• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Seven bird species, seven bird images.

All images made with Minolta5d, or SonyA300, Tokina80-400mm, or Sigma 50-500mm, various f-stops, various shutter speeds, periodic fill flash, all hand held, manual exposure, cropped, two minor clones on song sparrow, and northern hawk owl, USM. Comments and critiques welcome. Thankyou Michael Hendrickson for the NHO image smile Violet green swallow from South Dakota, all others taken with 45 minutes of Duluth, MN.

In order: Northern Hawk Owl, American Robin, Violet Green Swallow, Whimbrel,

Song Sparrow, Hairy Woodpecker,Piping Plover.

Regards,

Shawn Zierman.

hawkowl.jpg

robinctm-1.jpg

swallowviolet.jpg

whimbrel.jpg

songsparrow44.jpg

hairy3.jpg

piping.jpg

Shawn, as always, excellent work. That's not cheerleading. It's how I feel.

The swallow and the shorebirds are fine. The light is right. The pose on the swallow has drama and tension, and the environmental shorebird portraits are smack on. Fine does not mean adequate. Fine means "characterized by elegance or refinement or accomplishment."

Thanks as always for the props and feedback, it's a warm fuzzy smile

The plover is indeed banded, actually sporting three bands, though one is not really visible. The great lakes population of piping plovers are federally endangered. They are probably only holding on due to intense efforts by state and federal agencies to help them. They used to nest on Minnesota Point in Duluth in the early 80's, or so I've read. Any time spent at this location at all after June 1st will quickly reveal why they are unable to nest here any longer.

I like them all the swallow in particular, but what really impresses me is the fact you are getting such great images hand holding the Bigma (Sigma)! I have one and I just can't get any decent shots while hand holding

Thanks again for the views and comments. Hwood, robins are often overlooked and I was VERY excited to get the bird to be cooperative in this setting and light.

Yellowhead, I have many unsharp images as well smile Definately heftier than my previously used Tokina80-400.