• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ultra vs. XLT Special

loosegoose

I have a 96 Ultra and a 99 XLT Special that has the Triumph engine with the 38mm slide carbs. Put the same miles on but sleds after filling both of them with gas. Went to fill both of them up again and the XLT took 2.5 gallons more in a 70 mile trip than the Ultra did. Is this normal for the Triumph engine to be such a gas hog?

I have a 96 Ultra and a 99 XLT Special that has the Triumph engine with the 38mm slide carbs. Put the same miles on but sleds after filling both of them with gas. Went to fill both of them up again and the XLT took 2.5 gallons more in a 70 mile trip than the Ultra did. Is this normal for the Triumph engine to be such a gas hog?

Are the motor CC's the same? Are they Jetted the same? Are the gas tanks the same sizes? Are the track sizes the same? Are the track lug depths the same? Is one studded and the other not? Do they both have the same carbids on the skis? Do both sleds weigh the same? Did the riders of each sled weigh the same? Was one of the riders a putter and the other a little more of a REV lover? Ya, know hitting the gas hard on the corners and straight away? So, go through this and list the differences from one sled to another and you may find your answer! wink

You guys need to check your top speed on the speedometer verus a gps. The older polaris sleds were 20 plus miles per hour off on top end. (I used to drag race polaris sleds in the late 90's and my xcr speedometer read over 120 mph in the 1/4 mile and the actual radar speed was 101 to 103) Even my newer rev reads 104 on the speedometer and the gps says 92.

ya i was thinkin they were tootin they horns alittle..lol

to be going over 100 is extremly fast

i have 600 mxz (rev) and i can feel it flattening out up in that 90mph range unless you guys have small tall gears in those

i would question those speeds

mines an 04 so the speedo might be alitte more accurate

i know neither one of those sleds are faster than me...toot...toot

No disrespect Gregg but my XLT smokes a 600 MXZ, it had a good head start on me and no problems catching and passing, fact it beats 700 Yammi tripples. Once we get good hard pack back on the lake I'll take the GPS along.

600 Indys/Storms from the mid late 90's were pulling high 80-s low 90's in the speed runs last weekend, on radar.

I ride with a 06 600 and 05 800 MXZ they are 136 or 144 tracks, 03 700 RMK 144, the 97 V Max SX is my strongest competition. I'll post GPS speeds if I ever remember to take it along. With 4-6" new snow I'll be lucky to hit 90 now.

Far as I know mines stock other than maybe a little clutch work and 196 studs.

I ride with a 06 600 and 05 800 MXZ they are 136 or 144 tracks, 03 700 RMK 144, the 97 V Max SX is my strongest competition. I'll post GPS speeds if I ever remember to take it along. With 4-6" new snow I'll be lucky to hit 90 now.

Far as I know mines stock other than maybe a little clutch work and 196 studs.

Do you know how much more power it takes to turn a 136 or 144 track? I would assume yours has a 121 with about a .9" lug, thats a whole diffennt ball game. I had a 03 mxzx rev 800 that lost at least 10mph from a 1" track to a 1 1/2". I takes a heck of a sled to go 110mph on ice let alone on snow! All sled speedos are way off on the top end! I bet you guys claiming big #s would be suprised how fast (or slow) your sled really is on a GPS!

Well I could see a 121" track beating an 800 144". The 800 would be geared for the mountains they don't have much for top end they are not designed for speed, and most likey have a paddle track. Now I will say your top speeds are in dream o meter land. The machZ 1000 would hit in the 120's and they were putting out 165hp+. An older 580 XLT with a single pipe I would guess them at the most to put out 90HP. I would say if you were able to hit 92 on a long run that would be doing pretty good. Who knows maybe you have the fastest stock 580 ever made?

ya i just dont think you are talkin mxz rev chasis

i'm not sure what the lenth is on my track

i dont have real big lugs you migght beat me alottle out of the cuz your studed i spin like crazy i gotta believe 20 -80

i'd blow you in the weeds lol no disrespect..lol

Guys were hitting 85-90 with mid 90's 600's in 800' on the radar runs. Give me a mile of good hardpack and mine will flat out fly. According to the owner of the 800 his tops at 105, said his daughters 600 about the same, she said her spedo read 85 when I passed her like she was standing still.. I know Spedos arent accurate but mines been past the 4 o"clock position turning about 8800 ( 110ish). I'll GPS it for sure hopefully next weekend after this next storms over, if I can find a good flat hardpacked run.

Next year I'll run it on the radar see what she does in 800'. Lady on a newer Polaris 440 did 68 and wasn't hard on it.

Guys were hitting 85-90 with mid 90's 600's in 800' on the radar runs. Give me a mile of good hardpack and mine will flat out fly. According to the owner of the 800 his tops at 105, said his daughters 600 about the same, she said her spedo read 85 when I passed her like she was standing still.. I know Spedos arent accurate but mines been past the 4 o"clock position turning about 8800 ( 110ish). I'll GPS it for sure hopefully next weekend after this next storms over, if I can find a good flat hardpacked run.

Next year I'll run it on the radar see what she does in 800'. Lady on a newer Polaris 440 did 68 and wasn't hard on it.

So your saying your 15 year old 580 does 120mph-110mph on snow?! I would have to see it to belive it. Sleds must be faster in Iowa!

No disrespect Gregg but my XLT smokes a 600 MXZ, it had a good head start on me and no problems catching and passing, fact it beats 700 Yammi tripples. Once we get good hard pack back on the lake I'll take the GPS along.

600 Indys/Storms from the mid late 90's were pulling high 80-s low 90's in the speed runs last weekend, on radar.

You should have ran yours and beat them by over 20 miles per hour wink

A foot of smooth hardpacked snow not loose snow, big difference. And the radar speeds were in 800' not in the mile + runs we were doing, again a big difference. I would guess my 15 year old 580 to hit low to mid 80's in 800'.

I was watching 30 year old sleds hit 50 in 500' stock and the mods were doing over 100 in the Vintage races this weekend.

Modded sleds in the 800' were doing 120, they had a 135+ sled in the trailer but it wouldnt start. Thats cooking in 800'