• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

crappie blank recommendations

I would bet that the Legend ML is a bit stiffer and doesn't have as soft a tip as the Avid. The Avid rod has a very soft tip that loads to a nice backbone. I also run a Fenwick Elite Tech 7'2" ML walleye rigging rod that has a softer tip but a moderately fast action which is more forgiving towards the middle of the rod and lends to a more parabolic curve and rod bend. I don't have an issue with missing crappies and I don't let up on the hook set, but the drag does slip some. I rarely miss fish due to ripping the hook out as most of the time I have them hooked well inside the mouth and not in the jaws where the membrane is thin. If you tned to rip the hook out of their mouths go with a larger size 4 or even size 2 jigs, I run no collar jigs with plastics most of the time. If you run minnows it may be the culprit as the jig may not get to deep when they hit. The only rod I run mono on is my walleye jig pitching rod (fireline lends to bent open hooks when casting short distances to weed pockets and giving a good hook set) and my 9'6" bobber rod.

Another nod for Rainshadow and Forecast (a step below Rainshadow) from the Batson line. A "well-funded" friend fishes a custom rod built on a Forecast blank with a wood handle and said he leaves his Loomis at home now. Another friend from NW Ontario who fishes bass tournaments has fished lots of high end rods from factory to custom and prefers Rainshadow with split grip cork.

Thanks for the response guys! I used to plastic worm fish for Bass a lot and I have to think harder about lightening up my hooksets on the papermouths. I've been using Vanish on my Legend ML and do pretty well but I

might have to try backing off the drag and giving the fireline a try again.

I've still got the itch to build that perfect crappie rod it sounds like that Avid 7'6' is zeroing in. I use Fireline on most of my ice sticks, wouldn't be without it!