• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How cold is to cold?

Lunker

Reading the weather report for tomorrow, high of about 9, low below o...

Is there a low temperature limit for you to be comfortable bringing a dog out hunting(for my example a lab)? I was thinking if I can tough it out he can, but just wondering what others think since I don't want to put the dog at risk... Thanks

I'd be concerned about his pads. My dog, just a little mutt, has problems when the temp hits 4 degrees. She starts limping and stopping to lick the pads on the bottom of her feet. I finally had a neighbor make her some booties. A lab may be different, but that would be the part that would get cold first, especially in the snow.

I can't comment on a lab, but I have found that boots make a big difference. We're pretty happy with Muttluks. They held up to our 140 lb Dane taking 2 walks a day on asphalt for most of last winter and we're gonna use the same pair this winter till they wear out.

I have hunted my lab in the teens/low 20's without a problem or any clothing/protection without any problems. I would just try it for a while and check the paws to see how they are doing. My labs are pretty tough from walking on asphalt all the time. You have to watch more for cracking.

I have hunted my short hair vizsla in negative temps without a problem. I will not hunt for more then a few hours, and make sure you are keeping an eye on his feet. I try to stop hunting once in a while, and keep a rag in my vest to rub his feet, and keep ice from between the toes. He will hunt longer then I want to in those temps, but it is very easy to cut his pads in temps like that. I will try to get him out this weekend for while if I can. I love that first nice snow of the year. Great hunting!!

I have kicked around getting booties for him, but just can't get my hands around putting shoes on a dog. I might as well knit his a sweater frown

Brent, I was going to rip on you for referring to a "short-haired viszla", but before I stuck my foot in my mouth, I did a little Google work and discovered that there acutally are long-haired viszlas.

So, maybe you should just start knitting. When you're finished with that, you can start on a sweater for Floyd. You'll need a lot of yarn smile

Come to think of it, we know a viszla (short-haired smile ) from the park that actually has a custom-made "snowsuit". It's fleece and covers his entire body and all 4 legs, plus it's got his name on the sides. It's hilarious! I'll try to get a picture of it this winter.

So, maybe you should just start knitting. When you're finished with that, you can start on a sweater for Floyd. You'll need a lot of yarn smile

Come to think of it, we know a viszla (short-haired smile ) from the park that actually has a custom-made "snowsuit". It's fleece and covers his entire body and all 4 legs, plus it's got his name on the sides. It's hilarious! I'll try to get a picture of it this winter.

I would love to see a picture of Floyd in that snosuit, but I am guessing a suit of that size would cost more then I make. Maybe if I was a rich chemical engineer. whistle

I assume it comes with a flap on the back side.

My vizsla does fine outside right now, like Farmboy mentioned my vizsla will also go much longer then he probably should. Once he starts shifting his paws to always keep one off the ground then I think its about time to head in, or if he starts licking at a paw which he started doing yesterday after an hour or so romping in the snow drifts.

A pair of boots would probably help and would probably allow him to be outside all day in that weather as long as he kept moving to keep warm. But with a vizsla its never a problem keeping them moving.

I have hunted my Shorthair in negative temps without a problem. I think as long as they are moving they are alright. I walk her every day all winter and I get cold long before she does. I think with a lab you will have no problems.

I ran 1/4 english short haired pointers for a few years as sled dogs along with the typical alaskan husky. Extra fat in their diet will help to keep them warm. Make sure they get used to this increase in fat over a period of time. Otherwise they will get the runs big time. More importantly, lots of water. Put it in their food, bait it with whatever flavor will make them drink it, give it warm, give it cold, whatever it takes.

As far as their pads go, you can buy booties if they have a tendency to pick up snowballs. Google dog booties and you'll find a place in Duluth that sells them. Insulated booties are not neccesary, in my opinion. Just something made of cordura and velstretch for securing them to your dog. Get them used to wearing them before you take them out in them.

If the dogs tend to pick up snowballs on their feet, try trimming the hair on their feet. It helps with some dogs.

As far as their pads go, you can buy booties if they have a tendency to pick up snowballs. Google dog booties and you'll find a place in Duluth that sells them.

We tried those last year. Off-road they'd be fine, but with any roads/widewalks, they're trashed in a week.

Echoing most here - my Chessie hunted last winter during the last week of pheasant season in North Dakota. It was 15 below air temps with 35 mile/hr winds. Needless to say, it was cold. As long as we kept moving, she didnt blink an eye.

The things to watch for are excessive shivering when standing still and problems with their paws. Keep a close eye and you can hunt in very cold weather.

Having said that, I cant say I would hunt my GSP in that weather without a vest and/or boots. He is so lean that the cold affects him sooner. He hunted in 10 degree weather last week in SD with no problem.

My 1 year old choc lab actually returned the dummy to my feet last night, after I threw the dummy. Usually she does a crazy lap around the yard with dummy in mouth first. 2nd retrieve she warmed up and did her lap lol.

I hunt the springers in cold that man should not be out there in. I see you went already, but what was said about the water and snow balls about has you covered. Mushers secret wax helps with the snow on the feet. I seem to have trouble with any boot I tried, staying on or not slipping in snow. When 1/4ing I don't want the dog going one way while the Knee goes the other. Unless there is a boot that won't do that.

My husband took my Rhodesian Ridgeback out last week when the temp was around 5 deg above 0. (This is a short-haired, very lean dog). The pup handled the temp fine, but when he came back to the house he was bleeding from his nose and the tops of all four feet (the tops of his "knuckles"). Apparently they had hunted the sloughs and along the creek and the icy snow cut the tops of the feet. Not sure about his nose- hubby thinks maybe he cut it on some cattails. So, pup will be getting a pair of the RuffWear boots, pictured in another post, above, before he goes out hunting in the snow again. He's okay at 5 deg as long as he keeps moving, much below that I don't think so.