• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite Outboard Motor Poll

marine_man

As long as something Japanese is hanging off the back of my next boat I will be happy.

Then we wonder how come companies are shutting down in this country.

Crestliner is shutting down it's production and leave almost 100 people home, they are owned by Brunswick.

Guess who owns Mercury Marine ? Brunswick Corp.

Send the money to Japan, they will be really glad you did. Beware you might get a motor that suddenly takes off on it's own....

I voted Mercury and I have 5 on my boats, and in my garage.

I have been running yamahas the last two boats over the last 13 years, a 175 carbed, and now a 200 HPDI, and zero problems. I also had a merc and a johnson before the yami's without any problems. they all make good products, all makes are good. I vote all of the above.

Originally Posted By: Chode2235
As long as something Japanese is hanging off the back of my next boat I will be happy.

Crestliner is shutting down it's production and leave almost 100 people home, they are owned by Brunswick.

Send the money to Japan, they will be really glad you did. Beware you might get a motor that suddenly takes off on it's own....

I've run Merc's, Johnson's and Honda, and by far nothing runs like my Honda.

I had a 4 stroke Merc and hated it; it was consistantly in the shop for various reasons, and it still hated to troll down. It was good on gas, but other than that I couldn't stand it. To be fair, I've used other mercs and those have been fine, but I didn't put enough hours on them to really test them out. I have a good friend with a Ranger and a 250 Verado and he loves it, but I don't know if I will go that route again. I've gotten to be pretty good friends with my outboard mechanic and he's told me flat out that his bread and butter is with Merc's, they keep him in business.

One of my favorite motors over all was my '99 Johnson 15 HP 2 stroke. I used it for about 3 years on a 16 footer and it ran and trolled down beautifully, I wish I had never sold it. I had a Evinrude Intruder 115 and it was a fairly solid motor, but it was a beast on fuel. I had some issues with the VRO going out (3 times in 10 years, one was my fault) but other than that it was dependable.

My Hondas I've owned have been quiet, reliable, and good on gas. No problems. I've recently downgraded from my previous boat and didn't look at anything that didn't have something silver hanging on the back.

My $0.02. I know Mercs work for many people and work well, but for me and what I'm looking for, I'm going to stick with keeps me on the water.

I have owned Johnsons, Mercs and Evenrudes before I bought my first Yamaha, I will never own anything else again.

I put hundreds of hours a year on my motors and nothing has held up like the Yamaha's. I have a 115 and a 150, both are 4 strokes (04'05') and they both have a lot of hard hours on them. They always start and they are great on gas, no matter what the the conditions

are.

"Ace"

I have had great luck with johnson and evinrude for years. I have a 1968 18hp evinrude i use for a flood motor. that thing can lay on the shop floor for years and it fires right up and runs. no i have a 85 20 hp evinrude for a flood motor. the nice thing about the 20 through 35 johnson and evirude is from the mid 70s to the 90s all the parts are basically the same. same eng block with different carbs and intake.

Last summer i bought a used boat with a 05 honda 75hp tiller.

I love that thing it seems kinda doggy compared to a 2 stroke but the thing runs like a clock deasy on gas and quite.

Bought a boat this past summer, and it was fitted with a 115 Yamaha. Yamaha was the engine I was looking/hoping to get on whatever boat I bought. Very glad that worked out....what a great motor!!! I would have considered other manufactures on the specific used boat I was searching for.....just happened to work out in my favor!

Partents have an 40hp E-tec on their pontoon and it's a nice motor as well!

Originally Posted By: Chode2235

Why are American companies shutting down? Nobody wants to buy their [PoorWordUsage]. Take your politics elsewhere.