• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

In floor rod storage vs. side rod storage

whitebassman

Long time lurker here.

Looking at getting a new boat this year, and it is the ever popular Lund vs. Alumacraft debate for me. Looking at the Lund Explorer 1725 SS or the Alumacraft Navigator 175 CS. I understand the whole price differential, but my main question is what you think of the rod storage locker layout?

One main difference is the layout of the rod lockers. In the Lund it is in the center floor, which a Lund sales rep said is ever more popular today. In the Alumacraft it is on the port/starboard side. To me I tend to favor the side rod lockers, as it is easier to load/unload rods while the boat is trailered, without the need to climb into the boat. Is that a big deal? Also, without the center rod locker, the Alumacraft has a nice long bow livewell which I like. I'm more of a panfish/bass/walleye fisherman, so don't anticipate keeping any big long fish such as northerns.

Just want your thoughts on the two layouts of rod lockers and the long livewell in the bow. Thanks!

I think the center rod locker is the best layout. Once you own a boat with that configuration, you won't want to go back. If you use multiple rods for different presentations, it very easy to keep them out of the way and organized in the center. Side rod lockers tend to hold less rods, stack them on closer together, and bend with the bow. With the center rod-locker, you don't have obstructions like consoles when you remove them, so you put less stress or bend in rods and brake less tips. You also will gain the side compartments for storage, it helps to balance the weight better that way. I would rather take a few extra minutes to remove my rods when they are on the trailer. Compared to having a tagled up mess, or broken rod when I'm on the water with side rod-locker storage.

I also prefer center rod storage vs side... it's a lot easier to keep the rods organized in the center than it is on the side and minimize tangles, etc. One thing to compare if you use longer rods is overall rod locker length, but other than that, I'd go with the center storage.

marine_man

I looked at the navigator - I really like the setup. They do have rod storage on both sides so it has a decent amout of space for storing rods. One of the big benefits I saw was that the side storage typically can store longer rods then a comparible sized boat with only center storage. I think that Navigator can store 8' rods (maybe longer). Great if you are a muskie guy. I seem to recall that the Explorer could only do 7' rods.

I've seen some center storage boats where the amount of rods you could store can be misleading. Bottom row could only store real short rods, and the top row was for longer - worth confirming if you go the center storage route, especially if you have mostly longer rods.

I primarily musky fish so the center locker on most boats won't even hold my rods. The side storage is longer as stated above. However, if I were to choose between 2 boats, one with 8 1/2' center and the other with 8 1/2' side lockers, I'd go with the center. Since that really isn't an option on most boats, it doesn't really matter to me since the sides are the only place I can get my longer rods.

Just sold my alumacraft trophy last fall. It hds the gunnel rod storage, which was really a pain. I'm sure the newer models are set up much nicer as far as gunnel storage is concerned. I would definately go the center floor storage. As stated earlier, check on the length of storage so you know exactly what you're getting. One of the reasons I sold my Alumacraft was because I fished out of my friends Pro V last year with the center storage and the baitwells. I decided that was the route I was gonna go this time. Good luck.

That's great, thanks for all the responses. It is so hard picking a boat!!! One day I'm set on Lund, then the next I think of something else, and like the Alumacraft. I think it will be a gut decision. However, I do like the livewell layout on the Alumacraft. The nice long livewell in the bow seems like it is in a more suitable location, then the starboard front bow as it is in the Lund Explorer 1725 SS.

Rod storage is bad in most boats, I to muskie fish and use mostly 9' rods. We use the on the deck storage system. My walleye boat is an Alumacraft 175 Trophy, try storing 20 rods in that set up. The muskie boats a Tracker Targa 17 with center and side rod lockers but you can't get anything but 7'6 in the side locker and nothing in the poorly designed floor locker, so we store them on the sides on the locker lids grin

That's great, thanks for all the responses. It is so hard picking a boat!!! One day I'm set on Lund, then the next I think of something else, and like the Alumacraft. I think it will be a gut decision. However, I do like the livewell layout on the Alumacraft. The nice long livewell in the bow seems like it is in a more suitable location, then the starboard front bow as it is in the Lund Explorer 1725 SS.

