannot understand why its not believable unless you drive a Toyota Jer. wink

My last truck, a 2002 GMG with a 6 cyl went 258,000 and never an internal issue with the motor when I sold it to the junk yard. A year ago the guy was still driving it.

Well, I guess if we are gonna be technical the thread was about oil change intervals.

I cant think of many other components that would be affected by oil other than the engine it lubricates! wink Dont let em mess with you Harvey. smile

I think all manufactures in the last 10 years, you really shouldnt have much issues with getting 200,000 miles on the engines. Sure there are a few here and there, but I think on average the majority will last a lot longer then 200k as long as they are maintained properly, which brings us back to oil changes!

With todays oils, sludge is the result of an engine problem (PCV, etc) or neglect not the oil. Amsoil is a great oil, but it didn't solve yor sludge problem.

Well its gone now??? Explain that. Didnt do any work to the motor. Changed oil type and it disappeared. Maybe the oil helped its performance which fixed the problem??

I had sludge in my car until i switched to amsoil. Now I change it whenever I think about it. I dont even keep track. I do not put that many miles on. Id say I change it 2-3 times a year. maybe every 8000k or so

You didn't tell us how often you changed you oil before you switched? how much drained out when you did change it? What kind of oil you where using? How long it took for the Amsoil to clean out the "sludge"? What your definition of sludge is?

You also put on more miles than the national average by almost double. It take me a year to put on 10k miles. I don't put on very many miles!

I have fully jumped on the synthetic bandwagon. It was like pouring in horsepower on my snowmobile when I switched. Much less smoke too. Now for cars, I have seen it "clean up" an old engine too. The engine in my 25 year old Toyota with 265k is so clean inside it looks like it could still be under warranty. It wasn't that clean when I got it. I've had engines just out of warranty taken apart and almost none of them look as good as the one in my old turd.

Yes, oils have improved dramatically. So have demands on the oil. Must not be many Euro car owners here. Some of the intervals given here would be suicidal on many Euro's. Now we have variable cam timing systems on most vehicles that are VERY sensitive to oil quality and sludge buildup. Turbo's have been becoming more popular, further increasing heat put into the oil. I don't trust oil life monitors much either. Too many have had oil come out that will tatoo you for the day if it gets on your skin. Those also have a distinct smell. Like when you crack open a poorly maintained engine that broke too soon.

Probably the biggest argument for synthetic is that most people go way over any reasonable amount of miles between changes. Most "virgin" oil changes I've done have been about 8k. What a break in. The worst I've seen was 17k on conventional oil! I would think a duramax deserves better. Just driving in MN. puts you in severe duty conditions.

Since this is a fishing forum, how about when you're miles from shore away from the crowds on LOW and the temp is -35 and you want your car/truck to crank over next morning.I would think pour point alone would convince a winter sportsman.

I don't/won't say shame on you to anyone that goes a long way on their oil. I fix/replace engines,tranny's,and axles too.

Finally, does anybody agree with the "lubed for life" position many manufacturers have on everything but the engine nowadays?

It was under the oil cap, stick bubbly light brown, When you switch to a full synthetic you require an engine flush. I didnt think of that. Maybe thats what took care of the problem.

That is not sludge. That is just moisture buildup, it looks like chocolate milk. Probably cooler weather and short trips caused this. No big deal and this is common in MN. Make sure that your PCV valve is good and make sure you get the oil good and hot (long drive) once a week or so and you will be fine.

Also there is no need for an engine flush when going to synthetic. That is an old wives tail.

That is not sludge. That is just moisture buildup, it looks like chocolate milk. Probably cooler weather and short trips caused this. No big deal and this is common in MN. Make sure that your PCV valve is good and make sure you get the oil good and hot (long drive) once a week or so and you will be fine.

Also there is no need for an engine flush when going to synthetic. That is an old wives tail.

Agreed! Probably a Chrysler product which are well known for this to happen. Especially since the PCV valve is in the top of the oil fill tube.