• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Frustrated

tmvikings

This is my first year bow hunting after several years hunting with slugs. After the last two nights I need to vent a little bit. I have been out bow hunting on public land and since Duck hunting started the place is a mess. Wednesday people were jumping the pond that’s on that land left and right. One of the shots seemed really close then a second later I heard the bb’s hit the treetops to my left, I could not see the pond because of a hill. Tonight I get out everything is going great the sun just set on the hill and I am feeling good about seeing some deer when out of the corner of my eye I see a dark flash and it turned out to be a dog then another and then another one followed by a couple. Worst part being only one of the dogs looked to be a hunting dog, maybe. So I wait till they see me and the guy yells out sorry, so now I am thinking great they will turn around and walk back the way they came and let me continue my hunt but I was wrong they kept going right in front of me and then behind me though the rest of the property. Talk about no respect I would of walked back out the way I came especially since they already had a long walk before they got to me. Another point- they saw my truck they had to be looking for someone and with the time of day know it would be a bow hunter. As soon as Pheasant starts that’s it for my bow hunting unless some one lets me hunt their private land- PLEASE PLEASE

Hunting state land can be tough at times. Your best bet as you realize is to hit the gravel and start asking landowners permission.

There are many good public areas for bow hunting in the Henderson area along the river valley that you could hunt with less issues.

Yes hunting public can seem troublesome at times, but if it holds deer and you have no other options it's time to find the deer's hidey hole or escape routes and hunt those area's. The more often and longer you hunt an area the better you can get at figuring out not only the "how" but the "where" and the "why". Stick it out and piece the puzzle together.

That's a bummer man but you have to be prepared for anything on public land. Conversely, you were sitting where that guy was hunting. It's about sharing and being okay and prepared to share. If that guy would've kicked some deer to you it would've sat a little different I bet. I'm just saying that hunting public land provides different opportunities to fail or succeed. If you don't like that different set of challenges I'd look elsewhere. If it means you have to travel further and can't go as often, isn't that still better than hanging it up? Maybe just lay off it and hunt hard in the late season when everyone else is done. Late season can be pretty magical. If you want to hunt private property I wouldn't rule it out but if you get a jump on it in the spring you'll be set for next season. Good luck.

I feel for you - I bet I know exactly where you are hunting and I agree with everything you said. I hunt in a similar place (probably the same place) and my sightings have plummeted recently.

It is 100% possible to take deer in such a situation and I'll give you a tip to help you out - don't hunt where they want to be, hunt as close as possible to where they are in that situation. With that kind of pressure, they will not show face until dusk - so you better get out of the food supply and onto the trail near bedding.

Also, people are lazy and won't walk into the thick stuff thats more than 1/4 mile from their car.

Happens, had a nice buck coming in last year following the edge between teh cornfield and the woods. A guy down below lets off a barrage of .22 shots, deer jumps back in the woods, and eventually walks away. Too bad, but it goes with the territory. Somedays you win, somedays you lose.

This can be a problem when hunting public land. As stated, keep looking for another areas to hunt, and you may want to sit back to see if you can use these guys to your advantage.(i.e. ) Assuming they are pushing the deer some where else, maybe you can use this. Are the guys there all day, or mornings and evenings? Possibly a mid day hunt. Above ALL!! Be SAFE!

hay tm i feel for yea what i have done is go to google earth,look up were u are hunting look up and see how big the area u are hunting after u fig out how big it is i would hike back as far as u can go set up early i usualy go befor light then hang out all day then when thows people start coming in thay will start pushing thows deer out of the area.. good luck

tmvikings sometime you just have to make the best of it. One time I was bowhunting and has pretty much the same thing happen, a couple was out for a walk with their dog. They see me and I wave, they wave back and I am hoping they move along - then another couple shows up out of nowhere and they are both 40 yards away chit chatting for 15-20 minutes. There is only an hour of shooting light left so I held my ground, finally both couples move off and sure enough they made a little drive for me. Chased a young buck right to me, I let him go but if it would have been a doe or a mature buck it would have been an easy shot. About 15 minutes later they chased a doe to me, she was out of range but sometimes those people can help you out. Other times it doesn't work out but about 50% of the time I see deer after someone walks by so I usually get ready.

One more thing to add, if this is a place the is frequented by people, the deer DO become accustomed to it, and will often just lope a little ways away and then come back out. I see this on the farm all the time. Tractor goes by, deer go in the woods, on the next pass, their they are again, this repeats over and over. When I lived in the city, the deer on the walking paths would just move about 50 yards away, and watch us, they never spooked or anything. Often times, we would see the same deer on the way back. Don't give up on it. Even the big bucks know who is, who isn't a danger to them.

sorry to hear that, thats the thing with public land, the thing you gotta remember is just becaues your truck is there that doesnt mean he knows your hunting for deer, he may have thought you were bird hunting to, last week i went out to a spot truck was already there but he was hunting duck not deer, just gotta find the spots no one else goes they are there just takes time dont give up public land

Sometimes public land hunting can be a drag. Sometimes it can be down right dangerous. I always make sure I have some blaze with me when bow hunting. I have to tell myself that this is everyones resouce. We all utilize these resources differently and have differing opinions on hunter ethics. I have found that if I can avoid sweating the small stuff my time in the woods stays enjoyable. I also think that a hunt that ends in a successful harvest it is that much sweeter knowing that despite the pressure I was fortunate enough to put my skills to the test.

Enjoy the outdoors! Lets work together to make sure it is safe. The more we fight eachother the more antihunters are whittling away at us utilizing the resource for hunting.