Most guys would love to have this problem ... which every you get, you'll likely be very happy.

If you are open to Crestliners - FishHawk & Raptor models have center & side rods storage.

i have both

center 8 rods 12 if you just let some sit on the bottom

it will hold 4-6 close to 8ft

i also have storage in the one side that i can get 3-4 9 ft or better rods in

i like the center its easy quick access in and out keeps the floors

clear is walking around easy..and lots of other storage no tackles boxes

or coolers in the way built in cooler

its 2095DCX Tar Craft

I think both have their advantages as far as center or side...it really all does depend on length...

In my opinion a pair of rod savers is better than both since you decide the lenght and the spot that you install them(two sets of velcro straps that work wonders!!!). My favorite rod locker style is the tube ones since it keeps rods sperate and from getting tangled otherwise seriouisly look into the strap/install yourself type they work great and hold rods tight...I would never think of using anything else

I've looked at the Dominator, but I much prefer the open layout of the Navigator. The sides are a step down, allowing one to lean over and land a fish. I'm not so sure about the flip up back seats, though the more I think of them the more I like them. So many decisions! I'm looking for the right boat for me, as I don't want to change a few years later.

The only thing I am dead set on is the color. BLACK! Now will it be Lund's Black or Alumacraft's Mica Black?

not long enough rod storage is always a problem, u can't find a boat with 8-9 foot rod lockers unless u move up to 20 foot boat, lund are another 5 grand and i think alumacraft is just as nice as the lund, and i get to have my yamaha on the alumacraft without dishing out more funds. Like the side rod lockers better cause my casting deck goes straight across compared to like the lund pro guide that comes out in the middle cause of the rod locker. I just purchased a new boat myself and went with the naviagator 175 tiller. can't wait to take here out musky fishing.

I bought a Navigator 165CS last year. I really like it for the smaller rails, versus the big gunnels on the Dominator. I wish that Navigator had the Dominator's flip up seats (ended up buying 4 seats for the Navigator) and as others have said, I think that the center rod storage is probably better. All in all though, we all make compromises when making purchases. Figure out which features are most important to you and go with it. Either way you'll have a great boat.

One point that a buddy made about his new-ish Lund is that it has a track system going around the gunnels that makes it super easy to attach rod holders, beverage holders, etc.

Thanks SkunkedAgain. Compromises are the key, and the biggest is $$$. I do like the Lund SportTrac system around the gunnels, and below too. If the cover needs adjustment you can unscrew one of the snaps and slide it if needed.

I like the price of Alumacraft, but I still lean towards Lund in that it has the smaller details such as SportTrac, etc. The Lunds I looked at were all decked out with MinnKota Terrova, but no graphs. The Alumacraft did not have a trolling motor, so I figure another $1300 for the Terrova. So adding these small things, the price isn't too far off with Alumacraft and Lund. Just gotta keep looking I guess. I'm gonna head down today to the NW Sports Show and get a better look at the Lund Explorer and Alumacraft Navigator.

Whitebassman,

I looked last year at both Alumacraft and Lund, I kept going back to the Lund. This is my 2nd boat, both Lunds.

Like someone else said when you find the boat that has most of the features you want, That'll be the manufacturer you'll go with.

I also looked at the 1725 SS and just about bought it but the 1825 is a foot longer and 4" widerand is just a beauty.

I went with a new non current boat. which saved a nice amount of $$$$.

I like the features in both boats, my Explorer is 18' and I wouldn't trade it for all the other tin boats combined. The center rod locker is awesome, and if you need to I believe one of the side lockers will hold rods over 8' and is lockable.

WW

PS don't beat yourself up over which boat to buy, You'll buy the one that suits you best.

I know what you mean when you say you keep going back to the Lund, me too.

I am ready to pull the trigger on the 1725 Explorer SS, that is enough size for me, but I am tempted to do the 1825 with 150hp motor, but that would likely be more kaching.