• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Problems Refilling 1 lb. Propane Tanks

Bones62

Question

I have one of the fittings to refill 1 lb. tanks from a 20 lb. tank. Follow the directions but never seem to get more than about 1/4 into the 1 lb. tank. Any tips to get better results or is this about the best to expect?

24 answers to this question

the 20lb'er should be warm and the 1lb'er very cold. 20 upsidedown open valves and fill. about 3/4 full is about all I can get. the 1lb'er are filled uder more pressur at the factory I assume. I use the same mthod some times to top off a 11lb'er or 5 lb'er and save myself a trip to a station. just use hose and fitting.

Not a fan also.

All the time you put into it and without guaranteed success and with the possibility of leakage. Not to mention the chance of getting frost bit (been there done that!) Why not just invest in a five or 10 pound cylinder that is designed for transport and refilling and will last must longer than a one pounder.

No way Ill ever be filling 1# bottles. Too much chance of danger for a little money savings if you ask me.

A bunch of us got into this on another site, and I really don't feel with the time, effort and risks involved you aren't saving any money.

i agree, i dont carry many 1 lb any more since i have a tree for my big tank. can run up to 3 other items off the tank, can leave outside and run the hose in the tent if needed but usually dont run anything in the tent. is there a way to vent the pressue when you fill the little bottles or is it just tank to tank? sounds awful dangerous to me however it is just my 2 cents.

warm 20# tank, frozen 1lb tank. flip the 20# upside down, open the valve for 1 minute. close valve, take of 1# tank. i just did two of mine 10 minutes ago, and they filled to almost full. make sure to be in a well ventilated area. i do it on the tailgate of my truck in the driveway. check for leaks afterward.

$3 for a 1# tank.

$12 for a 20# fill

3x10 (say you fill 10 times) is $30.

thats $6 spent vs $30.

but the disclaimer is: do at your own risk.

They rarely get full and they are notorious for leaking.

Even if you're filling them you still have to pay to fill your bulk tank, so why not buy the hose to use your bulk tank on what you're using 1lb'rs on?

You still have to own a 20lb or bigger tank to refill, it has to be filled, so you're really not money ahead. Eventually you'll have to refill your bulk tank too. Having a 5 or 11lb tank is easier, safer and you won't have to refill tanks every time you want to go fishing.

That shouldn't surprize you though. Here around New Ulm, I called to get a quote on filling my 100# tanks. 1st place was $43/per tank, 2nd place, $61/per tank. A difference of $18/per tank!! And that's carried in!! For $7 more,I can have a tank filled just with the price difference on the two. Betcha can't guess who'll be getting ALL my future propane business! Phred52

its unfortuneate that there isn't a way to do something else with these 1# cyl there is way to much waste with these going in the trash and tons if them getting thrown on the ice and left so please dispose of properly

I purchased a 5#er and love it. Very light to cut down on weigh from the 20# tank. I can go a few trips before it needs a refill.

It also stores very nice in my sled.

Do you run it on a Big Buddy? And how much does a 5#er cost to fill? I wanna split the cost of one with my dad.

The easiest way to fill the 1 lb bottles is to release some pressure out of the tank first, take a pair of needle nose plyers, pull on the relief valve, release some pressure, then hook it up to the big tank and fill it. Check for leaks when done.

Just make sure you wear gloves and thier is no open flame close by or BOOOOOOOM!

I got the adapter as a just in case situation well it is stll in the original box (too lazy!) I fill my 40 lbers at local store and only take my 5lb and 11 lb bottles on the lake as I made up a hose with double pol fittings on each end so I fill the 5& 11 lb from the 40 lber 11 lber is really easy too as you can see the liquid volume as it fills

Bear in mind also wink

It is illegal to transport a refilled 1lb'er on any road, hwy, or freeway.

I sure would not want to be next to a vehicle that has one blow up. eek Especially if my family was in the car. All it takes is a trunk full of the gas and a loose wire connection wink

Quote:
CFR49-178.65 (Non-reusable, Non-refillable cylinders)

http://www.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/cfr-table-search.html

Quote from the specification:

(A) For cylinders manufactured prior

to October 1, 1996: ‘‘Federal law forbids

transportation if refilled-penalty up to

$25,000 fine and 5 years imprisonment

(49 U.S.C. 1809)’’ or ‘‘Federal law forbids

transportation if refilled-penalty

up to $500,000 fine and 5 years imprisonment

(49 U.S.C. 5124).’’

(B) For cylinders manufactured on or

after October 1, 1996: ‘‘Federal law forbids

transportation if refilled-penalty

up to $500,000 fine and 5 years imprisonment

(49 U.S.C. 5124).’’

Transporting them is not only putting yourself and others at risk, but can land you in some financial and legal troubles if caught wink

Legal or not, you should not transport or store any propane tanks, bottles, or gas cans in an enclosed area.

To properly fill the 1 lb tanks you must know the empty weight of the tank. When you fill you stay under the amount of weight stated on the bottle. If you overfill it will bleed out, that could happen slowly or it can blow it off with a complete pressure release valve failure. I guess pressure relief failure is not the right term because they are meant to expel excess pressure. If that is in the trunk, portable, fish house, or whatever, if there is flame or spark close by you'll be in an inferno. The disposable tanks can be filled but the pressure relief and the main valve are just that "disposable" meaning they are intended to be used once and then thrown away. If you fill them then use them in open spaces because you never know when one will let loose and vent off propane.