• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stuff needed to load sled in truck (in addition to a ramp)?

kdawg

I'm getting rid of my 2 place trailer mainly because I don't want to pay just to store it any longer. I plan on hauling the sled in the back of my truck. I'm going to get a nice aluminum ramp with the hard plastic stuff on the ski part for the carbides. Here's my problem: How do I get the sled from my garage or driveway into the truck without scratching up concrete floor or driveway? I plan on getting a nice work stand for it, as well as a set of 3 dollies for when it's in the garage. Do most guys just push it on the dollies up to the ramp and the push the skis on the ramp, remove ski dollies, then push it until track hits ramp, then drive the rest of the way up? Is there an easier way? I'm not near a ditch and can't count on any snowbanks. Also, i forgot to mention that I have a studded track and this is the main reason I'm having problems figuring out a method to load without damaging my garage floor or driveway. Thanks for the input.

I bought some of those dollies from FF and they didn't work well. I ended up building my own out of some wood and dollies. I had a dolly on each ski and one for under the track.

To specifically answer your question though, I only used the track dolly during the summer when my sled was summerized. During the riding season I ran the sled with only the dollies on the skis. It was actually fun to ride it down the ally with the skis on dollies. When I got the sled to my truck ramps, I took off the dollies and drove it up the ramps.

One bit of advice, always have the sled facing forward in the bed. Otherwise, you'll get a lot of road salt on your sled's dash board.

BTW - the snowbanks are a great substitute for ramps in the winter. Good luck

Problem solved: An electric hoist mounted to my garage ceiling. Lift er up, set it in. I'll then have the ramps with me for loading/unloading elsewhere. I'd like to say I thought of this myself, but I didn't. The info was given to my by a fellow on DooTalk. I did get quite a few suggesions but this one was the best (involves the least amount of effort/work)and it is relatively inexpensive - can get a good electric hoist for $130. Thanks for the input fellas.

Or build something cheap, I built this for my first sled years ago (Doo fan now!!).

That looks slick! Two questions: How easy is it to lift in and out? What keeps it from sliding forward when you start driving sled up it?

Originally Posted By: 311Hemi
Or build something cheap, I built this for my first sled years ago (Doo fan now!!).

That looks slick! Two questions: How easy is it to lift in and out? What keeps it from sliding forward when you start driving sled up it?

Once you find out where the tipping point of the ramp is with the sled on it it's fairly easy to lift up and once you get it going the engine provides downward weight and tips it up and in. Had I kept the sled I would have cut a notch on the bottom exactly where that tipping point was. I always loaded it with just me though. I would actually get the sled on the ramp and then back the truck up a little which would push the whole thing a little closer to the tipping point making it easier to tip up.

I drove nails through the bottom, which you can see is at an angle so that board sits flat on the ground when the ramp is down. If I did it over again I would use some bigger bolts or studs or something something....it did slide a few times on hard/ice surfaces. Grass was not really an issue.

The plastic truck bed liner made this setup slide very easy...that was big. Had I not had that bed liner it would have been tough to push the sled into the back and pull it out. I probably would have made up some sort of wheel system then. The sled would pretty much just slide off this ramp when I removed the parking brake.

Definitely would have expanded on the design had I continued to need it....but it served it's purpose well.

If you have reverse on the sled some ramps to just drive up and back off would probably be the easiest (or a long rubber mat in the garage). Just load it from the grass.

I got this idea from an aluminum system that some guy came up with.....but I could not afford!!!

Problem solved: An electric hoist mounted to my garage ceiling. Lift er up, set it in. I'll then have the ramps with me for loading/unloading elsewhere. I'd like to say I thought of this myself, but I didn't. The info was given to my by a fellow on DooTalk. I did get quite a few suggesions but this one was the best (involves the least amount of effort/work)and it is relatively inexpensive - can get a good electric hoist for $130. Thanks for the input fellas.

Before you get too far into this, you have some things to consider...

1. A good hoist that can hold the weight of the sled is going to run more than $130. Even at Harbor freight or somewhere cheap.

2. Is your ceiling/studs strong enough to hold the weight of the hoist and sled?

3. where are you going to attach the hoist to the sled? Sure on the bumper and skis, but where on the skis, and how are you going to keep it centered on the bumper?

4. How are you planning on rigging it so your 3 points of contact are all lifting at the same time, especially with different loads being exerted from each point?

5. Please keep in mind. If a hoist says it can hold lets say 1300 lbs, that is with the line doubled over and the hook connected back up the body of the hoist. (something to consider if your rigging pulleys to get all the lift points taken care of.)

LightningBG, I do appreciate the input and I have looked into all the points to consider. I've spoken with a number of individuals already and am close to having all of the due dilligence taken care of before I start the project. All very good points, BTW.

Keep in mind that the cost of the trailer storage goes down proportionally to the amount of time, money and effort put forth trying to find a work around. You might find that that the cost seems reasonable compared to the alternative.

If your biggest concern is damaging the concrete, there must be a way to use a big rubber pad or some plywood or something.

The hoist sounds scary to me.

The hoist sounds scary to me.

It did to me too, until I talked to another guy who's done the same thing, except his rafters are 2x4's. So he tied it into 7 rafters. He's lifted 750 lbs. numerous times with no problem (so far). My rafters are 2x12's as there is a room directly above. I'm planning on tying into at least four rafters if I do this. My maximum weight, including hoist and mounting material will be under 550 lbs. I'm still not 100 percent about doing it as I'm still weighing my options. Believe me, if the hoist goes up, it will be perfectly safe. I do appreciate the input as it pays to be extremely cautious before embarking on a project like this. I still haven't ruled out "plan B", which in all likelyhood will include a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

Different people see things different ways, neither being right or wrong. I see it this way: If there's anything I can do (age 43, a right shoulder with a torn labrum, and growing aches and pains by the year) to take more work out of having fun, I'm going to do it. Ten years ago pushing, lifting and pulling on a sled didn't bother me in the least. Today, it's a different story. I still run 2 miles at least 3 times a week and do light weight lifting, BUT, I am not gonna push and pull a 400+ lb. sled any more than I have to - it just isn't worth the risk of injury to me anymore. My 2 cents.

yeah, you've got to be kidding me...no wonder were the country with the obesity problem..this is an example of how lazy we are....damm if you have enough energy to ride a sled thru the trails this shouldn't be necessary

What? So I guess trailers are the reason for obesity as well? Maybe we should carry our sleds and boats home on our backs?

I dont understand your thinking.

yeah, you've got to be kidding me...no wonder were the country with the obesity problem..this is an example of how lazy we are....damm if you have enough energy to ride a sled thru the trails this shouldn't be necessary

LOL....nice useful info! crazy

Because driving up a trailer is soooo much more work than an auto lift, I might have to pay a little more attention this year to see if there are any heavy set guys riding sleds that use trailers....what do you think? I bet you don't have reverse on your sled either cause that would certainly only be for lazy people.....whistle

I personally this it's a sweet setup....but to each their own I guess.

Whoa, fellow's! Who cares how you get it there! Pull it, lift it, drag it, trailer it! Just get there! When I was a teen, I use to pull my hood off so I could cram my sled in backwards in the back of dad's station wagon just to get it to the woods!

Just get there and have some fun! grin

kdawg, I still have the ramp shown in the first pics sitting on the side of my garage and I believe it's still in decent condition. Your welcome to have it if you want to give it a shot. I run a topper now and will buy a trailer if/when I get another sled. Let me know and I can get you my info.

Hey Hemi, that is a very nice offer. It's always nice to see that the vast majority of folks that post here are good people. I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to get plywood on my garage floor, abbuting the back wall, set my sled down on that, and then drive up my atv ramp. I'm gonna fasten an old snowmobile track to the middle and ski runners to the outside. If this option doesn't work, I may just give you a shout and see if your offer still stands. Thanks to everyone for all the input. (and a big thanks to me for starting such a controversial topic!!! ;))

Hemi that frame is perfect.

How is that dog coming along and will you be up here again around Thanks Giving?

Frank, the new pup is coming along well. Yes, we are heading up Wed. night and I plan on hitting the woods both Thurs and Friday morning. You feel like getting out for a bit? It's looking like some nice grousin' weather! BTW, any ticks still out up there?

kdawg.....just let me know....it isn't going anywhere!