• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fall Hunting Reports....

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I would have spread the word more but I'm still lacking alot of cell numbers from my wader incident still. I can tell you getting the call from Jay in the Stand after he smoked it I was excited for him. I will see more pics of this beauty when I get home. Congratulations again Jay it's one helluva buck!

Jay that is a great buck!!! Now that's what I'm talking about when I say let the smaller ones walk so you can pull the trigger on a bruiser. It's awsome to play the game of cat and mouse with a mature deer (buck or doe). Congrats!!!

Also on another note my buddy Mike just pulled the trigger with his muzzleloader on an Awsome 18 point non-typical, I will post the pictures later.

I'm just hoping to see a deer this weekend... LOL

Doug, I'll email you my number in a few.

Thanks all!!!

Todd - Yep he's going on the wall. I actually was leaning against a full mount at first and would just put the rack on a plack. Then the more we got looking at him and you realize for where we live deer like this are not an every year experience. This was my 20th year hunting and I was lucky enough to get a 10 pt that was a tad bigger...

Plus our bear mounts, Tanks 3 mounts, and my 10pt need some more company. cool

I will post the AW Hotel status up here in a while. I need to finalize a few phone calls and sleeping arrangements.

Lee...I got your #'s, thanks. You Muzzleload as well...correct? So, you will have quite a few hunts if you still want. So far...Kyle, Franky and Al (Lee?) will be hunting Sat. morning. Sammy will be hunting Sunday.

I talked to the 2 landowners that we will be hunting and Alan has been playing hide and seek with a typical 16pt. bouncing around the area with a few other "Nice Shooters". If we blanket the area and sit tight...then push a few sections...we may get more than a Flathead or 2 wink

Doug,

I'm in for Saturday but my buddy wants to hunt also with his wife, he basically will sit with her and talk her through shooting one. (I was the one helping her on opening day and the first weekend) He already put a nice buck down with the gun so his efforts are now towards her, I told him I would ask but can't make promises. They are good people and I think you would get along them great, either way I'm in this Saturday. Send me your address @ [email protected]

I need some input here!! This past Sunday morning, a buddy of mine makes a shot on a big doe at about 60 yds going from left to right. Says she stumbles real bad then kinda ran stiff legged for a bit and stopped. Says it looked like she was favorin her right front shoulder and kinda weavin back and forth while standin there. Sounds like a great shot right? I show up 10 min later he fills me in on the situation. we find the spot she was standin and sure enough, bit of hair, and blood spray. We stand and [PoorWordUsage] quietly for about half hour then take up the trail quietly. looks like a blood highway. Ive never seen a blood trail like this before. Looks like someones got an air brush with blood in it sprayin it all over the place. like a real fine mist, but enough of it to give a great trail. A few spots look like the blood is just drizzlein out of her in a spiral motion again in this misty kinda way. To give you an idea of how bad shes bleeding, were trailin thru mature hardwoods with snow on the ground. We cold see the trail 50-60yds infront of us. Tons of blood.. Im thinkin shes gotta be just over the next little knob. (WRONG).. The way it looks were thinkin gotta be a lung hit, every time shes breathin its sprayin out like (an air brush). Have any of you guys seen this type of blood trail? What type of hit would cause this kind of sign? Thanks for your input on this.

I would say lung shot as well from what you describe Callie, but now that I said that your going to tell either I'm wrong or you never found the doe. Or it might be a lower brisket shot with no vitals hit, I had it happen once,trailed that crazy doe for almost a mile. She was almost all bled out when I found her and she was still alive honest. Their will to live is unbelievable. Sorry so long.

Sometimes things happen that you cannot explain. Anyone who hunted for many years will tell strories of the one that got away and should not have. The hit was probably a liver shot and could take 24 hrs beore it expires.

Calli - Its hard to say but i'd guess he nipped the liver and maybe just a tiny bit of the lung while getting some shoulder? Tanks thinking the liver was involved because they will act and walk iffy when hit there, sometimes hunching up and walking real slow. The favoring one leg makes me think a shoulder was involved. And the spray sounds like one lung was nicked or an artery just barely severed. They can go a long way on one lung.

Or we can all be wrong. They are amazing animals...

Thanks for the input. The blood was not real dark but was good looking blood. No evidence of gut. After finding a blood soaked bed we let her go over night. Monday am I went back in and lost blood about 150 yds from the bloody bed. Following all the major trails for what seemed an eternity, I grudgingly summized that somehow this deer did not give in. So I did many more circles and body searches that covered several houndred yds in all directions. But no I couldnt find her. I am distraught over the fact that I know she has to be dead with the amount of blood she lost, But I cant locate her. I realize she isnt edible anymore but I wish I could at least find the carcass with hopes of learning about the hit..