• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who hates spearing?

triggertrav

Motley I agree!! I have always sight fish panfish late ice long before I began spearing last year. Its just sight fishing with a decoy and a spear, and now you can angle out of your spear hole so you can catch a few perch or gills out of your spear hole as well. I think you learn so much more about fish when you sight fish and spear (even if you don't kill anything)..that it makes you better fisherman period, and will help in the future while angling in the boat and on the ice.

I angle, spear, bow & gun hunt, bird hunt, etc...so I hear to many opinions and stories (have my own as well)..and we all enjoy the outdoors so why pick on each other for what sport we like? To me a sport is a sport and your doing something your passionate about that you like to do..its better than sitting on your rump at work or infront some video game. Thats one thing that facinates me about the outdoors is its REAL (not some fake game or pretend battle on the computer/x-box or fantasy football league) and that we as humans are lucky enough to get to fit into the natural world and observe and see how fish and animals live or go about their business so to speak. Yes they are a resource for us to use and how we dispose(kill) of them will always up in the air for what is ethical and what is not..there are always 2 sides & sometimes more to every argument or opinion. Who is right or who is wrong or does it really matter? Thats what you gotta ask yourself. I figure as long as that person is ethical and utilizes the resource for themselves whom am I to Judge?

I guess thats a little in depth but really frustrating when people need to push their views across by bashing another person's sport/passion.

Hey elwood, there's a lake up north of nashwauk on scenic 7 that's just like that. It a really good crappie lake and whenever someone gets a small crappie they die when they're released cuz they pull 'em up from 35fow and the pike cruise right under the ice, and there's some real, real nice ones in there, i've caught/released several in that 12-17lbs, and some smaller ones in the 5-10lb range. Let me know if you're interested.

fishuhalik I was just up there last weekend it was cold made it out thursday and friday though did pretty good on friday I found a few lakes but I'm dying to know more up there since its a 4 1/2 to 5 hour drive I like to make it count when I go any info would be great

Because it's -21 and I'm heading to cut a hole for my son and nephew, cause they don't want to spear in the same house!! Hope to post pics when we return! have a great saturday!

sounds like fun. I was going to go today, but changed my mind when i saw the temps

Because it's -21 and I'm heading to cut a hole for my son and nephew, cause they don't want to spear in the same house!! Hope to post pics when we return! have a great saturday!

You know it's cold when you get the ice block out and the steam comes rolling off the hole!!

I have a motorhome on a 113 acres just out of Nashwauk on Big Mcarthy Lake Havent had much time to get up there yet this is the first year that we got it. alot of lakes that I want to check out up there along with duck hunting. I have gotton some tips from other fellow FMers and thanks to those guys.

I'm hopeing to be heading up there possibly next weekend if I dont haveto work.

Elwood my uncle and I checked a few lakes up there with like I said side lake was the best so far we can find but there is so many up there the only thing was it was hard to get to some of the lakes we wanted or we couldn't get to them at all. My uncle did a lot of summer fishing up there with catching 9 pike over 38 inches which they released all of them but one and that was on 1 lake we went there but all we saw were very little ones. Let me know if you want some of the names of lakes we checked and any info you get would be great since it sounds like we are both trying to learn the area

no pics to post, saw a lot of bass, sunnies, and a few pike, none that we wished to spear. a few hours in the shanty and a lot of "what if" stories. Our anticipation of a big pike was met with big bass after big bass! we'd see a big nose poke in and we'd say bass at the same time!

deerhunter thats a great area eh! I've seen lots of nice deer in the area and I can think of 5 lakes off the top of my head that I really want to fish/sight fish but not for northern but mainly for bluegills & perhaps crappies. I suppose they would have quality northern populations in them as well. But there is alot of water around you...even in 2 lifetimes you could never fish them all or even pattern them out!

Spearing isn't for everyone. Hunting isn't for everyone. Fishing isn't for everone. Sports as they are, aren't for everyone. Some people like many different things and I'll take spearing second only to deer hunting. Many spearer's pass on big fish , but you never hear of a hunter passing on a ten pointer to shoot a fawn. There are many hobbies for everone and people should enjoy what they do. When I think of a good steak, I'm glad we can eat beef and not just have them arround. I enjoy eating northern ,big or small, as much as halibut.