• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

crappie blank recommendations

Looking to build a spring crappie/gill rod

I will be using this rod in the boat casting at rush pockets

matted weed pockets and timber any suggestions as far as length and action. I am looking to cast a float and small jig with accuracy. Thanks in advance

Right now I'm probably limited to keeping the guides/handle/reel seat and blank or the rod itself around a hundred or so for my first one, maybe I can squeeze a hundred and fifty out of it.

I already purchased a hand wrapper and some tools and building supplies. smile

I've built some 7-0 fast-UL rods that work great for crappie and one of my all time favorite rods, they were built on Lamiglas blanks that are no longer made unfortunately. I don't think your going to get the bang for your buck out of any of the St. Croix blanks. I'd suggest Mudhole's MHX S841 or S842-2 ($40/$50) and use #4 running guides to keep the tip light and 2 high frame single foots. Grab a handle kit and you are at your door for around $100.

One thing you are going to run into with real light/ultra light rods it that by the nature of the blank the action is not going to be real crisp in longer blanks. I have a St Croix SCIII 6 foot and that is pretty fast, but longer and they tend to get a bit limber. I have not built on a Rainshadow ultra light yet, but I am sure that will come.

I would look at the Rainshadow IP840 and IP841. Both are 7' blanks with RX7 graphite. I run both of these blanks. The IP841 worked great last fall on the Crappies using a 1/16 jig and 2" tail swim jigging. The IP840 is lighter and I use it for Bobber fishing and very light presentations. You can’t beat the price smile

They are proven blanks that offered superior sensitivity and durability.

The MH blanks are new and you always take that chance with bad constriction, mandrels, sanding, material.....ext.

The price is right but after you put your time effort and $ in components the build "THE" ulterlight, it would suck to have a bad blank.

Andy

I fish crappies almost exclusively and have several crappie rods ranging from 6'3" to 9'6". For all around versatility, extreme sensitivity, and great casting along with accuracy I would have to give the nod to my custom St. Croix Avid 7'6" one piece ML with and X Fast tip. The tip sensitivity and X Fast action loads great to a nice but section allows it to be paired great with 3-4lb fireline which increases the sensitivity even more while allowing for amazing casting distance. I usually run a small spro swivel with a flouro leader with the fireline. It also runs as a great bobber rod whether it's a set or slip boober, and doubles as a phenomenal live bait/lindy rod for walleyes. You should be able to put one together for $150 or less. I have other rods that are all great but this one takes the cake, I'd put it against any other rod for crappies.

Although Light or UL rods can work, they just have too much slop in the blank which doesn't lend towards casting accuracy or great hook sets. I don't care much for rods that have more of a parabolic curve to them, just preference I guess. Most L an UL rods I have ever run across would never see time in my boat, just too much slop and whip to them.

Hey fisherdog19 I have tried fireline on 7 foot ML Ledgend and found myself

ripping the lips off crappie, does that extra six inches make that much difference or are you backing off on your drag or something? I also have found the lite actions to be very whippy. Sounds like you've really zero'd in on "The Go To" crappie rod!

Jiggy - I have used fire line since it first came out and it fills about 75 percent of my fishing needs today(everything but flyfishing). Hooksets take some getting used to...

Backing off the drag is first, second is conditioning yourself to ease up on the hooksets which is easier said that done at first... cool