• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnesota Hockey

Hockey Guy

It would appear that it's going to be a brutal year to be a Minnesota hockey fan. The Wild are mathematically eliminated and we're not even a month into the season. The Gophers are off to the worst start in school history for scoring and they haven't been shutout in back-to-back games since 1927!!!! Like I said, it's not shaping up to be a good hockey year...

Yep its been an ugly start thats for sure, thank god its fall and I will be busy hunting while they try and figure things out. I have to think one of them will be able to make some kind of turnaround but at this point its hard to say who.

Is it just me or is watching the Wild like watching paint dry. Boring/predictable hockey. We look very confused in our end every time I watch. Richards appears very confused and emotionless every time the camera pans on him. Ramsey normally reserved is all over a ref at one point and Richards appears afraid to say anything. We get on the Power Play. Here again predictable. If we get in their end and the puck comes to Burns...he shoots...every time... into traffic... Bruno finally puts one in to pull within one with lots of time left and he looks like he is ready for a nap! State of Hockey...State of LIFELESS!!!

I agree on the Gophers schedule, brutal. It's the way they are losing that's so concerning. I'll be rooting for UMD this year, or St Cloud if UMD falters.

It's been really tough to watch the Wild. I wasn't expecting much this year, but I thought they'd have a little more offense. The puck is just not finding those holes. They are getting some decent pressure at times. It seems like your luck can go either way sometimes. I'm sure they'll improve some, but realistically they don't have much of a chance this year.

Fogot about Bemidji State. Great squad that was a lot of fun to watch in the NCAA's last year. It's tough to gauge their level of play this year with their schedule though. They do have Minnesota, Miami OH, and UMD on their upcoming schedule. It'll be interesting to see how they are playing at the end of the regular season. Looking forward to seeing them in the WCHA next year.

First chance I've really had to sit down and watch the Wild last night. Was only able to catch the third period but think I saw enough. Hard to believe an NHL team can can play such fundamentally poor hockey. Gonna be a loooong season. Did appreciate the cameraman's frequent shots of the hockey puck in black/white checks behind the coach though. winkwhistle

Gotta leave the chokers alone for now as my team got an L hung on them by Alaska last weekend.

Fogot about Bemidji State. Great squad that was a lot of fun to watch in the NCAA's last year. It's tough to gauge their level of play this year with their schedule though. They do have Minnesota, Miami OH, and UMD on their upcoming schedule. It'll be interesting to see how they are playing at the end of the regular season. Looking forward to seeing them in the WCHA next year.

BSU not currently being in the WCHA makes them somewhat on the outside looking in. They have a good, speedy squad this year. They swept Air Force and took 3 points from Northern MI.

November will be interesting for them - they go to their CHA rival, Alabama Huntsville (who beat Notre Dame), travel to the Gofers and also play OSU and Miami in Grand Forks.

The Gophers have too much talent. It's only October!

Originally Posted By: solbes

BSU not currently being in the WCHA makes them somewhat on the outside looking in. They have a good, speedy squad this year. They swept Air Force and took 3 points from Northern MI.

November will be interesting for them - they go to their CHA rival, Alabama Huntsville (who beat Notre Dame), travel to the Gofers and also play OSU and Miami in Grand Forks.

The Gophers have too much talent. It's only October!

Yeah- I see the Beavers SWEEP da Gophers! smile

I just have to share two great quotes that I heard that pertain to the current state of the Wild. The first one was a few years ago by Ron Wilson when he was coaching the most talented team in the NHL at the time, the Sharks. This is when Richards was an assistant coach under Wilson. He was asked by a reporter why he doesn't play more offensively when his team is so offensively talented? His Reply: "I would love to play more offensive. I would love to forecheck two or three guys and bring our defense in on offensive rushes. But, if I did that we would lose every game and I would get fired. You can't play that way in the NHL and win." I guess Richards is kind of proving his point.

The other one was a DJ on the radio that said, "The Wild is 27th in the league right now in scoring. This new offensive system of the Wild should really help sell tickets... To the Timberwolves!!!" I had to chuckle at that one.

Yeah, but I see them coming around a little bit. Maybe playing sub .500 to .500 hockey. I don't see them contending for anything this year unless there is a huge turnaround.

The system has flaws defensively, but also the team on the ice is not what it needs to be. Havlat has been okay, nothing to get too excited about. PMB being out has really exposed us to having a weak #2 center. PMB would be a serviceable #2, but not great. We just don't have the guys we need to consistently put the puck in the net.

I think people might have been expecting too much, we have a rookie coach/gm and a new playing style. If we are lucky they will play well the second half of the season. It could also take a couple of years to work out the kinks and get the players they want.