• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trout Photo Gallery

Driftless

Beautiful! He looks kinda old though, how can we tell a trout's age?

There are 2 ways to tell a trouts age, one is to remove a scale and look at it under a microscope and count the rings the same as you would with a tree. The other way involves killing the fish to eat and look at the otolith and do the same thing. The otolith is in the skull where the inner ear is.

trout highlights from my trip down to brownsville. full story in the rochester forum

Day one

The guys woke up early to do some scouting for turkeys, since the season started the next day. I stayed around and hung out at the bar drinking spring grove (a locally made soda that tastes absolutely AMAZING)

I began talking to some folks, and before I knew it, I had a guide to help me in my quest of catching my first trout. And get me on a good start toward my grand slam

His name, was Dan. A Vietnam veteran with a great love of the outdoors.

Needless to say, I was very excited. I had my rods ready within a few minutes. And then we were off.

On the way, he gave me a lecture about the basics of trout fishing. “Just stay low, and just let the bait drift.”

Ok, sounds simple enough for me. Upon arriving at the spot, I was immediately spotting fish, and went off on my own.

It took a while but eventually, I landed my very first trout! A tiny brookie, but I was absolutely giddy with excitement

trout3.jpg

After a while of nothing, it was clear I needed a bit more advice, so I went over to Dan, and watched him for a while. I caught on pretty quick after that, and soon landed a nice brookie

trout4.jpg

And eventually landed my first brown. Only one more species until the grand slam!

trout6.jpg

After that, I was catching trout pretty consistently.

trout5.jpg

trout7.jpg

After a while of catching trout around that size, we moved to another spot, which produced nothing. And while driving to another spot, I noticed this area. So we stopped and fished it. It just looked to… “trouty” to just pass up

104_1650.jpg

It didn’t take long before I was hooking up with small browns. It wasn’t until I pitched above one rock, where the current above it was very fast, but the pool below it was fairly slow, that I hooked up to a good sized fish.

trout8.jpg

After a few more brown trout we moved on, and tried another spot. A gorgeous looking water, crystal clear, flowing right trough a pasture.

104_1653.jpg

I wandered down the stream for a little while before finding a nice, deep pool. I tossed the bait in, and right away, fish on! This one was fighting a bit differently that others I caught before. After getting it close I realized it was a new species for me. And shortly afterward, I had my grand slam!

trout9.jpg

trout10.jpg

My first time trout fishing and I got my grand slam! I could not be happier!

Upon arriving back at the shellhorn, I still could not believe I had done it. That was the main reason I went with. And I wondered what I’m going to do the rest of the week… since the grand slam was something I was hoping to accomplish over the entire week… not one day

Day 2

I went back out with Dan, hitting some new areas, And checking every trouty looking area along the way. The guys wanted some trout for the table. And I would not let them down

After a few bridges, we found a nice big pod of keeper sized trout, only catching 3 until the bite shut off, and we moved on.

After a few more bridges, of nothing, we arrived at our spot. A pretty urban looking area, with 2 huge walls covered in graffiti , one on each side of the creek.

DSCN1124.jpg

Below one of the walls was a huge concrete slab, which the current cut around, creating a deep pool. And also cut underneath the slab, making perfect hide out for nice trout

As well as suckers

sucker-2.jpg

I caught 3 keepers before the bite slowed. And I moved downstream

DSCN1125.jpg

Where I caught this old girl

trout.jpg

We hit the area where I got my rainbow the day before, on the way back

And I caught this beauty

trout2.jpg

Day 4

I spent the day fishing alone down at a local park called, Wildcat Park. The park was right on the Mississippi, and also had a trout stream going through it. I had no luck on the river, so I went to the stream, which had one main pool right next to a road. It was a very heavily fished area, and the fish would not take live bait. But upon throwing out a fly… it was a whole different story, they literally tore the fly I was using to shreds! It no longer looks like a stonefly nymph any more, but pretty much a hook covered in black dubbing and a bead head

I had 3 keepers by the time the sun started to set, and once it did… I hooked into a NICE fish, which rocketed straight up out of the water nearly two feet several times. What a sight!

That fish, made the other keepers look like bait!

trout11.jpg

I hooked into another fish just like it, but it flopped right before I grabbed it, and threw the hook. UGH!

All in all… a week that I will NEVER forget!

Congratulations Jake! So glad to hear you had an exceptional first outing - grand slam. Always a blast fishing

the spring creeks. Does not take much either. Pole, worm, split

shot. Try spinners, plastics, fly fishing. So many ways to fool

a trout.

Awesome job Jake.. i tried getting a hold of you on Saturday... but my phone was all messed up.. and i barely got any reception in the beaver creek area.. left early because i was sick.. glad you were able to get into a bunch of trout though