• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

yes it is really heavy, but not magnetic, it was found out in the middle of nowhere I don't think it is concrete, close up it looks like a bunch of big rocks fused together by something. Maybe lava?

I'd like a closer look. There is a small formation that is formed from lightning hitting the ground too....I forget what they call them.

I think Dark has a point, the substance he mentioned is called a Fulgurite:

And come to speak of it, that stone does have an uncanny semblance to a Fulgurite, although it would take a serious piece of metal like a Weathervane to cause just such a rock agglutination. Since Fulgurite's have a similarity to Obsidian, due to them being like a tempered natural glass; if you tap a (Flint Knapping) Billet (or Aluminum pipe) against it.. does it have a higher pitch? If so it could be a Fulgurite: Natural Glass and Cryptocrystalline specimens are more sonic in the sounds they emit when struck versus you're average country stone. I own a Fulgurite, and another way you can tell if you're specimen is one, is due to it being as friable as a clod of sand; if it's too heavy it likely is not one... since Fulgurites are like Aerogel in their lightness. The only other possibility of it being in the Fulgurite ballpark, is that it is a lighting zapped stone called a "Rock Fulgurite": which is a native stone that is struck by lighting and contains the glassy vugs caused by the lighting.

Hope this helps.

fulgurite.jpgfulgur2.jpg

It was found before the 60's

I'm still going with concrete over pour. wink

Let's say a 6000 pound, 3/4 minus, 6&1/2 to 7 bag mix with some fly ash and gray tint. This was a common driveway recipe we used the late 1960's minus the gray tint.

When I last checked, sometime in the early 90's there were over 800 different recipe's/combination's of concrete mixes.