• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

#7 BEMIDJI STATE vs Minnesota Gophers this weekend!

mr_jman

Anyone else really excited to see the #7 ranked Bemidji State Beavers take on the Unranked (#25) Gophers this weekend! Although I have a feeling it might be a split this weekend, I for one would love to see BSU remain unbeated and be the little school that could!

Weekend predictions?

BSU sweep

Split

Gophers sweep

If they split, it would be a shallow victory for Bemidji as they are the #7 ranked team playing a unranked team. Being ranked that high, they should win both and anything less would not favor them at all.

I don't know if I'd go that far. It's pretty early in the year for polls to mean anything (not that they ever really mean anything). MN has higher-end recruits, speed and skill on the blue line and have played higher competition, but I think BSU is better coached.

I really don't know what to expect this series. I don't think the Gophers will blow out BSU, and vice versa. I think MN needs these games more, but BSU has something to prove to big brother. I'll go 5-3 MN Saturday/3-3 on Sunday. Too much speed for MN vs BSU's blue line - especially on the big sheet of ice.

Being ranked only means the pollsters are going with the popular choice. The Beavers are still have the glow of last year going.

Exactly.

But while my head says split, my heart (and decades of rivalry for my Sioux against the maroon rodents) is crying out for a BSU sweep, and with goose eggs for the rodents! gringrin

But while my head says split, my heart (and decades of rivalry for my Sioux against the maroon rodents) is crying out for a BSU sweep, and with goose eggs for the rodents! gringrin

Steve, a Packer and a Sioux fan?!? You sound green with envy! Come on, convert to one of us! grin

I agree, the rankings don't mean much this early in the season are more the results from last year's playoffs. I'll say the Gophers will sweep. The first game might be closer, but the Gophers will win by 2+ goals in game 2.

Regardless of the current rankings (which we all agree are pretty meaningless at this point of the season), a loss to Bemidji would be very disappointing to the Gophers. The U has to be looking for nothing less than a sweep this weekend, although the games should be entertaining.

I forsee a split. It will not help the Beavers because they are ranked higher, although it would certainly give them some satisfaction. It will not help the Gophers either since they need a sweep or two to re-establish themselves among the ranked teams.

Sweeps by either school would be a big boost.

Gophers sweep, I'm sorry but gearing up for the trip to Mariucci by playing Alabama and Robert Morris (I thought they made cigarettes) isn't going to count for much. Losing Bariball and Leddy hurts, but the gophers have too much talent to stay this dormant. If someone would please take the puck to the net they might score a goal or two.

I'm still going to stick with a split. The Gophers on paper have more talent even though they have some major losses. I do think people underestimate Bemidji's talent and their goaltending which is VERY GOOD so far. Even though the competition hasn't been the greatest, you can still be a very good team despite playing bad competition! I think if Bemidji is going to win it will be Saturday night. I think the Gophers will make the proper adjustments and win on Sunday. If anything I just hope for two well played hockey games regardless of the final score.

The Gophers have been my lifelong favorite team, and before I went to BSU I said I would still favor the Gophers but after going to almost every game I have to say I love Bemidji so go BEAVERS!

Only half the team is Canadian, which has been typical of BSU hockey teams. You'll also find plenty of northern Minnesota kids who weren't "good enough" for the rest of the hockey world. It's a long season and a split at Minnesota goes a long way toward building confidence for the rest of the season.

I don't know if anyone was watching the game in the 3rd period, but the announcer says....."this is a good bemidji team, but for the WCHA they need to get bigger, faster and deeper".

I'm thinking a team thats beating the gophers 6-1 at that time, was does this mean the gophers need to be competitive in the WCHA. ......i would say a complete over haul!!!

Typical Frank/Woog comment about a non-Gopher team.

I never really noticed how much of a homer these guys are until I'm cheering for the other team. (Yes I know Woog is a former Gopher coach) It seems like they can't give credit where it is due... Bemidji at 8-1-1 outplayed the Gophers (.500 team so far) on Sunday, and played well on Saturday but couldn't capitalize on opportunities. They still aren't going to be good enough to compete in the WCHA next year? Well, Bemidji also plays Mankato, and Duluth this year. Can't wait to see how they compete.

I just had to voice the opinion of me and many of my friends and others I know who were texting me all weekend about the "homer" announcers!

You would notice the "homers" more if you were watching the goofs play the sioux as a sioux fan. They are beyond homers more when the stakes are higher.

Slow play? I thought BSU looked pretty fast. As far as team speed goes, I would say that BSU may be faster than the gophers. The gophers have more talent but puck pressure with fast skating is Beaver Hockey.