• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dumb Ipod question

I'll admit I'm more than a little technologically slow!

My wife wants to get my 9 year old son an Ipod shuffle for christmas. While she was shopping at Target today, she talked to an employee about Ipods since neither of us have ever owned one yet. My wife got the idea from this employee that the only way to load songs on this Ipod is to buy the songs from Itunes. He is only 9 and I have plenty of songs on my computer that I loaded from my CDs that he likes. I don't want to have to go and buy songs to fill up this Ipod. Can I not use these songs on an Ipod shuffle? Would I have to buy these songs all over again for 99cents each?

Depends on what format they are. Not sure how/if you can load them directly. However you can import them into iTunes and have them sync up/load the iPod that way.

So you can have songs you purchase from iTunes and your MP3's on there. Not sure what other formats it supports.

OK, thats what I was thinking. Actually I was curious so I just downloaded ITUNES and it is automatically importing all of my songs that were on my computer in windows media player. I would think that that would mean those songs could then be loaded into an IPOD.

I believe you are correct. However, if you still have the actual CDs...its pretty easy and fast to load the CD into the computer and then directly into the Itunes. That is what I did when I got mine a few years ago....and BTW I think the I-pod is a fantastic gift. I got my first one when I was 38 years old now wish I would have jumped on the wagon much sooner.

Cliffy

Yes, it is free to download your own music from CDs to itunes and then the shuffle. Just make sure you keep up with the updated versions of itunes as they are always changing (my biggest complaint) because some of the new songs you may want are only available with the newest software.

Yep, put CD into tray, and it will ask you if you want to sync CD to Itunes. Click NO. The CD track list will still appear. Check boxes of the songs off the CD you want to download, then hit IMPORT at bottom. Up in the upper left you see "FILE" left click on that and drag down to NEW PLAYLIST and double click on it. You can the put your artists name in and hit enter. Once the songs DL'ed you click on it and drag it down to that artist.

One thing I figured out last night is even though I have DL'ed most of my own CDs, you can right click on that album and click on get album artwork and iTunes finds it for you. Since you are just getting a shuffle you won't have to worry about that

Anyone know what the law is regarding copywrite? Is it legal to buy a CD and copy the files to an MP3 player or Ipod? Almost impossible to track but doesn't make it legal if it isn't.

I know. We've done it for decades. When I was a kid I'd buy albums and then copy them to cassette tape for my car. Those are things we used before PCs, Ipods, CDs, and such were popular for those of you young'ens in the crowd.

Just curious about the laws.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I downloaded ITUNES last night and it automatically imported all the music I had in my computer already. I assume that when the time comes(x-mas morning) I will be able to load any songs that I may have that he may want onto his IPOD.

I doubt that he will want any of my Johnny Cash, Hank jr., Hank III, Willie Nelson, Waylon, or David Allan Coe but he does love my 80's rock!

Big Dave he will love the great music in time just keep playing it in the background when he grows up he will associate the music to his hero(you) and it will be instilled into his blood. At least that's how it got into my blood.

Good luck with the IPod. Cool to look back at each generation to see the technology each grew up with and the advancements.

No problem, glad to help. Its just one of those cool inventions that our kids will ever wonder how we managed without it!! smile I am thinking about getting my 19 month old one for kids/Disney songs and music for her to fall asleep to. Keep a few of your favorite "old" songs on there and he will probably grow up liking them.

Christmas morning you will just have to sync it up with iTunes. So basically start iTunes, plug in the cord that came with it (it will charge the battery at the same time), you'll be asked to enter in some basic info, and then it will sync. There should be a little box next each song that you can uncheck if you don't want it to load on the iPod.

Good Luck!

That reminds me of another question. Is the only way to charge this thing to plug it into the USB port of a computer? If so, will it still charge when the laptop computer I have is closed and in sleep mode? Is there an accessory to buy that will allow you to charge it by plugging it into an electrical outlet?

I got the Ipod Nano last spring and then picked up a device called an Itrip. That thing is great for in the car or at home. Anywhere you have a digitally tuned fm receiver, you can play your music over the speakers instead of the ear buds.

You can get a regular charger or one that plugs into the cigarette outlet your vehicle. I would also give a thumbs up to the I-trip or similar device. Its nice to plug in and have your music transmitted to any near by radio. The only thing you really need to be careful about is the charging time. I have a I-trip like device in my truck where I can cradle the Ipod and it transmits over the radio and charges it at the same time. DONT leave the Ipod in such a device all the time...it fries the batteries and soon they wont hold a charge for very long. I have lost two in such a manner.

How about the cheap IPOD knock-offs that I see for sale on that popular online auction site? Whats wrong with these? Is the quality bad? Why do people pay 5-6 times more for an IPOD?

I bought a Philips last year for $50 at WalMart and used it in my car through an AUX jack in my stereo. It crackled and sounded really bad, I thought it might have been the cable. I then bought my Nano and it went away, so it was the MP3 player. Also the Philips and my Nano have built in FM tuners, the Philips doesn't get very good reception, but the Nano gets in stations 50 miles away fairly good.

Alot of the knock offs don't have as good of functionality as the iPod, plus you have to question the internal components if they are selling that much cheaper.

iPod's have dropped in price with each generation (considering features/specs) so its not like they keep jacking up their prices. Remember they make most of their money selling songs/shows/movies off of iTunes, so they want to sell as many iPod's as they can.

I would really stick w/ an actual Ipod if it's within your budget. Most of his friends will probably have actual Ipods also, not the knockoffs.

Itunes is pretty slick for loading it also...the others come with random software, if at all.

I struggled w/ paying the extra $$ for actual Ipod vs knockoff, but am pleased that I did. All of the accesories available will work on the actual Ipod also.