• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Broadheads for Moose

Well, I went to the shop. I am shooting a 250 gr arrow and 100 gr Ironhead broadhead at 75 pounds with a 28" draw.

Bascially, the local shop told me that I will be fine with this set-up. I could heavy things up but then I may not get the good arrow flight that I have now by using a stiffer (heavier) arrow. Apparantly, x-force's are very touchy when it comes to this and I have had issues with this in the past. So, they asked what's more important? Increasing kenetic energy maybe 5% or being confindent in your arrow flight.

The individual who told me this I trust pretty well. He has also shot two moose with an X-force and ironhead broadheads. He is drawing 85 lbs though and I am not sure what arrow he uses.

On another note;

Has anyone shot the new Destroyer by bowtech? I am just a little curious of this bow. Is it sort of copying x-forces, monsters, etc. for speed? Or, is it pretty smooth with some speed?

Chubby, IMO you were given mostly accurate and generally poor advice. A heavier arrow than that will serve your purposes much better for moose.

My first year I hunted elk I shot a bull with a set up similar to yours. I shot him at 8 feet (feet, not yards) with too light an arrow and with a small, expandable broadhead. At 8 feet, without hitting a rib bone, shoulder bone, or anything major- just soft tissue, I didn't get a pass through. My arrow was too light and my choice in broadheads was poor. I was fortunate that the shot was perfect (it was only 8 feet, so not exactly bragging there), but he still ran almost two hundred yards (and that was with another arrow in him- a quartering away double lunger that also didn't pass through).

It sounds like the guy at the shop told you the info as if you have to choose between good arrow flight or a heavy arrow. Yes, those bows are a bit persnickity for tuning, but the idea you'd have to choose one or the other is silly. Why not choose both and shoot a combo that is much better matched for the game you are chasing?

Is accuracy more important than KE? Sure it is. But the question implies you have to choose one or the other. That's not the case. If it is for the guy you are working with, then I'd switch to someone who is able to get you both accuracy and the correct arrow for the job.

Good luck with all this. It's tough when you hear lots of opinions and wonder what the "right answer" is. I feel very strongly that I'm giving you good info here, but I imagine the guy from the shop feels similarly. If you put the shot exactly where you are supposed to, it won't matter. If your shot is less than perfect, I think my advice will help you and give you a much better chance.

I've shot the Destroyer and I think it's awesome! The draw cycle is aggressive, but that doesn't bother me like it does some. It's very fast, very quiet, and really smooth. I'd love one!

On another note;

Has anyone shot the new Destroyer by bowtech? I am just a little curious of this bow. Is it sort of copying x-forces, monsters, etc. for speed? Or, is it pretty smooth with some speed?

The destroyer is a gret shooting bow and just waiting till the boss gives me the ok and will be ordering mine.

I know this is off the topic, Propster, but you didn't by chance happen to shoot the best buck of your life this past archery season? An 11 pointer? If so, I'd like to see a pic.

Personally, I love the size of those photos. My old eyes can see them! You and your dad had a great experience, Sniper. Thanks for sharing it.

Scoot, just wanted to say that I enjoyed the heck out of your story on the End of the Year Deer. What a great story and a beautiful buck. Best of all, your story was the stuff we all dream of, but you had the fortitude to "stick it out." Congratulations!

What this 5 grains per Pound thing?

It is a recommendation regarding the overall weight of the bow. For example, if you are shooting 70 pounds, you should have a minimum of a 350 grain arrow. Everyone knows that dry firing your bow can damage it, and the theory ArcherySniper is referencing is that if your bow isn't pushing a heavy enough arrow you can have the same effect as if you are dry firing your bow. It can be dangerous (i.e. carbon arrows and bow limbs that might explode).

If you are buying arrows in accordance with what arrow charts recommend for your bow, you shouldn't ever have to worry about this issue.

engfish, unfortunately it wasn't me! I did have 3 close encounters with good bucks on the last hunt before guns came in over in Wisconsin, including a main frame 5x5 with a couple splits that still would have netted in the mid 170's, at 40 yards and no shot, and another 170's gross non-typ at 20 yds and no shot.

chuby-minnow; point

a few years ago I hunted moose in Ont. Canada. the equipment I field tested was : a 20year old 62 lb,X-I-65% letoff, with 30 in. arrows ,Easton 22-16 Lite, with 125 gr. Thunderheads , one 35 yd. pin,3 arrow quiver:

the two years was, two moose, one at 7yds, went 100yds. p/y 170.1/8.. the second one 5 yds went less than 100yds,meat, only 9 pts. fly-in camp ,and non-guided.

Minn. 4 of 6 Bear with the same equipment

good luck hunting

Propster--sorry to hear it wasn't you, but you're seeing some nice deer. I didn't have that many encounters this fall, but I sure enjoy hunting over in that area because I know it's a possibility. Sooner or later you're going to connect.

I have been shooting a Hoyt heat for 13yrs. Have wondered about arrow and draw weight? I'm shooting a 300gr arrow, + 85gr boardhead= 382 average, 55lb draw. The arrow length is 24".

So far I have only bow hunted 4 out of 13yrs. See deer, but no shot, I will not risk 45yd shots.