• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Your ideal first round for the Wolves....

Coach1310

Okay so the Wolves have #4, #16 and #23 in the first round. What would you like to see?

I am kind of against giving up 2 first rounders to move up and get who I assume would be Turner. I would be for giving up one pick and a player, but not 2 picks. We still have that wonderful first rounder coming due to the Clips and it isn't lottery protected thanks to Kevin Mc"Fail"'s great deal for Marco Jarich, so I think we need as many young prospects as possible. The ideal situation would be Turner to fall to #4, but my ideal, realistic result would be:

#4. Wesley Johnson F Syracuse.... long, athletic, slasher type. Good on the glass. I'm not in love with him, but with the guys I think will be available I think he is the best fit and fills a need.

#16. Xavier Henry SG Kansas.... he has slipped in some projections due to not having great numbers last year, but Kansas was loaded so that took away from him some. He can shoot it and from DEEP.... I just think he has a TON of upside and could be a steal at #16. I have seen him going at #15 in quite a few mocks.... my next choice would be James Anderson from Ok State... probably the most polished and NBA ready pure 2 guard in the draft which helps him slide this far as many teams think he doesn't have a lot of room to improve..

#23. I really think if the PERFECT player is not available they will move this pick or even possibly move the #16 pick in hopes of picking up a similar pick next year. I would like to see them move Jefferson and this pick for a pick next year and a veteran type guy to come in and be a leader in the locker room. I think we have seen the best of big Al and this would allow Love some more PT.... I'm not in LOVE with him either, but I see no point in having both of them

Should be interesting.... maybe we will just take 3 power forwards this year smile

I'd be fine with them trading all three picks to move up to #2, I don't think Philly would do it though. The Wolves have enough trouble hitting on a top 5 pick, let alone a player picked in the teens. I know some gems kind be found in the mid to late first round, but the Wolves don't have an eye for spotting talent that late. Well, they did draft Ty Lawson last year in that range, but that was directed by Denver. Looks like Lawson could be a better player than Jonny Flynn.

I would love to get Turner, but if that doesn't happen then I guess I'd be okay with Wesley Johnson. ESPN is comparing him to Shawn Marion. I wouldn't mind landing Crawford from Xavier with a later pick if they could get him.

Trade them all, and get Turner, I dont care! Atleast then we have a good chance at a good starter, which we need. We dont need a bunch of 4 year bench players, we have an entire team of them now.

I would try and trade big Al, Rubio, and the 16th pick for the 2nd pick and E.Brand who is dead weight with a bad contract that Philly would love to get rid of. The T-losers can afford to sit on that contarct for a couple of years while there young players develope. Then they can spend the money on free agents in a few years. My dream draft would be Turner at #2 and Cousins at #5.

I think the Clips have to decide they want the pick and we have to agree. If not, they get our pick next year no matter what... I'm not 100% on this, but I thought that is what I read... so if the Wolves wanted to give up #4 and the Clips said "OK" then we could give them that pick and be done with it.

Moving Big Al for something productive and cheaper would be my biggest want from the draft. If it were me, I would want NO part of taking Brand's contract back... way too much $$ in my opinion..

Yeah, Brands contract is huge and that's why you might get Philly to trade. Plus the T.losers are not going to attract anybody worth spending the money on until they get better anyway. Then in 2 or 3 years when the pups grow up they would have Brands money to spend on a player.

I don't believe it has any protection next year. If the draft went Wall/Turner/Favors, wonder what the Clippers would deal for the #4? Our pick next year and #8 this year? Maybe the wolves would have to package #23 in with the deal or something.

I don't believe it has any protection next year. If the draft went Wall/Turner/Favors, wonder what the Clippers would deal for the #4? Our pick next year and #8 this year? Maybe the wolves would have to package #23 in with the deal or something.

My biggest worry is if the draft goes Wall-Turner-Johnson... I think the 2 players they covet most are Turner and Johnson and with both of them gone, I think you have to look at trading down. I'm not sure what others have to offer, but you have to think about it... it may even be a draft and swap scenairo and we are bound to get one of them right!!

Also, it is being rumored that the Wolves are considering trading their #16 for the Grizzlies #25 and #28. Sure, more picks are nice, but dropping all the way to #25 takes away the chance to draft a shooting guard the likes of Henry, George, Anderson etc.... My guess would be that they would make this deal in hopes of packaging one of their late first round picks with Al, to move into the mid first...

