• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camo Pattern

kingr

What camo pattern do people recommend for the Badlands? I've just got my "hardwoods" for hunting in MN, which I imagine wouldn't blend in too well out there. I got my Cow Elk tag and am hoping to arrow one just trying to get a list of things I "need"! smile

Thanks

In spite of the fact that I own a few dozen different shirts, sweatshirts, jackets, etc. in "Western" patterns, you absolutely don't need anything new or different. Although this applies to deer, it applies even more to elk- scent and movement will be 10x more likely to get you busted than not blending in well. However, if you want to know what I think looks cool and blends in well to me, here are a few suggestions:

Cabela's Open Country is very good! Here's my bro in some.

Rodsunrise2.jpg

Any Sitka pattern will be good. Below is Mountain Mimicry, which they don't make any more, but can still be found. Optifade will also be good. Their new Optifade Forest will work great in both hardwoods and out West.

ScottSunrise.jpg

Max-1 is also a good choice (not the pack, the shirt and pants in the pic below).

Slevybugle.jpg

I can't remember the pattern name, but the "Cabela's guide camo pattern" (or whatever it's called) in the vest below would be good too.

Slevysunrise.jpg

I really like the look of the King's patterns.

Grumpy.jpg

Two other options that are really good that I can't find pics of are Realtree AP and ASAT. Both are good break up patterns and won't look like big dark blobs on the open prarie. Lots of people swear by both patterns for whitetails in the Midwest and for mulies and elk in the West.

Oh, I just noticed in the pic above, the long sleeve shirt that is under the King's short sleeve shirt is Realtree AP.

If I had only one option, I'd probably go with something "sagebrushy" on the bottom (hard to beat Open Country) and something a little more "conifery/junipery" on the top (tough to beat the King's or the Max-1 type camo). Like this:

ScottSil.jpg

In Western ND wearing all Open Country, from head to toe, would probably be as good as anything. If you wanted to be geared up for a lot more areas out West, I'd go with the suggestion above. But, there's definitely no wrong answer with this.

Good luck on your hunt!

My dad and I hunt eastern Montana, we use a lot of Natural Gear, and a mix of other gray/brown patterns. As long as it isn't super dark like a lot of the stuff you find in the store, it's tough to go wrong. We both own some of the Prairie Ghost stuff, but it is really light colored and doesn't blend well with the areas we hunt because it's more dirt than grass for us.

I just got back from the Black Hills in SD, and over there the ground is all pine needles and rocks. I felt like my Natural Gear pants were not brown enough for there, but in the pictures I saw later it looked pretty good actually. I have a few different tops I was wearing that are all mixes of more brown/gray and a little green that all worked great.

One of the big things for us is we avoid any really dark patterns like a lot of the Advantage and Mossy Oak stuff. It might be fine in really thick woods, but out in the open country you just look like a dark blob and are much easier to see.

I definitely agree, lighter is better out there. And the Badlands? I suspect you'll have a lot of reddish brown in the area. That alone makes me think the Military's Desert Camo would be a good choice to add to your list of possibilities.

Nice pics Scoot and good reccomendations, its nice to see "real" in use pictures.

I got a new set of camo this year and personally liked the ASAT pattern. It blends in good with treestand hunting and western terain.I did ALOT of research before pulling the trigger on this pattern and it was between this or predator. Predator gives alot more color schemes and my next outfit will be some of their spring green for this time of year.

So sorry should have stated one of the best not to start any arguments, I use alot of real tree around here and like it in the fleece I think it gives more depth to the pattern and it's very quiet but when I head west I like the predetor fall brown had good results in wyoming spot and stalk mulies and pronhorns and montana for elk.

I've never hunted out west (someday!) but ASAT and Predator camo are some of the most versatile patterns around and they do work in many different terrains and situations. They may not blend perfectly but they do a great job of breaking up your outline which can be more important.

Scoot thanks for the pics, they were very helpful. Thanks for the tips guys. Like I said all I have are the Mossy oak patterns so i new i needed to find something different. Well now it's time to find the best price! Man nothing beats buying new hunting/fishing gear!