• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Drivers License in the Boat?

SkunkedAgain

I just read the MN Boating regs and didn't see anything that requires you to keep your driver's license or a picture ID on board your boat. If I'm in the city, I typically have it on me but when I'm up north - all that stuff stays in the cabin while I'm out.

Is there a law that requires you to have your license on you while boating in Minnesota?

You don't need a driver's license to drive a boat, so I can't see how they could pinch you for not having it.

That being said, we got stopped a few years back in our pontoon. We didn't have a throwable in the boat and received a written warning. My brother-in-law received the warning because he was the only one with an ID on him. I don't know what they would have done if we wouldn't have had ID. Probably followed us back to the cabin.

Mn state law says must have ID on you, if not DL then state issued ID.

I never really heard or seen anyone ticketed for no ID but it is a law.

We have a new CO in our area,I got a warning ticket for leaving my fishing license 100 ft away while fishing off the dock.Thing is it was in the boat shed and the CO had to walk past it anyway to get back to his truck.At the shed I showed it to him of course I already had the warning in hand.

Just a warning but nextime a ticket that will be dropped in court,But I'll have to show in court to get it droped!

I've been reading in the local paper the unusual number of tickets issued by the DNR this year.Wonder if its the same CO?? Sure is consuming lots of court time with the courts being so broke.

According to this you do not have to have your DL with you but you do need to have some type of ID.

This is from the Hennepin County Sheriff's Water Patrol FAQ's.

"Do I need a driver's license to operate a boat in Minnesota ?

You are not required to have a driver's license to operate a watercraft on any lake in the state of Minnesota.

If you are stopped by the Water Patrol or a Conservation Officer, you need to provide the officer with proper identification. This ID is usually a drivers license, but it could also be an Minnesota ID card, school or work ID, passport or any other official identification."

Well the question still isn't answered. Just because some HSOforum doofus has a quote in it doesn't convince me that it's required. Seceondly careful reading indicates that it's only required if you're stopped by the water patrol. Does that mean it isn't required if you're not stopped?

It seems vague and it's only the Hennepin Water Patrol. It seems like it is not required legally, but various localities (like Hennepin County) might require you to provide identification if asked. My guess is that's for boating-while-intoxicated, which might happen a little more on Minnetonka.

Quote:
Boater's License

To operate a vessel with more than 25 horsepower unsupervised, you must obtain a watercraft operator’s permit if you're between the ages of 12 and 17. If you're younger than 12 years old, you may not operate such a vessel, regardless of whether you are properly supervised.

Receive your operator permit by successfully completing a state-approved safety course.

I did find this. Note that it is not from a government site but from a private site. Search DMV dot ORG to find it. There wasn't any other reference to driver's or operator's license requirements. Doesn't mean there isn't any but...

Quote:
Boater's License

To operate a vessel with more than 25 horsepower unsupervised, you must obtain a watercraft operator’s permit if you're between the ages of 12 and 17. If you're younger than 12 years old, you may not operate such a vessel, regardless of whether you are properly supervised.

Receive your operator permit by successfully completing a state-approved safety course.

If I'm reading some of these responses correctly, they are saying that one is required to have a DL or other ID on their person AT ALL TIMES?? Yikes, this sounds very Big Brother-ish to me. Is this true?

We are required to carry our fishing or hunting license on our person. Without some kind of ID, how could a CO reasonably determine the license belonged to the holder?

There is no requirement to have ID on you when operating a boat by the coast guard or the dnr. It appears that it's a recommendation by the Hennepin County Water Patrol, but no where does it state that is a requirement.

Now, lets say they charge you with operating a watercraft while under the influence (this is purely my speculation, and nothing more), I suspect they could hold you until you can provide identification.

marine_man

Well the question still isn't answered. Just because some HSOforum doofus has a quote in it doesn't convince me that it's required. Seceondly careful reading indicates that it's only required if you're stopped by the water patrol. Does that mean it isn't required if you're not stopped?

You can stick your "HSOforum doofus" remark where the sun don't shine. If you could read you would have noticed that it also says "Conservation Officer". Or do I need to explain that to you also.

That doofus remark was kinda uncalled for...thanks for getting that info and sharing it Osakis laws are usually "kinda vague" but that read clear as day to me.

First off its a state law that you need to have ID on you, if your on state water then it applys. Im sure most COs and water potrol would not hassel you much and I have never been asked for ID after being stopped a decent amount of times. Still it is the law so I would say better safe than sorry its really not that hard to stash somewhere in the boat...

There is no requirement to have ID on you when operating a boat by the coast guard or the dnr. It appears that it's a recommendation by the Hennepin County Water Patrol, but no where does it state that is a requirement.

marine_man

Have to agree here. Had some time to kill so did some digging. The only place I saw anything was on the Hennepin County site as I mentioned earlier. Nowhere that I can find in the State Statutes, Minnesota Session Laws, or Minnesota Administrative Rules does it say that you have to have any type of personal identification on you while in your boat.

Isn't it required that you need some sort of identification on you at all times? No matter where you are? I could have sworn watching the show COPS it has been mentioned a few times. I know its not always in this state, but I would believe a law like that is similar in most states.

No big deal to me either way as I keep my fishing licenses in my wallet right next to my DL anyway. I always have it on me that way and never forget it.

Lets all look at this very carefully and we will learn something.

That is everybody knows all of their privileges, rights and entitlements right off the top of their heads and if they do not they will search to learn what they deserve. However when it comes to the responsibility and follow through for the privileges there is a cloud of dust where everyone ran away.

The basis of that would be, if you want to do big boy activities, I.E. fish, hunt, drive a truck, have a gun, ect... you better have the same big boy pants on when it comes to the responsibly aspect of owning up to your mistakes or better yet not trying to find loop holes or skirt the law but put your dang ID and License in your pocket just in case. Good grief, is a CO or any other officials job that easy that they need people to argue with them about the placement of a license. No the law is stated and if you would like to interpret it to your favor then don't get mad when a CO does the same thing.

Now grow up and help each other out instead of acting like a bunch of school girls complaining about this and that.

Lets all look at this very carefully and we will learn something.

That is everybody knows all of their privileges, rights and entitlements right off the top of their heads and if they do not they will search to learn what they deserve. However when it comes to the responsibility and follow through for the privileges there is a cloud of dust where everyone ran away.

The basis of that would be, if you want to do big boy activities, I.E. fish, hunt, drive a truck, have a gun, ect... you better have the same big boy pants on when it comes to the responsibly aspect of owning up to your mistakes or better yet not trying to find loop holes or skirt the law but put your dang ID and License in your pocket just in case. Good grief, is a CO or any other officials job that easy that they need people to argue with them about the placement of a license. No the law is stated and if you would like to interpret it to your favor then don't get mad when a CO does the same thing.

Now grow up and help each other out instead of acting like a bunch of school girls complaining about this and that.

I assure you that I am completely grown up. However I don't believe that at this time the government has made any rules requiring the people to present their papers at the request of any government official.

If you are fishing you have to have and present your fishing license. Likewise if you are driving a car. If you are driving a boat or walking down the street you don't have to have any form of paperwork with you as far as I can find. You do have to stop your boat for a CO.

Be careful lumping many different activities together, some of which are natural inalienable rights protected by the constitution and some of which are privileges granted by the government.