• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Apostle Islands, Chequamegon Bay Fishing Reports

JarJar-

Wow nice job. My buddy and I got skunked out in the deep water. So did the 15 or 20 other guys that set up all around us. (I went to the spot I showed you on my map) How about trading some ice fishing lessons for a trip out of Duluth in my Baha this spring. I wil be out there Saturday again also. I picked up a new rod and reel that need to be broke in.

Conditions have certainly changed a bit out in the islands - and could be changing as I type due to the massive winds after this long warm spell. Am sure that the ice from Bayfield out to the South End of Hermit should be safe, but ya never know with how much momentum the waves can build as it is windy all the way to Superior. Be sure to definately check for rolling ice tomorrow if you are coming and spots the ice may have left.

OVerall, fishing has been consistant the past few days. Been finding fish relatively shallow and deep, so a good mixture of depths for Lakers.. Same goes for the size of the fish - some WHOPPERS and some good eating fish too. Whitefish have been biting well too. Shallow water fish perked up just a bit during the warm-up and I hope that continues!!

021011johnweb.jpg

22inchsplake1web.jpg

021211timweb.jpg

img02651web.jpg

Finally got out in the boat on sunday! Too bad there was some pretty bad waves out on superior so we had to fish out of washburn. We didn't do to bad. Picked up some salmon and a few browns with a 27.5 inch steelhead to end the day!

So, a bit of warmer weather around - lets hope it continues that way.. It has definately been a cold spring. Windy too..

But, we still caught fish - trolling has been good still, mainly coho with some trout mixed in. And now, the smallies are starting to snap - a little bit of everything for everyone.

Anyone else been making it out lately?

full-7426-8823-05_10_11web.jpg

full-7426-8824-05_06_11web1.jpg

full-7426-8825-05_16_11bergweb.jpg

full-7426-8826-05_17_11web.jpg

full-7426-8827-05_10_11web.jpg

How would Chequamegon Bay be for a 14' boat with a 7.5 horse? Is it an issue of pick the day? Or would you avoid it?

I am heading up that direction to stay at my future brother in laws cabin near Cornucopia. I will likely be bringing my buddies little boat. I'm looking to catch whatever.

We had planned to do a day with a guide like Jim but work has been slow this moth.

Any ideas would help. Thanks

If the weather stays calm, and winds are around the 10-11 MPH I would think you would be okay. Just might want to hug the calmer shore lines to stay peaceful. Not sure how the fishing may be, but I know they have been doing good for smallies..Drop me a PM if you want some details on a few other area lakes I know of....Gd Luck!

Am looking to make a trip down next week and am wondering what you guys would recommend. Ideally we would like to find a mixed bag of trout and salmon but would be happy with either. Is it too early to fish in front of the rivers for salmon? Any lure colors or technigues working better than others? Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

Dave,

Havent been around for a bit and just caught this.. Hope I am not too late - if I am, sorry about that.

But, fish are in front of the rivers right now - a bit slow the past few days, but it was gang busters for me last week. Think we need another wave of fish to come in, which should be happening soon. The fish are there, but just not as many as last week. Overall though, this week into next week has always been my best for catching on Salmon in the river areas.

Bright colors have been best - oranges, chart, etc on spoons or sticks. And Flasher and or Dodger/Fly combos have been taking fish. Fish the top half of the water column, no matter the depth.

Good luck.

Jim,

Not sure if you'll see this, but if so, have you heard anything out of the Saxon harbor area? I'll be down there fishing tomorrow with my son and father in law for the day. Will be looking for coho and browns and maybe a stray eye if we get down toward the bad river area. Temps will be a bit cool but winds are supposed to lay down nicely.

Sorry, am late on this again.. Just been pretty busy on the water..

Anyhow, still some salmon around. Not huge numbers, but if you put your time in, you will catch a few still.. Browns, Steelhead and Splake mixed in a bit too - again not huge numbers.

We went 5 for 7 the other day and 2 for 2 the next. But, as of late, pretty much on the bass hunt - fall smallies are a blast!!

Photo- should be a few fishes around still. Was out last Sunday and put some nice fish in the boat. Havent been out since though, on the road.

For those coming to the area, wanting to sneak out for some late season SmallMouth, I put together a video explaining on what I use out here and what I look for to find the fish.

Its still a bit iffy, especially with this last warm-up.. There is some fishable ice, but, its something that you need to check for yourself right now... From Second Landing to a small strip along the Ashland Shoreline..

Alot more ice blew out with the warm weather and strong winds.Hopefully with the next cold snap, things will get back going..

So, yeah - we are rocking out here on the big water now... From Ashland over to Washburn, we finally have a sheet of ice that is locked in (hopefully will stay for the season now). North of there, everything is still a bit iffy with the wind that is here, despite the cold.

Atv and Snowmobile travel on the Ashland side and walking from Bono Creek and north today - but by the weekend, I would say those spots should be able to support machine travel as well. As always, check as you GO!!!

And with that, here is a short video about gearing up for our water..