• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Well at least I don't have mice in the boat

bobbymalone

I was recently gifted my dad's 82 alumacraft that had been sitting in a shed back home in the Ozarks for about 12 years and have been working on getting it back on the water.

It definitely had some mice in there during the past 12 years as evidenced by the mouse carp and mouse houses in the storage compartments. Never saw a mouse in there though.

So yesterday, I manage to drop a bolt (the one that holds on the bad starter from my other post) and it falls and rolls up under the floorboard near the transom. Dang it... Can't reach it... So I rig up a little tool with a magnet on it and start swishing it around under there trying to grab it. As I am doing this, my hand brushes up against a hose that had a weird texture, like it was all cracked and frayed. So I stop with the magnet stick swishing and am feeling around on this hose.

Then the hose pulls away from me and up under the floorboard.

It scared the carp out of me and I ripped my hand out of there. I shine the flashlight in there just in time to see this "hose" slither up under the floor board.

Yeah, you guessed it, I have a decent sized black snake in my boat that I have transplanted from Mizzura to here.

Guess that explains where all the mice went. Now I just have to wait for that snake to get out of there. Gawd, I hate those things.

"I've had it with these @#*&($!(& snakes on this @#^*$(&$@ plane boat!"

OMG! If that would have been me, i would have to go change underwear! grin

I think I need to right now! haha! I seriously just shivered! I haste snakes.... yep, I'm a whimp when it comes to them.

If you can wait until Musky opener, they make awesome bait. Plus, they float when they swim. When we were kids, we'd throw an occasional garter snake out into the water...they never lasted long before they became lunch for a big bass or northern!

Any look at what kind of snake?

I am thinking it was a black rat snake. I only saw the last 8 inches or so of it. I am guessing it is decent size, based on the thickness at the tail - maybe 4 foot or so. I remember back home seeing 7-8 footers though.

Snakes are in my top 3 most disliked things, but it's not like I have a textbook phobia. I would have grabbed it and pulled it out if I wasn't startled by it moving.

It's the idea of it being in there and not knowing where that bothers me and unless I pull it out or see it leave, I will forever be leery of sticking my hands down the bottom reaches of that boat.

Of course there are probably hundreds of them all slithering around on top of each other under that floorboard...

I get it, I would be pretty startled too. I once had a bat in my apartment at around 2 or 3 am. A little embarrassing the way I acted about it all. Bats are one of my favorite animals on this planet OUTSIDE, not so much INSUDE.

Snakes would be in my top 2 most disliked.

I HATE snakes.... call me a pansy but they plain creep me out... For me that boat would never hit the water until I knew it was gone.

Funny I am getting the shivers thinking about your experience... definitely new undies if it were me.

1&2 for me are snakes and spiders

Like the time I was driving home from work on 169 in Edina, and had a HUGE (silver dollar size) spider comes crawling up my pant leg, swerving all over the road in rush hour with a panic stop in the side of the road. Found the spider one the drivers seat and it ran off under the seat before I could kill it. I eventually found it 10 minutes later, thank god because there was NO WAY I leaving until I did.

RU

I had a buddy that bought a gambler bass boat from florida. He was putting in new batteries and found a GIANT snake skin in the boat. After he calmed down he went down to the boat ramp and removed the plug and flooded the entire boat.

No updates yet. The boat was kept in the garage all weekend so who knows. I looked around in the boat and then all over the garage and didn't see anything.

Really tempted to "forget" to put the plug in on the first water test for this decade.

what the heck happened to the edit button?

I called the DNR to see if they wanted me to kill it seeing that it was introduced from MO. I talked to the non-game wildlife person --- who didn't have a clue.

She put me in contact with a CO but he didn't return my calls.

I was recently gifted my dad's 82 alumacraft that had been sitting in a shed back home in the Ozarks for about 12 years and have been working on getting it back on the water.

It definitely had some mice in there during the past 12 years as evidenced by the mouse carp and mouse houses in the storage compartments. Never saw a mouse in there though.

So yesterday, I manage to drop a bolt (the one that holds on the bad starter from my other post) and it falls and rolls up under the floorboard near the transom. Dang it... Can't reach it... So I rig up a little tool with a magnet on it and start swishing it around under there trying to grab it. As I am doing this, my hand brushes up against a hose that had a weird texture, like it was all cracked and frayed. So I stop with the magnet stick swishing and am feeling around on this hose.

Then the hose pulls away from me and up under the floorboard.

It scared the carp out of me and I ripped my hand out of there. I shine the flashlight in there just in time to see this "hose" slither up under the floor board.

Yeah, you guessed it, I have a decent sized black snake in my boat that I have transplanted from Mizzura to here.

Guess that explains where all the mice went. Now I just have to wait for that snake to get out of there. Gawd, I hate those things.

"I've had it with these @#*&($!(& snakes on this @#^*$(&$@ plane boat!"

I would still be shaking so bad I would not have been able to even post about it.

I am deathly afraid of any type snakes.

I am thinking that snake might have got up and left on it's own.

Took the boat on the water last night for a test run and a cracked aerator hose flooded out the bilge pretty good before I could get the hose clamp on there.

No snakes came out.

Hopefully that snake managed to sneak out the back door of the garage, otherwise it's in there somewhere.