• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Antler mounting on board ??

CC Hurl

Just wondering if anyone knows were i could get good info and photo's of how you are supposed to make the cut on a deers head to remove the antlers? My nephew shot his first deer with a bow. Little 7 point and he is so excited.

I want to mount it on a board for him but can't seem to find any good info on how to make the cut for removing the antlers.

Any info would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks and good luck out there. Stay safe.

CC HURL

Just grab a hacksaw and make two cuts, the first being about an inch below the front of the antlers going back at a 45 degree angle and the 2nd cut behind the antlers going down to meet the 1st cut. It's pretty simple. You can always take some more off with a belt sander and clean it up. I get the screwdriver, utility knife, and some bleach and clean it up the best I can. He'll treasure that forever.

I even found a pic for ya.

vt70412fig1.jpg

Hey thanks for the good replies you guys. The diagram is awsome. Just what i was looking for.

As far as removing the hair. I have read that some people boil it with water to remove it. Has anyone seen it done this way?

Seems to me it would be hard on the antlers?

If i need to scrape it and it takes longer that is fine as i do not want to wreck it.

Thanks again for your help and any more tips on this project are welcome as this will be a first for me and i want it to look good for the nephew.

CC HURL

As Huntnfish said get the skin and hair off the skull as soon as possible. If left too long it is pretty much imposible to remove (I know, I let one go too long and it will not come off).

Just peel the skin off as best you can with a pliers, knife, and by hand. I then clean as much meat and brains off the skull as possible and then boil the remaining skull portion the rack ataches to. You don't need to boild the whole rack. This boiling cooks any remaining flesh and it usually pulls off pretty easily. You can bleach the skull as well, but don't find I need to since it is covered usually.

Hope this helps. Congradulate your nephew on his first archery buck.

Once the antlers are removed from the skull, cut off all the meat you can and clean the antler base where it connects with the skull plate very well.

Then I would salt the skull base and let it sit for a week and then cut off what you can again.

After that, you could sprinkle some borax that you could purchase in the grocery store and let it sit for a few days.

Now it should be ready to be placed on a plaque and it has been bug proofed with the borax.

Hi sticknstring, Hey you had mentioned to cut in front of the antlers about 1'' and to cut at a 45 degree angle. The piture you gave me (thanks again) looks like it may be 90 degree.

Not questioning what you said to do but am i just seeing the diagram wrong and it is supposed to be 45 degree?

My concern is that if i cut it wrong it will sit on the board funny and not look good. I will probably cut it a little longer just in case i make a mistake and like you had mentioned i can sand it to my liking once i am comfortable with the angle.

Thanks again for your help.

CC HURL

I've done two of them this year, best to do them while the head is fresh, its easier and less smelly. A good place to start the cuts is right in back of the eyes and right in front of the ears. More skull is better than too little, if you break the horns apart its a mess!

Before you start cutting with the hacksaw, take a sharp knife and cut thru the hide, right where you want to make you angle cuts.

When you have the horns off, then take that knife and make a cut in the hide right down between the antlers, then skin the hide back to the antler base. Make another cut thru the hide to the antler base and take a pliers and slowly pull the hide away. Do the same to the second antler and the skin around it.

Once you have the hide off I just scrape as much meat off as possible, maybe trim some more with the hacksaw, and then let it dry. When I put it on a board I cover it with felt or leather.

This is just about the perfect cut.

DSC02347.jpg

You could leave a bit more behind the antlers. That way when mounting them to the board you can trim them to fit nicely.

DSC01818.jpg

DSC01816.jpg

Here's some finished ones I've done.

CC- Sorry, I probably confused you with the angles. Just do as the diagram pictured and you'll be fine. I just looked at a few I have here at work and the cuts I made on them are very close to the diagram. They don't have to be perfect. The antler kits are pretty generous & will accommodate most skull plates. Like I said, you can always take off more bone afterwards but it's nice to get it right the first time. I try to cut close to the pedicles as I can. It may seem weak after you cut it but as the bone dries out, it'll stiffen back up solid. Good luck.

Don- I love those wood base slabs you used. I remember seeing them last year but they're worth another look. Nicely done!

I've done two of them this year, best to do them while the head is fresh, its easier and less smelly. A good place to start the cuts is right in back of the eyes and right in front of the ears. More skull is better than too little, if you break the horns apart its a mess!

Before you start cutting with the hacksaw, take a sharp knife and cut thru the hide, right where you want to make you angle cuts.

When you have the horns off, then take that knife and make a cut in the hide right down between the antlers, then skin the hide back to the antler base. Make another cut thru the hide to the antler base and take a pliers and slowly pull the hide away. Do the same to the second antler and the skin around it.

Once you have the hide off I just scrape as much meat off as possible, maybe trim some more with the hacksaw, and then let it dry. When I put it on a board I cover it with felt or leather.

To finish the horns off and get them mounted nicely on a plaque after the above, I cut a 3 inch circle of 3/4 inch pine and mount the horns to it. Then I use a little plaster of paris to round off the skull, then put felt over it, glueing it down behind the three inch circle. Then you can screw thru the back of the plaque into that three inch circle, makes for easy mounting and a clean finish.

Donbo, I like your work!

OK I have the antlers off and it came out good. Looks just like the piture with the real antlers. All the flesh is off and i have it covered in salt now.

Now for the next question. Do i fill in the scull cap with something and also do i use some type of filler to make a form around the scull cap. I have looked at some directions and one shows pre drilling a couple holes in the scull cap to mount on the board. I guess i am not real sure were to go from here so if someone has any idea were i can get some good direction please let me know. I have one a freind did for me a few years ago but he has passed on. I was thinking about taking it apart to see how he did it but do not want to wreck it. Any more tips are very welcome and thanks for all the help you have given me.

At this point i am happy having it off the head as that was a little discusting for this guy. Lol

Thanks Again,

CC HURL

CC- Not sure if you bought or plan on buying a kit but it'll come with everything you need and are typically pretty inexpensive. Just pre-drill a hole or two through the skull and pop in a few screws or zipties and secure it to the wood base. You can then use the provide "felt" plastic cutout to wedge beneath the antler bases (some trimming of the mold may be required) and you're pretty much done. Sometimes, if you have a gap, you can take some twine, fancy rope, or leather strap and wrap it around the bases of the antler to cover any gaps. Post a picture of it when you're all finished. I'd love to see it.

Thanks SS, Can a guy buy the kit at fleet farm or Cabelas? I am guessing there is some directions that may come with it?

Once i get it done( not sure how long it will take)I will try posting a pic. even though i am not good at posting pic's. LOL

I am having fun doing this for my nephew and he thinks it is going to take the winter before i get it back to him since i have never done one. Maybe i will surprise him. Lol If this works out i would like to do all family racks if they like how it turns out. Pretty picky bunch so i better get it right. Lol

Thanks again for your help and have a good evening.

CC HURL

Yep... Fleet or the big C will have them and most all I've seen have simple instructions to follow. It won't take long, I bet you'll have it completed in 30 minutes or less. Your nephew will be very impressed, I guarantee it. Have fun with it & if you need help posting a pic, let us know - we'll get it posted for ya.

Don,

Great looking antler displays!!! How did you get the nice shape of the base around the antlers? Plaster of paris, clay, foam????

Thanks,

Brian

I screw a plywood base to the the skull and build up with plaster of paris, then smooth with a wood rasp. Usually takes 3 or 4 layers of plaster, you don't want to put too much on at a time or it will never harden. Ive used the spray foam but like the plaster better.