• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Apostle Islands, Chequamegon Bay Fishing Reports

We've been pretty busy on the open water already here... Trolling shallow for Browns, Coho, Splake, Steelhead and everything inbetween. Also, out deeper for some great Lake Trout action, both trolling and jigging!!

Its been a great spring so far..

Hey Jim-

Any tips for me? For free?

We fish out of corny, but in the spring only catch JR. Cohos in real shallow.

Do you think we would have more luck out deeper? Or maybe up by bayfield?

I know that giving up fishing info is probably not great for business but it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-

Most fish will be shallow this time of year, but in certain areas, they will go deep. Especially when talking about connected points with deep water associated.

And right now, coho are really ruling the roost as far as the fish catch. So, better then no fish!! smile

Thing I see most folks do is the same thing over and over again.. I try and experiment with depths and baits each day I can fish on my own.. And, from year to year, find different patterns and spots because of it.

And, moving ports can be a good idea. Corny is great and I catch a lot of fish out of there though!!

On to the Smallmouth!! Tis the season, as the opener will be here this weekend. Pretty excited for some great bass action out here on the big water. Should be good, if the weather plays nicely. Winds might be a big limiting factor. But, time will tell. Fish will be in pre-spawn, as the other day, temps were just breaking 50 in the Sand Cut and just in the mid 50's in the Kakagon. Getting east winds right now, so temps will drop a bit.

Trolling bite has cooled off a bit, still getting some fish, but not as many as we were in the beginging of the season. Just have to cover water now and find the active pods of Coho. Long Island and South Channel area seems the best.

We've also gone after some bigger Lake Trout and done ok. Not huge numbers, but some quality fish.

Action by us has been pretty steady since ice out. But, now that the water has reached the mid 40's to low 50's, on the top, action has really been good for Lake Trout. Should stay that way well into August now.

We have been finding fish shallow, 80FOW or less, around Islands. And deep, 100FOW or more, on Flats. Shallow, we have been running a big spread of everything from surface stickbaits off boards to core off boards and tail gunning them straight out the back and of course dipsy and rigger sets too. Deep, all seems to be a rigger bite, as they want it as close to the bottom as possible, and with fish podded up, I dont want any other lures around high, so then I can turn over the fish as quick as possible. Since last Thursday we've put 62 lakers in the net.

full-7426-21114-06_02_12web1.jpg

full-7426-21115-06_01_12web2.jpg

full-7426-21116-06_02_12web3.jpg

full-7426-21117-06_02_12web.jpg

full-7426-21118-06_04_12web.jpg

full-7426-21119-05_31_12web.jpg

Its been a crazy summer. Fishing has been excellent and continues to be good. Now, we are pushing into the fall season, and things will change a bit.

One more month of Lake Trout season (closes the 1st of Oct), Salmon are starting to show up, SmallMouth will start binge feeding more and more heavily, Browns and Splake will start to show up, and inland musky fishing will heat up. Oh, and grouse/woodcock season will be here before we know it!!

Lots to do up here. And, if you like less boats and good fishing, now is the time to come on up and check out the area. Give a call if you are interested in learning more about the area.

Good luck!!

full-7426-24092-08_31_12web.jpg

full-7426-24093-09_02_12web.jpg

full-7426-24094-08_19_12web.jpg

If anyone is thinking about going out deep for lakers on this slush ridden ice, I would recommend against it for the rest of the ice season. My group made it out Sunday, but warm temps made it worse while we were out there and getting stuck was the norm. The worst of it is between Red Cliff and Basswood Island and it's everywhere. Warm temps forecasted all week so be smart and safe folks!

See you on the open water....

Any report on ice conditions. Last I heard, Ashland area is looking good, and good ice is reaching through Washburn. Bayfield still needs some time, but heard they are closing the ferry down this week and making preparations for the ice road? Looking forward to being out there this weekend. Stay safe!

Any new ice reports for chequamegan bay? I would like to make a run up that way at some point this winter. Gillespie did a waters and woods segment with Josh Tiegen that appeared to be filmed during the cold front conditions we had a few weeks back. Any new reports?

Tunrevir~

I was in Jamaica for the last 7 days but did fish out of Washburn and Bayfield areas before that. Wheeler or sled travel is best, but be cautious as always. We talked to a guy that pulled out a father daughter the day before we were fishing. Be safe and don't take chances. Honestly you can find active fish near shore trolling around. We caught fish in 20 FOW. Good luck

After I seen Gillespie do his show on chequamegon bay a couple weeks ago, I began to really consider swapping my lake of the woods trip in march for chequamegon bay. If reports continue to be super slow up there, I'll probably make that change official! Will depend on conditions of course.

3 hours ago, Jluangrath said:

Let's get this going again! Was out two weeks ago. Went out of Washburn caught 2 cohos, a brown and a laker in 30 FOW. Using live whiner under a jaw jacket!

Welcome to the forum.

"Using "live whiner"  ????   under a jaw jacket!"  Jaw Jacker?   :confused: