• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how much faster is fish toys saw compared to augering?

mrpike1973

hello i have dail up and was unable to watch there video when i auger a hole i go 5 auger holes wide by 3 auger holed length it takes a while if i get a saw how do i get started just auger 1 hole and cut from there does it take like 5 minutes to cut a hole i'm assuming thick ice 3 feet or so and how often do i need it sharpened like 2 3 times a season thanks for your help i just started last year and i havent seen anyone with a saw i will probably get one but i have to convince my self its a good move is it hard to get the block out after cutting a hole thank you

Once you get one you will thank yourself after the first hole you cut. Depends on how thick the ice is 6 inches or less takes about 2 min to cut a 3x2 hole the thicker the more time it takes. never had to sharpen mine yet. Get some tongs or push the block under the ice. depends on what u want to do.

Is your connection fast enough to watch this?

The saw actually cuts better than this video.

The ice was pretty thin and I was being a whimp and I didn't want to get wet.

Yes those are seagulls on open water in the background. wink

Sorry for the crook in the neck. grin

One advantage the ice saw has is that all the ice from the hole has to be removed one way or the other.

Do you want to do it in big blocks or little shards?

Of course there is much debate over what is better.

I prefer the ice saw.

I don't have an auger, so in thicker ice I chisel a starting hole then use the saw.

In thin ice I use the saw to start the hole.

Once the ice gets thick (mid to late Jan) I have to take a break half way though cutting the hole. Younger guys who are in shape don't have that problem. wink

It works great for reopening holes or keeping the hole open also.

Come out to the get to gator.

I am sure someone will let you cut their hole for you, so you can try one out. laugh

I find mine good for 12" of ice or less based on total effort (cutting, cleaning out hole, etc).

I use a chipper auger for thicker ice, still use the saw the clean up the edges, use to use a chisel, found the saw works better. I also use an aluminum shovel with holes drilled in it to clean out the ice chips.

For thin ice 5 inches or less, the tip of the saw will let you start the hole just fine.

Who got more fish, you or the Seagulls? lol

michael

The seagulls... I didn't stay around long that day.

That was last year around this time.

I was just checking ice thickness at the time.

It works great for that since you can reach out in front of you to test the ice before you step on it.

If you fell though I assume you could use it to help you push yourself back on top of the ice too? I haven't tested that though!! lol

wow fast replies thank you i'm i correct in thinking its only for 1st ice pretty much and then auger the hole for deep ice i'm thinking even if it takes longer to saw its less time cleaning and chiseling the ice after doing a auger hole? thanks again

Mid March, I tested my fish's saw out on 28" of ice- Chipped thru a old 8" hole about 12" of ice, then started cutting, the saw was pushed to the handle n back up, I cut the hole 3x4 and it took 15 min with 2 breaks because I was taking my time, man was that hole huge, but the saw held up and so did I... Besides it was fun to mess with some nords without a spear...

Being from wisconsin they only let us spear sturgeon for a few days a year, but I'm wondering why yall don't use chainsaws to cut your holes??? We cut 8x4 holes, send the block under the ice, and cover with shack within 10 minutes. Granted years ago, we used the handheld ice saws but I'm just curious seeing I never heard of anyone over there using chainsaws that often.

when i did it..i would use the auger and drill with in 2" of the water then cut the edges of the auger holes out with the chainsaw . then go back and finish up with the hand saw.. which i uses was a tree saw..

That is a new one.... hummm

It is cool to see the many ways to do the same thing. lol