• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

33 pound 8 ounce Pike Caught In Metro

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey i know what you're thinking, but hey -

my feeling is that if an angler caught a pike that big there's a pretty good chance it's going on the wall. personally i'd have released any pike over 26", but i realize a once in a lifetime fish is a bit different

so i guess i dont have much of a problem with a guy spearing something that big, just more of the 28-38 size that aren't trophies but are (in my feeling) too big for eaters

If you look way off in the distance of the 1st pic, you can see what looks to be a few ice houses. But that looks to be a pretty big lake, so the obvious choices would be the croix and minnetonka, with white bear being an honorable mention. It's all for not though, because I am ruling that fish a non metro fish. I'll give the old guy the benefit of the doubt however, and say he got it in the metro. I don't know for sure, but is spearing banned on forest and white bear? That would rule those lakes out. As much as I like big marine, I just don't think a beast like that could come from there these days. So it's either square or the croix...I'm still stickin' with the croix wink

Thanks for the info Jrod....

JB: Please don't think I was trying to bust you! Interseting though the photo properties do say hotspotoutdoors.com on them, so "someone" did put them there.....hmmmm.

Again, didn't mean to discredit you at all JB.

cjac, no offense taken at all. I was quite flabber gasted myself when I seen the pic in my post shocked

skolfoppa, I didn't think you were being sarcastic. My dad has fished big marine since he was a kid (can you imagine that lake back in the 50's and 60's?) He told me there used to be mammoth pike taken out of there. It's all good wink If a big one should ever come out of there though, hopefully it'll be me holding it grin

Note on the photo of the pike that initiates this thread (the one held by the gentleman standing in front of the black house):

The "properties" that identify this fish as a "Tobin" fish originate with Hot Spots Outdoors and not with the source files of the original photo. You'd have to click on the original/actual file to see the true properties. I'm not saying information about the fish is or isn't true, but in this case, properties don't tell you much.

The fish in the first pic doesn't look like it was speared - no blood on ice by door or on fish, no ice saw, no spear. The house looks like a handicapped sattelite portable bathroom and the guy looks like a french canadian. Just my observations.

What does a French Canadian look like?

My oh My, Eh?