• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Archery back pack?

Meat-Run

Hey Guys/Gals,

I need some input on what you recommend for a back pack for archery hunting? My requirements: holds my quiver and misc. gear like extra hangers, gloves, hat, and calls. I don't want anything very thick or large as I want it to "cling" to the tree with a low profile. A brand name or model would help and then I could look it up at any box store or a store close to Brainerd. I'm putting this on my xmas list thanks for any suggestions.

P.S. maybe if it has a camel pack in it too.

mr

MR, I've become a bit of a hunting pack "ho" in the last few years. I've done tons and tons of research on them and now own four of them. You can go anywhere from a $30 fieldline pack to a $600+ Kifaru or Mystery Ranch pack.

Most importantly, what do you need this pack to be able to do? Is if just to get your whitetail gear to and from the stand? Any idea how many cubic inches you're looking for? Also, do you have a price range in mind?

If you're looking for a day pack that does not have any meat hauling capabilities, two packs are the cream of the crop right now. Badlands Superday and Sitka Flash 20. If either of these interest you, let me know asap because I know of a super deal on a Flash 20 (I'm not selling it- I just saw a great sale on them-- $120).

I really like my camelback striker, but it doesn't have a spot for a quiver. I can fit everything I need for bowhunting in it including: binocs, knives, gutting tools, flashlight, calls, bow hanger, gloves, facemask, stocking hat, scents, release, rope. I got it on sale for like $50.

I think it's the perfect size for bowhunting and it has the hyrdration bladder.

I really like my camelback striker, but it doesn't have a spot for a quiver. I can fit everything I need for bowhunting in it including: binocs, knives, gutting tools, flashlight, calls, bow hanger, gloves, facemask, stocking hat, scents, release, rope. I got it on sale for like $50.

I think it's the perfect size for bowhunting and it has the hyrdration bladder.

Yea, its more of a day pack, no meat carrying capacity needed. Was looking for something that held my quiver or has an internal quiver to hold a minimum of 4 arrows and sits vertically. I'm a little on the cheap side so $30-$60 might be to low I might have to ask for one present for xmas ;o)

mr

I use a camelback for my Elk hunts in the Rockies. I also use the Primos compound Bow Sling for my long treks. You could carry an extra quiver in the Camelback along w/your other grear. I got my CB at Cabela's on sale in your price range.

I use an SOP G2 day pack most often and also an SOP Mainbeam pack when I'm carrying video gear or when I need my bow strapped onto the pack. For my whitetail and turkey needs, I've been pleased with both. I've also heard excellent things about the Badlands series of packs.

You may want to look into the cat back type packs. They have a backpack attached to a vertical quiver. I got a larger one which has the back pack that will hold a water bottle knives, spare clothing, ect for hunting for the day. I believe they have 3 different sizes. The quiver will hold 5-7 arrows easily and the fletching is protected. You can easily secure the frame of the quiver to a tree or hang the pack and quiver from a bowhanger,treestep or branch. I used mine out in colorado while bowhunting for elk. You can reach around and slip an arrow out of the quiver while wearing the pack but it takes some practice to not make any noise while attempting this. Might be an option for you.

Tunrevir~

I have been interested also. I put the Horn Hunter Slingshot with the quiver on my xmas list. It seems pretty nice for a day pack and every review I have found on Horn Hunters says it is dandy pack. $89 at Cabelas so a little more then you stated you were looking to spend but I am curious to hear what you came up with.

Yea, I like the G2 Day pack that you suggested SNS but I'm not sure if the wife is going to drop the cash for it as my wheeler might be needing some mechanincal work before the snow starts to pile up. After researching so many packs I might be leaning more toward the pack that can hold my bow as well as my quiver to make for hands free walking to my stand. This way I can apply for Riply and explore more public land way back in the woods that I have my sights on for next year.

To sum up my research I'm going to hold off till spring or maybe this summer and purchase a larger pack for this kind of hunting but not to big that it will be a "meat" pack. I appreciate everyones input as there is way to many options out there. I'll be at the Shot Show in January so I should be exposed to most of the bigger named packs and maybe even find a show deal or two.

Thanks for all your help!

MR

I researched packs for a long time, and finally settled on an Eberlestock Just One pack. Great for day trips, expandable for hauling you bibs or parka, and I am able to haul by bow or gun in the build in sling in the pack. They are made out west and guys use them all the time for packing in and out of the mts, but what sold me was how versatile that pack was for all types of hunting.

FYI you can also attached a deer stand pretty easy to these packs. I have a lone wolf stand and it fits pretty nicely on the pack.