• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clam Flowage Fishing Reports

I've never fished Clam Lake (near Siren) for crappies. If a guy was to go there near the end of next week, what suggestions would you give? Lower or Upper? Depths? I know the north end of lakes are usually better in the spring. Is this the case with Clam as well?<P>Thanks,<BR>AWH

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

will be around yellow river this weekend,thought with the heat might try the
flowage for northerns on large suckers,any
activity to post about the flowage lately,
or may just stay on the river or yellow,anything biting in the area at all??
any muskie action.......

I have not fished Clam since January 15-17 but I can say I always fish two tip-ups for pike and one rod for bluegills and crappies. The last weekend I was up was when it was very COLD so that slowed the fishing. I got many pike the last weekend I fished Clam but they were all small. The bluegills were all big but I did not get more than 12 per day. The crappies were even slower than the bluegills but they were nice sized.

I fish the south end of Big Clam most of the time. I have only fished Little Clam a few times in the last three years since my in-laws built a house on Big Clam. I seem to have better luck on Bg Clam but that could be because I have fished it more.

Just a quick report on calm from Sat. We fished by the open water on little Clam in the morning and caught about 6 sunnies. Later we moved to the south end of big Calm and fished the hole. There we caught a few sunnys and a crappie. A few snakes and a ton of them dinky perch. Did see a 13 pound pike caught right next to us. It was a slow day but what a great day to take in some rays. You know its all good when your down to your t-shirt while your outside icefishing.

It's never had or needed a bubbler in the winter. The clam river flows through and on into the St. Croix. There is GREAT panfishing there when you find them at the obvious panfish times of day (but mostly late ice). The is a small hole maybe 7 feet on the southern part you'll often see shacks on that target crappies after dark otherwise mostly gills but you'll drill alot of holes before you find the right water where it's not too weedy but also not too featureless. There are also nice eyes in there but not many people ice them, just in the summer. Also, some VERY big pike as well. I've always done better on the southern part of the lake. I use to live in Spooner and fished it fairly often. Stop by Big Mike's right by the narrows/bridge and ask about the ice when you're up there and how people are doing. He's very helpful. Ice has been great on most of those burnett/washburn county lakes except the larger ones but I don't know what they got for snow last night?

Hamswank

Hey thanks for the info im going up in that area on monday, in search for basically anything. I want to get on some eyes but, ill take anything(Crappies, sunfish, perch). The lake im on is POQUETTES LAKE and its got everything thing in there but the eyes on hard to get on atleast in the summer. What would be the lake of choice in this area.

I've caught some nice eyes on POQ in the winter but more nights with nothing but a couple of bullheads (i'm sure you're use to em in the summer). As many lakes there are there in the area you're kind of in a dead spot there where you're at (as far as being close to good walleye water). You could drive north 10 miles and walleye fish at big mak. Sand has got some eyes I guess but never fished it much. Yellow in webster of course but thats a drive for you too. Shell Lake is great for numbers but not many big ones. Honestly, if i was on Poquette I would have em in the water when at the cabin at all times. You'll get some fish there and there are very nice eyes in there as well as some crappies after dark. If you're right there- I would fish it- less driving around=more time on the water.

Hamswank

Ya i was thinking of hitting up big sand i heard it has alot of walleyes in there and big ones too. Just not sure of where to go on the lake. Never been there and i know nothing about the lake expect what ive heard about it. You have caught some nice eyes.Where at on poq? i heard the drop off by the access right off of the point is a good ice fishing spot. Ive tried many times for walleyes in the summer with nothing. Everything else i haved luck with. I heard that it had somewhat of a freeze over and killed alot of fish in there. Every bass that weve been getting is like 14 inches and there all about the same besides this summer when i got a nice 4 plus out of there. I was very surprized. This summer a guy got a ten pounder(walleye) out of there and ive gotten some nice pike and crappies though so i now it didnt have a total winter kill. You know anything about this. Where on POQ would you try for eyes. I havent done a whole lot of ice fishing. Im guessing around 15-20 feet

That drop by the landing IS a good spot. With 3 lines I would just sent out 3 tip-ups on that drop all three diff depths and you'll get a couple. Like I said- not every night but do it a couple times and you'll get a confidence boost thats for sure. I've caught over a half dozen in one night there before. And yes, there are big large mouths- bigger than that 4 pounder and more of them than you think also! I doubt the winter kill theory in that lake. You hear that about every lake up there after a hard winter but very few actually have a hard kill. We need LOTS of snow to cut that light off all winter. I know of a 23 lb. pike out of there too but it was in the early 80's! Hit it man- but don't tell my buddy that lives across the lake with the private landing that I told you this!

Alagnak thanks for the info. This is great you gave me a boost a confidence in the lake alot. I didn't think there were that many big fish in there. A bunch of 4+ pounders huh? And i heard from one of the niebor guys that there is some bigger northerns in there 23 pounds is quite the northern. Im going to fish that drop-off and try off of the swimming beach in more of the depths. I heard there was a little gravel pit somewhere kinda over by the bay with the swimming beach. Just cant find it. How much ice are on the lakes in that area, can i travel any where or do i still have to watch were im walking?

Yeah- the 23lber is no bull either, it's on this old farmers wall (I know it was 20 years ago) but he has 4 northerns from that immediate area over 20 lbs in his life. He fishes strictly dead bait (cuz he's too cheap to buy minnow i bet!). I won't be up there this weekend our i'ld maybe go out there- i'll be up next week for a week and a half. Anyway- they didn't get as much snow and we had much more ice up there than here. There are many lakes we are driving vehicles on up there at this time. I would never drive one on Poq but I wouldn't worry too much about foot travel or even a sled at this time unless you see a ton of slush. Good luck and I hope you get a couple of eyes because a lot of it is a confidence deal. If I were on that lake I would rarely drive somewhere else to walleye fish when you can right there. During the day I would travel to clam or bashaw for gills and pike or maybe some other small lakes. As you know there aren't THAT many people that fish it (Poq). You put as many people on there as one of these lakes here in the [PoorWordUsage]ties and you'ld hear about it right away. I'm unaware of the gravel pit theory though- can't help you there. Unfortunatly I have done better at late times of night for eyes than I have at the traditional dark/after dark so LET EM SOAK!!!!

Alagnak

Hey thanks alot for the info well see how i do. Why would you never drive on it. Even though its small enought to walk and im bringing the new portable i got. Just wondering. We might try a different lake but, now you got me pumped i cant wait to get out on the ice with a beer in my hand. Ill be set!! Weve also got a few slabs(crappies) in the summer and hammerhandle haven up there. I think itll be enough action for 3 days. If not we can always go to a different lake or ask big mike. Hes a great man and always willing to help. ill report back on here be out twice here in the metro and scunked both times. I bet one of my friends a hundred bucks that doesnt fish much we would catch something up there. Hes been with me the last two times(in the metro) and the ice is a factor(thickness) and just havent gotten into any fish not even a bite.