• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone have some good pictures from their mushroom hunts? The spring will be here before we know it and I'm getting stoked to find the motherload this year!! Last year was pretty crappy with how dry it was in the spring. Still found a few real nice areas loaded with yellow morels. I'll post pics later.

what is the reason to pic shrooms?

For me its to get out in the woods, get some exercise, and spend some time 'hunting' for a rewarding and tasty treat that grows ONLY in the spring (the morel mushroom).

If you've never done it before be sure to go with someone who knows what they are doing. Not all mushrooms are edible, and some, like the deathcap, can kill you. Do a google search on this little beast if you are curious about it. I found a bunch last year.

what do you look for and where,

I have been out twice in the past 2 years and have never found any morels, but found a really blue/purple one with a big cannapy, would have made a sweet pic.

It's def. enjoyable.

There are some pic's posted here of what they look like. But the best thing you can do is search the web for sites or go to the library and get some books to look up how-to. Don't just go picking and eating shrooms in the woods unless you know what they are. Or it will be your last trip in the woods. frown

Two of my buddies and I found these last year in one spot. The next morning we hit the motherload. There were probably 6-7 times as many as what are in this picture, and they were all under one tree in a pasture. Absolutely prime condition, too. I think I almost had a heart attack.

My dad and I also found a bunch of lobster mushrooms grouse hunting last fall. Those were really tasty, although I still think morels are the best. Puffballs were out in full force later in the summer too. Yuck.

P5091074.jpg

Two of my buddies and I found these last year in one spot. The next morning we hit the motherload. There were probably 6-7 times as many as what are in this picture, and they were all under one tree in a pasture. Absolutely prime condition, too. I think I almost had a heart attack.

My dad and I also found a bunch of lobster mushrooms grouse hunting last fall. Those were really tasty, although I still think morels are the best. Puffballs were out in full force later in the summer too. Yuck.

P5091074.jpg

If you think finding 3 is a big deal then! confused Looks like you did find a few shrooms also! laugh

Wow that is just sick!!!!!!!

Puffballs can be good eating... They are solid through and through when they are growing, but turn hollow and nasty after they mature. Pick em when they are still 100% solid.

Wow that is just sick!!!!!!!

Puffballs can be good eating... They are solid through and through when they are growing, but turn hollow and nasty after they mature. Pick em when they are still 100% solid.

How do you make them? I've tried them multiple times and just don't think they are all that good. The ones I have eaten have all been very fresh, too. Last summer I must have found about 20 of them one day, and just picked a smaller one about the size of a cantelope. It was perfectly white inside and very dense. I sliced it up and fried it in butter and garlic, choked it down and gave some away and tossed the rest. Just not my thing. Its the only type of mushroom I have ever had that I didn't like. Maybe I am doing something wrong?

Last year was very sparce for morels. I only had one good day of finding them. The year before was great for me. My bride and I ate them several ways, dried some and I gave some away. I handed a bag of them to a friend, he looked into the bag, and yelled to his wife,"The menu for supper has just changed!" A neighbor woman was very appreciative and asked me where I had found them. I said I could tell her but then I would have to kill her. She understood. I run a small tree service in the warmer months, so I remember every dead elm that I take out and start checking the roots about three years after its gone. Some never pan out and some are golden. The best morel story was of a guy I work with who's married to a Japanese woman. I called him one morning to ask whether she wanted some fresh mushrooms. He said thanks but he was packing to go fishing and didn't have the time to come over. He called back five minutes later to say he had told his wife and she said that he DID have the time. I think I became one of her favorite people.

I agree Bob, I also had a tough year last spring but I didn't get out much due to my knee replacement done in March.

Boy do I plan on making up for it this spring.

I had 3 different friends bring me plenty of morels last spring while I was laid up to enjoy many meals.

I agree Bob, I also had a tough year last spring but I didn't get out much due to my knee replacement done in March.

Boy do I plan on making up for it this spring.

I had 3 different friends bring me plenty of morels last spring while I was laid up to enjoy many meals.

Harvey, you let me know if you need some help with that knee this year. You can point out the spots and I will go get them for ya! laugh