• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Keeping mice out of the boat......

BillyBoy23

I have used them with good success but make sure to cahnge them out a few times. Only real good thing is moth balls and getting that boat cover as tight as possible. Dont leave any compartments open and tape any other holes they may get into.

At the suggestion of my father-in-law. I loaded my old RV full of moth balls one year! crazy Next spring mouse [PoorWordUsage] and tollet paper every where. And oh ya, smelt like &%$#en Moth Balls all summer! So I don't think they work, but hey your aren't going to sleep in your boat give them a try. I would bite the bullet and get the whole thing shunken wrapped! wink

Dryer sheets are not a reliable way to stop mice --- mice will use them to build nests.

I put mothballs inside old socks, then stash the socks throughout my boat in the storage compartments, gunnels, bilge, etc. I've never had a mouse problem and leaving the compartment hatches open for a day or two gets rid of any lingering odor from the moth balls.

I store by boat in a small shed and a usually have a box of mothballs spread around loose, then I place dryer sheets inside the boat. I have had no issues ever with mice in the boat.

Another key I believe that works well is to keep the area around the outside of the shed clean with no long grass or weeds and no junk piles around.

This has been a great way for me to keep those pests out and not have to deal with mice at ALL.

People who've stored boats with me have used dryer sheets, moth balls, pepermint oil & cab fresh. They all seem to work for some peple some of the time. The most important thing is to have the boat cleaned out.

No worm dirt or bedding ground into the carpet, no food or food wrappers in the boat. If you have a dog, look for dog food or treats in any compartments. No Gulp or other scented soft baits. If you use De-con or other poisons put them outside the boat, they are also a bait that will attract mice. Make sure the grass is short enough that it doesn't touch the trailer or boat.

Try Fresh Cab botanical rodent repellent pouches. I get them at Fleet in the animal and absolutely love them. They have a stronger flower smell sort of. Sure love the results I've had the past number of years. I also use them in my portable during the summer which I leave outside.

I clean the boat and open all the storage areas. I have a lot of moth balls in the boat. I have been using them for years without any problems. Yes they do smell in the spring, but if it keeps the mice out I don't care. I also put poison out in the garage and traps. I know there is mice in there, for I get a few in my traps.

Moth balls work for me too.Instead of just dumping them in the boat I use small dixie cups (2 ounce size)and place 5to10 balls in each.Then you can place them where you please and still relocate your boat/rv/whatever vehicle without having to reset your moth balls.If you do have an issue in the spring with lingering "smells"try using plain coffee grounds (fresh not brewed)and place them in the affected areas for a couple of days.Whomever suggested CLEANING!your rig well before storage is a wise man.c63

Get them out? They are great entertainment in the spring. Running side by side with my Brother-in-Law one spring. He goes from WOT to looking like he is in sword fight in the blink of an eye. All of sudden I see this little brown blip flying through the air and we are back on it. I wish I had a camera.