• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tag soup recipies?

WaitForIt

Anyone else coming up empty this year?

2009 has been a bust so far for me, though I've seen my fair share of deer and passed on several small bucks. For whatever reason, I've been unable to get a kill opportunity on a doe. I've hunted a metro hunt, public land, and 3 private lands in areas ranging from central MN to SE MN without luck.

Highlight of the year for me was being able to guide my 17yr old brother in law to shooting his first deer (rifle) from a ground blind at extremely close range. The excitement on his face is something I won't soon forget and I am sure I have created a hunter for life.

Good news is that there are still a few weeks left to go. I noticed this year that I haven't been hunting as smart as I used to - due to many time pressures I often take the easy stand or I didn't put time in scouting this year like I should have.

From what I'm hearing I'm not alone in my frustration. Can't complain too much as I had a really good run from 2006-2008 and this year just didn't have it.

If you could guide a hunter to thier first deer your season has been made by the enjoymeny that the both of you had. Now on the other side fro every hour you spend on the stand you should scout atleast 1-1/2 to stay ahead of the deer remember they will pattern you faster than you can them.

Is the glass half full or half empty??? Just look at the many, many hours of enjoyment and hunting challenges that you've had over the course of a long bow season!!! I've eaten tag soup many times, it goes with the territory, but have had lots of fun doing it.

Several years ago, when they moved us back to a lottery area and one deer, I wasn't very motivated to get out early and finish my hunt too soon. First time I made it out was Oc.t 15. Wouldn't you know it, a nice 8 point, not huge but bigger than any other buck that I had shot with my bow came by my stand and I shot him. Was happy to get him but really missed that bowhunting around Nov. 1 and the rut.

Tag soup isn't so bad, it keeps you out hunting.

I hear you on the tag frustration, I've still got a doe tag left for bow but am not getting out anymore. Also like you, my season was complete when I was able to get my 19yo. son his first deer, and then two days later his second deer. I taggged his second buck for my b.i.l. cuz we were unsure about transporting deer acrossed state lines.

Scoot, you could probably help me out with the transporting question as my b.i.l. lives in Fargo, is there any restrictions for taking the deer acrossed state lines for processing?

Well, I have tag soup for myself this year. I put in alot of time and came away empty. My season consisted of a missed 10 pt due to a deflection and a poorly hit doe that i did not recover. I do however get to eat plenty of venison this year as my 10 y.o. daughter now has 3 deer under her belt for the year. I have to ask her though before I can cook any of "her" deer grin

Tunrevir~