• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So how was everyones muzzy season opening wknd?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They aer moving, but either really late with the full moon and or they are staying in the corn. The last week I have hunted a corn field. They come out of that to go to the bean stubble and beet field.

Deer in our area are in the corn. We pushed some woods and saw few deer, like 2-5 per woods, which is terrible in our area. But i sit and watch corn and see 10 coming out of it. With the fresh snow I only see tracks around corn fields, or going to them.

I don't believe we have the numbers of deer and we have had, but the best areas of numbers are in the corn fields.

seen a fawn and two does tonight. The first two were doe and fawn were moven no shot the second doe about 3 min later came in runing to then stoped and was looken back had the bead on her then grunts start comeing from were they all came from she takes off again and no buck comes out that was at 3:30 sat till dark he never showed.

They aer moving, but either really late with the full moon and or they are staying in the corn. The last week I have hunted a corn field. They come out of that to go to the bean stubble and beet field.

Deer in our area are in the corn. We pushed some woods and saw few deer, like 2-5 per woods, which is terrible in our area. But i sit and watch corn and see 10 coming out of it. With the fresh snow I only see tracks around corn fields, or going to them.

I don't believe we have the numbers of deer and we have had, but the best areas of numbers are in the corn fields.

So are you just hunting the edge of the cornfield hoping they will come out? I have all hardwoods around the corn field I hunt.

I sat all day Saturday, Sunday(until game time), and Monday until about an hour before sunset. Saw nothing in the woods. I had to go to town to get propane and gas and as I was leaving I could see in the neighbors field across the highway that there was about 100+ deer standing out in his alfalfa field. Well I guess I at least know where all the deer were. So I went pheasant hunting on Tuesday with better luck. 2 birds by 12:30.

Yes- they are bedding in the field and some come out right before dark to feed on a bean stubble or the beet field next to it. They are 1/2 -3/4 mile from any woods. There is a big woods to the east, west, and north, but they rather stay in the corn. Biggest reason for this is that nobody can bother them in the corn.

the 1st sunday moring of the season I missed a small 6 or 8 pointer. I went out monday and friday moring always saw deer out there. and it was always before I could shoot. but today the 2nd sunday I have a herd of deer trotting by me and I took a doe i lunged her. and this is my 2nd deer I ever shot and there was lung meat all over the place and she went less then a 100 yards. there was blood every where very clean kill.

Looks like tag soup for me this year. 1st year since 1997 I haven't put meat in the freezer.

I was out Friday and Saturday near Grand Rapids. Only saw a doe and fawn about 300yds away.

The deer werent moving Friday. Walking around I found found beds melted down to the leaves with no snow on them (and it was snowing) so I must have jumped the deer but didn't see or hear them.

Judging by the tracks, the deer moved Friday night but Saturday was slow again (and cold).

Saturday afternoon we heard a dog barking like crazy and he ended up chasing several deer through the property we were hunting but there were no opportunities to shoot deer or dog.

Was out near Cromwell this weekend. COLD, and no movement on the deer end. Had some movement due to pushing/ walking. I got one doe on saturday morning due to a nice little push from some friends. Other than that, it was a bust. Big woods and lack of designated food areas makes for an adventure with a muzzleloader. Lots of big swamps for them to hide in and get food, shelter, and safety all in one... Better luck next year. Sure was nice to be outside!

Last weekend hunted public land in no man's land here up north. First time ever in approaching 2 decades of muzzy hunting saw more muzzy hunters than deer. People competing for spots. Saw 28 hunters and 2 deer and 2 Conservation officers! Trucks/ATV's pounding the roads/trails scouting for sign. Any decent sign concentrated the hunters in those areas. At least this year no one came behind us to tell us to leave "their" spot of public land like we had happen last year. Muzzy for us on public land has morphed into another rat race firearms season. Hopefully people will be nice as the competition/crowding increases. Afraid opposite is more likely based on recent experiences.

lakevet

Note to self: work harder/smarter to buy enough land so kids/grandkids will have a quiet place to muzzy hunt.

Deer tend to bunch up/ concentrate during muzzy season and move less to conserve energy. Fewer areas that are "hotspots" than earlier in the fall and you have to hunt closer to the hotspot. Hunters concentrate on these bunched up deer, resulting in one seeing more hunters.

lakevet