• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trout Photo Gallery

Driftless

i haven't hit the cannon yet this year, but the carp on the vermillion are pretty inactive. but i might hit a spot on the mississippi this weekend.

and yes, roughfish go all year. no waiting for a season! yet another plus side of chasing the roughies

roughfish one is allowed to fish for alternate species on a designated trout stream- year round? I know in WI it is illegal to fish for any species of fish in a designated trout stream when trout season is closed.

I sifted through MN regs. It says rough fish may not be taken by spear, harpoon, or dip net in designated trout lakes or streams. However does not say you cannot fish for them.

So you fish with bait. If a CO checks you out how would he know if you are targeting trout or targeting rough fish?

i believe you cannot fish designated trout streams during the closed season. he is probably fishing the non-designated portion of the vermillion, and the Cannon itself is not a designated trout stream

Yeah assume so. I'm sure MN is just like WI. You cannot target any species in a designated trout stream during the closed season. So downstream of 52 I guess. Cannon open year round too. None of it is designated except the Little Cannon.

I've always been under the assumption that if the stream is a designated trout water.. then you cannot fish it unless season is open..

PS: can you fish non-designated waters year round? or do you still need to use the seasonal guidelines?.... next year will be so much easier when all streams can be fished in the winter

Quote:
PS: can you fish non-designated waters year round? or do you still need to use the seasonal guidelines?.... next year will be so much easier when all streams can be fished in the winter

Great question. Believe it is a gray area. There are many many more non-designated streams that hold trout in WI than MN. And if one went there to catch and release trout (pre-season) would that be legal? I assume so as long as it is first Sat in March. Why not? In my opinion if you were in southwestern WI, what else would you be fishing for on a small spring creek?

Yet in WI the first Sat in March is open to ALL streams in western and southwestern WI. You are right. When 2011 or 2012 Jan 1 is open to all streams this will simplify regulations.

ok, ok, here is the deal, i am (was) fishing on designated trout water. but in the 2010 regulations, it says that STREAMS-winter season is from jan. 1 - march 31.

i do not want to be breaking any laws, i absolutely cannot stand people who do, but i don't believe i was. to be safe, i will be staying off of the vermilion until i get further clarification, or until april 17th.

somebody please help me out

The winter season in streams is for certain streams in the southeast part of the state. The Vermilion is not one of those, although only part of the water is designated trout water. The part that is not designated is legal to fish year round for legal species.

Nice fish everyone! cool

Our trout opener is always april 1st and my dad and I had a good first morning...

We always start fishing a trib of a lake that has rainbows. These fish run op the creeks each spring to spawn. It's never a numbers game but you have a shot at a big fish. We covered alot of water and my dad connected with this 2 footer...

008fsp.jpg

From there we hit one of our favorite creeks for holdover browns. They stock this creek but not yet this year. We picked up 5 nice fish before I had to head to work...

011yy.jpg

010pbp.jpg

Another day out on the stream today... obviously part of it was a popular stretch for the spring catch&release as i came in contact with 2 other cars... was a great day though.. caught a lot of trout.. here's a few

25323_395773641088_673296088_3949097_533

25323_395773651088_673296088_3949098_367

25323_395773666088_673296088_3949101_150

25323_395774186088_673296088_3949128_291

hey nice fish itchmesir. just a friendly reminder, if you are going to release trout it is not good to lay them on the ground like that

i'm guilty of it occasionally myself, but i'm trying to cut it out. NOT good for them!