• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Determining range

juniordo1

I was hoping to pick everyone's brains about determining how far away a deer is. I don't have a range finder and my stand is set up where a shot beyond a 35 yards would be impossible. Right now I taped some small trees at various distances from my stand and that is my guide. I use a single pin setup and I can shoot accurately up to 30 yards so I feel fairly confident when a deer is in "the zone". I practice from different angles, elevations, and shooting positions.

In order to "feed the beast" of my archery obsession, I was wondering - What are some other tips/tricks you folks employ from your stand?

practice.. practice.... .practice!!!!.. I do have a range finder.. and during scouting trips am constantly guessing distances and then pacing them off or ranging them with a range finder. Your trick of using some sort of marker is a very good idea and one I also use while stand hunting.

But still nothing beats practice...

Hit up some of the local 3D shoots and you'll be shooting at real life size animals at unknown distances in pretty realist conditions. Can't beat that kind of practice.

jd1,

You're doing about what I would do without a rangefinder. Especially with one pin.

If you had multiple fiber optic pins a couple more options might be available such as:

1) Color coordinate your distance ribbons with your sight colors.

2) Know how much space between your pins an average adult deer takes up at 20 and 30 yards.

For example, I have a sight pin for 15 yds and 30 yds. My decoy target represents an average 2 1/2 yr old deer and it exactly fills the gap between the two pins at 20 yds. Therefore, I kind of do have a 20 yd sight since I can just frame the deer between the pins with dots even (left to right) with the point of impact. Works like a charm and it gives me an open sight window for 20 yd shots.

Sounds like you are doing what is needed. I like to practice from an elevated stand.

I do use a range finder when I first get into the stand. I also tape of 20 and 30 yards. My bow is set up so out to 30, I am in good shape with one pin.

I do not range deer in the woods as I find it at times messes me up when I should be getting ready for a shot.

Yes, 3D shoots are great practice.

I read a recommendation by some 3d tournament expert some time ago about how he ranged different targets. He said he looked at it in 10 yards increments. Look 10yards in front of you, then 10 yards in front of that spot, etc until you get to your target. I have tried it numerous times target shooting and found it to be pretty accurate, but in the woods I prefer to range out various spots beforehand preferably with a rangefinder, or else by pacing them off if need be.

I've shot probably a million arrows at the 30 yard butt at our archery club over the years. As a result, I'm a pretty good judge of where 30 yards is, then I just add or subtract from there.