• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just want to know why??

leroy77

I would like to know why (atv owners/riders) can't operate our wheelers in the ditches in the "Agricultural Zone" defined on page 7 of the off highway vehicle regulation book form the DNR from April 1 to August 1. I don't want to start any arguments or anything, it just dose not make any sense to me.Is there anything we can do about this??

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another senseless law voted in by the tree huggers. Like there isn't enough woods/swamps for nesting areas? We have the same thing along certain hwys up north about not being able to mow or spray the ditches because of wildlife habitat? Yep roads right through swamps and woods. Best place for wildlife is right along the hwy. Apparently none of these law makers have ever hit a deer at 55 because the ditches were overgrown with brush. Go figure?

I just don't understand the thought process behind this law. I'm not trying to tick anyone off I just want to understand the reasoning behind the law and why the dates are so long.

I called the dnr and the sherrifs about this and niether one really gave me a reason they both just said dont do it. The local dnr officer even made the coment that he didnt completely agree with the law, but he left it at that.

Some COs are against the law. Do I agree with it? I'm on the fence.

Comparing ditches in some regions up north to the southern part of the state is comparing apples to oranges. Much of the habitat here has been plowed under, including the fencelines. Swamps/sloughs have been tiled out in favor of creating more crop land.

I do agree that wildlife could use more habitat in the southern half of the state and ditches provide the best venue. I do feel that if one group is not allowed to use the ditch, then it should maybe be off-limits to others as well.

farmers around here will start bailing the grass in every ditch in lyon county it seems when it gets at least 2 feet tall.. yet a guy cant ride a 4 wheeler in the ditch doing hardyl any harm.?? stupid.. its like racism kinda. farmers get to use it yet they ruin more acres of habitat then eye could see but a wheeler that does reletivily nothing cant

So because you ride a wheeler you dont think you destroy habitat? I think you should look at the USFS travel management plans to see what they are and where they are going to allow riding. Currently in AZ, it is against the law to ride on any road, two track, single track, or path. All of these are to be considered closed unless other wise posted as open. As far as the farmer ruining the habitat, i dont agree with that statement. One reason they allow the ag folks to do this is because the state would have to do it and then it costs money. Why not allow a farmer to mow, bale, and use the grass for consumption? I guess you dont eat so then you have a right to complain. Farmers offer more habitat and food sources for wildlife than most natural preserves. Ever been in a field after harvest, during growing season? I think you just want to complain about not being able to destroy or make a new two track where ever you want.

I am on the fence also with this one. I do not see the sense of the allowable means of a farmer to mow the complete ditch and use it when there is no ATV riding ability in the ditches. As far as saying it helps the state save money, because it keeps them from doing it....NOT.

When the state does this it is only 1 swipe along the highway, not the complete ditch from roadside to field like the farmers do.

I would say lets compromise. If a farmer or other is to mow a ditch for harvest, they need to allow riding of ATV on corresponding property...

Lets hear it for that one, I know, I know.

Lets just have this wonderful state of Minnesota start competeing with other states for riding privilages.

I think some state aided trails need to be funded by whatever means in the southern part of this state.

i personally think its pointless and another law made by people that have no clue what there doing.. i was riding in the ditch not to long ago the sheriff passed me he just waved so apparently the law enforcment agrees because he couldnt have cared less.

It will almost be a case of hell freezing over before any significant amount of trails will be established in the ag zone. Keep in mind who owns 95% of the land in the ag zone.............the very people who some are complaining about here. wink

There's a saying that fits quite well here: Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Personally I have absolutely no problem with farmers and THEIR land!! I am one of the biggest backers of PRIVATE PROPERTY there are!! But, we are talking about ditches, and if the farmers are able to cut the ditches then there is no reason that fourwheelers cannot be ridden in the ditches throughout the summer!!

Farmers are encouraged NOT TO MOW the ditches. But some choose to do it anyhow. There are no laws that say they can't as far as I know.

But as I've said before....Take away their ability to mow the ditches and you give up any chance to establish a trail across agricultural land.

i have lived on a farm for 16 years there bud...and have studied soil conservation for 2 years. cash crops like bean and corn dont really do squat for wildlife from december till july.. at least where i live its tile every thing in sight, run those tiles into small lakes, polute water, bail it just so you look cool, cut down an acre of trees to gain a little bit of land, till up wildlife managment areas, and plow within inches of a telephone pole weLL WITHIN road right of way.. still think its fair? i dont.. the only farmers that are somewhat respectfull to the natural eco systems are the grass farmers.. if they can mow it we should be able to ride in it after mowing.. ill add a cherry to the cake. have you ever seen a DNR trucks with the dont mow or burn ditches till AUG 1 painting on the back or something?

It's not just farmers that cut ditches either. There are a lot of homeowners who live on a few acres that mow the ditch in front of thier property so that it looks like the rest of thier finely manicured lawn.

That sure don't provide any wildlife habitat unless you are talking about grasshoppers.

What i really like is the fact that In ND we are allowed to ride ditches as long as it is on the out slope of the right of way of the road but every farmer out here has scraped out all the ditches and tilled it all up and planted on the road right of way and took away the outslope so well now where do i ride on the steep side right next to the road or thru the farmers Field? well i most certianly will not ride in the field and im not going to ride on the Inslope were cars cant see me and i tip over so well my riding opertunities are gone thanks to the farmers taking land that belongs to the State county or township and I agree if they mow a ditch we should be able to ride the ditch plain and simple im sure its a good for wildlife to go spraying chemicals and burning ditches too but hey who are we to say were just all simple people trying to enjoy ourselfs but everthing gets taken away at somepoint and time welcome to the land of the free

there was a point last year where lucas township started surveying. the county owns 33 feet from middle there was places where there was 20 or less. needless to say the stock chopper got a work out in july and the county reclaimed ALOT of land..

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There are 2 sets of laws...one for general people and one for farmers. Farmers have so many exceptions. Farmers can even ride 4 wheelers in the ditch during the restricted time as long as they are doing "farm related activity". Oh the poor farmers!!! I own land and I always found it dumb that I couldn't ride my wheeler in my ditch, but I could ride my tractor in my ditch with my brush hog behind it.

Nothing wrong with farmers mowing ditches, but it needs to go both ways and wheelers should be able to ride the ditches! Farmers really shouldn't be getting a bad name about this though because it really isn't there problem! More power to them for getting away with mowing the ditches!

Farmers can even ride 4 wheelers in the ditch during the restricted time as long as they are doing "farm related activity".

Wrong. Farmers can ride down the edge of the right of way as long as they have the proper registration. There's no need for a farmer to be in the ditch with an ATV.

But nobody stops the Farmers from plowing up the right of way were were supposed to be able to ride so whats up with that? We cant ride in the fields but they can just "Steal" Land from the Counties Townships and State? How does that work? I Respect Farmers I have lots of Family that farms but they respect the rules and the property lines and well they cant stand the people that dont just like the ones that dig all the ditches deeper and steeper so we cant ride just so they drain faster and they can move over on the right of way a few more feet I just dont understand

There's no condoning those who continue to impeed farther into the right of way. But also keep in mind that the main purpose of a ditch is to allow the flow of water from the right of way, not support off road travel of motorized traffic.