I still think they will try to move into the top 2, they have more then enough picks this year, they have plenty of mediocre talent on the team now, they need a star, and someone liked, that will bring people to the games, they wont get that with a mid 1st round pick. At this point, the teams main focus, I think would be to draw people to the games. Some one that is exciting to watch, and can make the plays now. Wall/Turner!

but..., since when do GM's tell what they plan on doing to the media?

True. Who knows what this GM is going to do, he definitely isn't scared to make some moves!!!

OK...I'll chime in on this since I am a NBA rube and have been following the draft closer than about anyone not named Chad Ford. Going into the draft, the Timberwolves have a point guard playing in Spain who could still be the next star, a point guard named Jonny Flynn who is basically Troy Hudson 2, and really at this point can't be seen as anything more than a good backup. SG is a mess. SF-Corey Brewer actually played OK last year, can hit the open 3 and play great defense. PF- well your best 2 players both play this position. Jefferson's defense is so horrible, he couldn't beat me in a game of one on one if I started with the ball. He is a bad passer as well, which makes double teaming him effective. He is a decent rebounder, and probably the best back to the basket scorer in the NBA. Kevin Love is also a bad defender, although not quiet as horrible as Jefferson. He is an outstanding passer, and can hit outside shots and spread the floor more. He is one of the best rebounders in the league already as well, and is still very young. C- Um...

So..my theory is to move Jefferson, get whatever you can for him. I would move him and one of the later first round picks to get a SG/SF, or a C who can play D and rebound. My ideal situation would be this: Draft Cousins with the number 4 pick. Sign Rudy Gay or John Salmons as your SG. Then in one year you would have PG Rubio with Flynn as backup. SG Salmons/Gay or whoever you traded Big Al for. SF Salmons/Gay/player from Jefferson trade. PF Love C Cousins. Bring home the Vanilla Gorilla, Joel Prizbilla. He can rebound and play good D, and isn't a horrible offensive player as well.

As far as the players in this draft go, I think there are only a few that really are going to make a splash. Obviously John Wall is going to be a great player. I also think Turner should be really good too, although be might never be a Lebron/Kobe superstar, I think he could be a Joe Johnson like Allstar anyways. I think Cousins is hands down the next player to take, and in all reality probably the best player in this draft. The numbers don't lie, the kid is a beast. The question is whether or not he is too big of a headcase. I usually don't like this type of player with attitude issues, but the upside is way too high here not to take a chance. He is a 20-10 guy who players great defense too, and is NBA ready now.

Favors is the upside pick here. Looking at his numbers, he can't shoot, for a super athelete, his defensive number like steals and blocks weren't that high. He could grow up to be the next Dwight Howard, or Kwame Brown. He is 6'10, so I'm not sure he has the size to be an NBA center. I like his upside, but don't think he is as sure of a bet as others. Also, what are the Wolves gonna do with another guy who is a PF?

Wesley Johnson. I think he is way overrated. He is not as great of a shooter as people are giving him credit for. He isn't a great ball handler or that quick off the dribble and isn't going to be able to create his own shot easily. He is also almost 23 already, which makes him older than about half the Wolves roster. I think he will end up being a good player/starter in the NBA, but I am not on board with those thinking he is a future all-star.

So naturally the Wolves will end up with Johnson, and trade Jefferson for some parts that don't work. I love MN sports..

jparruci, I was with you until you lost all your credibility with bringing in Joel P, The Wolves definitely don't need another Herman Munster to play center. The worst run franchise in professional sports will continue to dissapoint and will make another mess of the draft unless, like you said, package a player or two with a draft pick and get somebody who can shoot.

I was only saying to bring him in as a backup center. He is still a big body who can rebound and defend well. He was producing for Portland before he was injured. I don't like him as a starter, but I think he is just fine as a backup.

Good to see someone else seems to be following the draft.... I too like Cousins, but he doesn't want to be here and we really don't have a proven vet here to keep him in line, so that worries me a lot! I really doubt we take him, but I can't complain if we do, especially if it goes Wall, Turner, Johnson. I understand your take on Johnson, but I see him as one of the "safest" picks in the draft IF you don't expect him to be a superstar. Great athlete, mature, skilled, can shoot it and seems to be WAY above average in the intelligence department. He won't be the next Kobe or LeBron, but a 12 year NBA veteran that many teams would love to have because he knows how to play the game and will adapt his role accordingly.

I heard a couple of rumors about the Wolves moving Big Al and the #16 to get another pick in the 8-12 range. I would LOVE to see this, especially if they land Paul George or Xavier Henry. They both have quite a bit of potential and George has BIG upside... although in MN upside never really seems to materialize. I also hope they move that late first round pick for a pick next year as we will lose our pick to the Clips thanks to the Marko deal... should be interesting tonight.