• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which winch to buy??

jkjkoda

Daughter won 500 polaris sportsman want to get a winch but have no clue which way to go. Would like either the plow or bucket any thoughts out there would really help!! You no salesmen I would like FM advice??

I have a warn on mine and it works great and gets used alot for plowing and also getting myself and others out of sticky situations....haha! The good thing about warn is that there is a lifetime warranty on them and they are very quick to fix them and return them to you if there is a problem with them!! A lifetime warranty is hard to beat on any product!

I would stick with the plow for moving snow. I tend to think a bucket wouldn't be as efficient as a plow (too long to raise/dump/lower, etc.). As far as winch brands, I own a Warn now and have not had any issues but will seriously consider the Viper line if I ever need a replacement. They are local and stand behind what they sell and the price is definitely right! Also go with the synthetic line as others have said.

Get the warn, well worth the extra money over the off brands. I have a 2000lb from 1995 that still works as good as it was new, a 2500 from 2005 that still works good as new, and a 3000 rt from 2008 that I love the best because it will pull anything with ease and the big handle for switching from free spool to engaging the winch.

What is the big deal with the synthetic cable??? I have the normal cable and don't see a problem with it! I used it for plowing this year and did snap it once but just bought a cable clamp and clamped it back together, no big deal!! I have a buddy that had the sythetic cable and he must have snapped it 2 or 3 times this winter!

Synthetic doesn't backlash as easy, has no memory and doesn't destroy your hands/fingers when it starts to fray. You do need to ensure that your fairleads are in good shape with no sharp edges or burrs. That's when you'll start to break a sybthetic cable.

After using the synthetic I will never use the steel cable again. If you do break it, you just tie a new knot and your back in business.Spools easier, and like LEP said, your hands will thank you for it!

Well i might be in the market for a new winch i just have a Cheap Venom 3000 right now and it wont freespool so i ran all the line out and back in and it still wont so i dont know what to do is it worth it to try and fix it or just buy a Warn XT30? Or if anyone else knows of a really good brand with the Nylon Rope instead of Cable Thanks

I have the Warn 2.5XT with the synthetic rope on my Sportsman 500 and love it as well. I use it for plowing and rescuing me from the mud. Great winch. I bought a look alike previously and that worked for a while, but then went to the Warn.

I'd also suggest the VIPER brand. VERY good and not to expensive. EXCELLENT customer service. I just recently switched and got away from warn. Warn had outstanding winches back in the day and they would last a long time. I've had bad luck with the newer ones and so have some friends...cheaply made??? not sure, maybe their cutting out on quality parts to cheap the price down to compete.

I have been leaning twards the Warn now and I did look at some superwinches and Tracker and well i have a Venom right now and its kinda a piece of junk it wont freespool and it wont let line out unless it really wants to and it sounds terrible but i guess i havent taken it apart to look at it and well i dont know if i want to anyhow for a winch that was about 170 New is it worth it to even mess with it?

Cowhead,

Earlier in this thread you said you had a Venom, not a Viper. Since they aren't the same, just wondering which one you have. Would hate to point people in the wrong direction. wink

If you have a VIPER and are having issues, give them a call in Rogers and they can help get you running again. Their customer service is top notch and the guy that does their troubleshooting knows his stuff.

I retract my pervious statement I have a Venom Sorry for any confusion i also changed my post too to help out with that? I have seen Fleet Farm Sells a Tracker with a wireless remote and well its about 220 but then again i suppose you get what you pay for? once again sory for the confusion