• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappies still spawning

stcspiderman

I was fishing lake kronis in paynesville mn I have not fished it in 2 weeks 2 friends went out there said they where not catching nothing at all.

all other times we fish we where catching them.

could it be the weather been little cold not sunny for a few days

I was wondering if there done spawning in that area?

I am in the zimmerman area and they have not spawned yet on the 2 lakes that I caught and cleaned fish from this weekend.....and I talked to a buddy who's dad fishes the brainerd area and he said they are still staging pre-spawn in his area also....crappies put on the feed bag early in the year and I find even with the warmer water temp that they usually spawn in the mid may to early june and so far they haven't dropped eggs out of the 20 females that I ended up cleaning over the weekend they all had eggs......and no the 20 I took doesn't hurt the lakes that I am fishing as I threw back alot more than kept but a few buddies that I fished with wanted fish.......

On some lakes in this area, I'm guessing they are just starting to spawn. On bigger, colder lakes like Koronis, I think it will be a little while. Just because you are or were finding them in the shallows, doesn't mean they are spawning. One tell tale sign is when you see or catch very black (males) crappies on the nests.

The crappies spawn by my neighbors dock every year. This year we saw a few crappies move in for a day but then move back out when the wind direction changed and I assume the water temp dropped. They typically don't show up to spawn on our little lake until my liloc tree blooms.

Nels

I've been fishing a good ways south of you and the fish are just starting to darken up into there spawning colors. In fact, with the sharp drop in water temp we had over the weekend, the fish acctually seemed to back off on the spawning movement. I'd say late this week or early next week will be the start of the Crappie spawn.

The first big movement shallow is geared towards food, not spawning. Consistent water temps in the low 60's will get the spawn into high gear!

Here in N.C. iowa the crappies have been staging, but only a couple of the females i caught the eggs would leak out. The cold rain, and nights seemed to back them off. Caught only a few males last night. Hope the next few days of sun will turn them back on!

Hope the next few days of sun will turn them back on!

just had a panfish lovefest last weekend with temps in the 50's and rain.......10 inch bulls/12 inch fat crappies....went back out yesterday afternoon thinking it would even better......two fish! water temps were actually 3 degrees higher....go figure.

the great thing with the weather that we have been having is that the staging and spawn will be stretched out this year so we have a longer window to get those aggressive pannies.......you just have to be open when you don't find them shallow to check the 1st break area and maybe a little deeper.....

Some of the lakes I usually fish don't see a crappie spawn until about the 18th - 21st of May. One of these lakes is in very southern MN. Im surprised to hear crappies are spawning, as one of the lakes I fish is quite small and should warm quicker than most lakes.

Crappies won't normally spawn until the water temp is atleast 62 degrees. they will how ever put on the feed bag and prepare for the spawn early on. If the lakes you where on are at 62 degrees or a little more then the spawn may have started. The range I have always heard was 62 to 68 degrees for crappies and 72 to 78 for the sunnies.

SUPID Q? What do crappies like as far where they choose to spawn?

I've seen them spawning in pencil reed, cattails, under docks, and on our lake they spawn in an area of lilly pads adjacent to deep water but its usually just before the lilly pads reach the surface.

Nels