• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for DIY Invisible fence recommendations

troutkingmaster

I just bought my first house and want to install an invisible fence. After meeting with the invisible fence co. last night, I determined that I do not have the $995 to spend on them doing it. I have been looking at the DIY systems from cabelas (Sportdog and Innotek IUC 4100) does anyone have any experiences, good or bad, with either of these or any others to recommend? Thanks

I have used Guardian/pet safe for years and have had no problems with them. Go rent a lawn edger for $30.00 and go to town. Mine covers about 3 acres and took less then four hours to install start to finih.

I just bought a wireless fence made by Petsafe I think it is the PIF300. It has a 1/2 acre perimiter and it is portible. The list on it is $329. I found one on the List that Craig runs and it has 2 collars and was bought in Febuary. I paid $200 for it. I am going to put the collars on the dogs tonight so they can start getting used to them and I am going to put out the boundry flags and I am going to get some reflective tape and start working on the boundries. I won't turn the collars on for another week or 2. I'm not sure how it will go but I have some neighbors that are terrified of larger dogs. The wife said that I had to put the collar on and shock myself before I shocked the dogs... I din't think so....

I installed the Innotek 4100 a month ago. Took my Springer almost 5 minutes to figure out where NOT to go! Very pleased to this point. Last week I even tried to tempt him over the line and he wouldn't go for it. Rent the lawn edger. Saved me a lot of time.

I installed the Sport Dog brand unit and I've been very happy with it. ($200 I think)Like someone said earlier, rent an edger and do it yourself. Its easy! Make sure you follow the directions for training and your set.

I highly recommend the Innotek 4100. I installed it last fall on a 6 acre lot and it works awesome! Have had no issues with any kind of failures and it wasn't that hard to put in. I really can't imagine why more people don't do it if they've got the space. If you decide to go that route and have any questions...just ask.

I bought the petsafe/guardian model from Wally world. My lab doesn't even mess with the line and I can keep her outside all day if I wanted to. From what I found online it seems that most system are made by the same company under different names. 4 of my neighbors all have the same system and everyone is happy with it. Now if she would stop barking when I drink beer with the neighbors we would be in business.

I have invisible fence brand that I installed myself. I removed it from my previous house. The guy at invisible fence wanted me to have them reinstall it but it was pretty expensive as I have about 3.5 acres "fenced" in. Its really easy to install and I also rented a lawn edger and it went pretty quickly. I would check with them and see if you can do the install yourself.

DieselDan

bought the sportdog system for a mothers/fathers day present. havent installed it, but it is capable of 100 acres of coverage, and unlimited dogs with additional collars. have been more than pleased with our sportdog training collar, so opted to stick with the same brand fence

I have the dogtra fence, very happy with it. I think I spent 200, it has all you need. It vibrates to warn, you can adjust the range on when the stimulation begins, comes with flags for training, and comes with a number of levels. Although the lowest setting is pretty strong, I tried it out on my hand our of curiosity.

Install was easy, I bought a trencher/edger which made burying the cable very easy. I would never waste my money with the invisible fence company. just my .02 cents.

I had a buried wire. I had been cautioned that lightning strikes can take out your controller. After a summer of trying to remember to unhook the wires for every thunderstorm- and then remembering to hook them back up after the dog had escaped (darn kids) I decided maybe I was being a little paranoid about it and stopped unhooking. Sure enough a couple months later, after a storm- the controller quit working. I bought a (like new)wireless on HSO-Classifieds and have been in business ever since. I'd also suggest watching the List o' Craig's.

I put a fence in for our 2 dogs about a month ago. I started out going to the box stores to see what was avalable. Started asking questions,doing searching on the Internet. One of the diffrences between having Invisible fence install it and buying at a box store is the gauge of the wire that is used. 20 gauge is what is at the box stores. I found a place on the internet that sells packages of 20,18,16, or 14 gauge wire of however much wire and flags that you need with the controller as a kit. I fenced almost 5 acers it went well. The company that I bought it from was very helpful and answered all questions and some that I didn't ask. The controler was the same as in the box stores. Some rental shops have a machine mad for burying dog fence wire. Thats what I used it worked great burys the wire as you pull the trencher. Good luck Bobcat45 It is simple to do

How does it work on stubborn and tough mind dog? My dog is leashed most of the time can't trust her outside by herself. I wan to install invisible fence but want to know if it will work on my dog. I know barking collar work good on her but don't knownif both shock the same?