• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Staying warm

GFNER

There are 3 ways to stay warm during the late season.

1. Stay home

2. A heated enclosed stand

3. A Heater Body Suit (or some modified sleeping bags)

There is not a piece of "low bulk" clothing capable of keeping an inactive body warm during late season, for any amount of time.

If you are out there walking through the woods during late season any thinsulate or equivalent will be sufficent.

I'll second the vote for the cold gear, what the cold gear does for me is a thin insulating layer that is tight to the skin-so low bulk and second wicks sweat from me when I walk to my stand so when I get up there the sweat doesn't cool me off. I always use it in addition to my polar fleece long underwear, I may look at the UA 3.0 baselayers, heard some good stuff about that.

b-man, have you tried the Heater Body suit? Is it worth the $$$$? Is it very easy to slip it off and shoot?

Don't forget good boots, a warm hat, and chemical hand warmers - I buy them by the gross and use a couple every time out.

b-man, have you tried the Heater Body suit? Is it worth the $$$$? Is it very easy to slip it off and shoot?

This year will be my 4th season with the heater body suit.

It has been the best investment I have ever made towards deer hunting; period. Nothing else on the planet will allow you to hunt longer, harder and see/kill more deer than this goofy looking suit!

As for opening it up to shoot, it is very easy and quiet. Obviously it takes some movement to stand up and open it then grab your weapon. So while archery hunting you will want to be out of the suit before the animal is in bow range. Generally this is not a problem, because when you are wearing the suit there are not any leaves on the trees to obstruct your view of deer moving towards you.

You also have to be somewhat agile to be able to climb into the suit while in a portable stand. If your the type of guy who can't scratch your own back or see your own feet, I wouldn't recommend hunting in an elevated position with it.

I too was a little shocked when I first saw the price tag. They go for about $300. Now before everybody gets all excited about it, compare it to buying a nice pair of bibs and a jacket. Many guys don't bat an eye at spending that amount for some nice outerwear.

And on the same note, what good is that $800 rifle or bow doing you if you wimp out of your stand after a couple hours???????

When I bought my suit I was skeptical to say the least. It takes some getting used to, no doubt. But when you are on that muzzeloader hunt and kill a buck after 8 hours of being on stand in 5 degree weather, something will click. You will wonder how you ever lived without it.

And the suit is not just for hunting when its 10 degrees out (or -25). Even a damp 40 degree day can make any length of time on stand uncomfortable. With the suit you wear enough clothing to stay warm while walking to your stand (not layers and layers making you sweat your A$$ like you have been). A day like today for example, you would only need a sweat shirt or light jacket with regular pants and boots. When it is -15 degrees below 0, you will wear long underwear, pants, shirt and your insulated outerwear along with pac boots.

I am not salesman for them, just an extremely satisfied customer. A good friend of mine thought I was nuts for buying one. Now last year he bought one and loves it!

It is not a gimic, it is the real deal. Combine it with a Lone Wolf or Summit climber and you have yourself a heated stand that you can take anywhere any time and for about $600 together.

How much does it cost to build a big heated box stand, that never moves, and the deer learn to avoid like the plague.................????????

Buy a suit, use it, kill deer, and thank me later.

They offer a 3 month money back, no questions asked guarantee.(perfect amount of time to prove it's value)

You have nothing to lose and many comfortable hours in your stand to gain.

With a good combination of layers and chemical handwarmers I have lasted through all days sits in -15 weather. Its not alwasy fun but if you are determined you can do it.

Good review of the Heater Body Suite B-man715, I don't doubt that they work I just don't like the idea of having to climb out of the suite to take a shot, just like enclosed heated deer stands, if you use them long enough they will cost your an opportunity at a buck. I spend a lot of time hunting extremely thick woods in the North and sometimes you only get a few seconds a season to make a shot on a mature buck. I don't want to miss a chance because I am pulling a suite off or trying to open a window.

Hey Bear55,

It's not as bad as it sounds. You don't really climb out, you just open it. You can also open the suit as you stand up. Going from sitting in comfort to full draw in a few seconds.

You are a great candidate for this product.

Give it a whirl! Plus you won't have to buy handwarmers anymore smile

You might be right B-man, and I see it even comes in Predator camo, one of my fav's. Is the material noisy? I generally use only wool or fleece while bowhunting.

Maybe some day I will give it a try, the price is a little steep but considering what I have invested in all my other hunting gear its a drop in the bucket.

I have had great luck with my Arctic Armour camo suit while hunting the colder days. Its very quiet and one can also use it for so many other outdoor activities. I can shoot with it on and keeps me plenty toasty. One might need to carry it to your stand or at a minimum, unzip the jacket as you will heat up from walking in. I also have a heavy wool sweater that I wear for bow hunting and ice fishing. If I wear that along with my under armour, no need for a jacket down to about 10 degrees. This sweater is the cats meow for warmth. Runs about $125.00 but well worth it.

While gun hunting I sit in a well heated box stand. Never had an issue yet with whacking a deer. Its painted camo and set against the tree line and they will walk right by and under it.

The heated stands to me are the way to go with gun hunting. One can stay very warm, bring your lunch and take a nap if you want also. I have had others in it with me and played cards while watching a open field for deer.

While gun hunting I sit in a well heated box stand. Never had an issue yet with whacking a deer. Its painted camo and set against the tree line and they will walk right by and under it.

The heated stands to me are the way to go with gun hunting. One can stay very warm, bring your lunch and take a nap if you want also. I have had others in it with me and played cards while watching a open field for deer.

Harvey

Depending on your setup and terrain you might not have a problem getting a shot off, but you have to admit if you have to move fast opening a window to shoot is certainly going to slow you down.

Where I hunt the wood are ultra thick so I might only have a second or two to get ready for a shot and the deer might be gone. One time I was ready, gun on a steady rest with the safty off and I still couldn't get a shot off. The buck had his nose down, probably on the trail of a hot doe and was moving fast. He didn't come out where I expected him to and a split second later he was gone.

I wear my Camo Arctic armor and stay pretty cozy..

I second the AA gear. All winter it is my personal sized portable ice house. It keeps me warm in the middle of an ice covered, windy lake in January and February. Water proof and it floats if you're ever crossing ice to get to your stand.

Originally Posted By: harvey lee

Harvey

Depending on your setup and terrain you might not have a problem getting a shot off, but you have to admit if you have to move fast opening a window to shoot is certainly going to slow you down.

Where I hunt the wood are ultra thick so I might only have a second or two to get ready for a shot and the deer might be gone. One time I was ready, gun on a steady rest with the safty off and I still couldn't get a shot off. The buck had his nose down, probably on the trail of a hot doe and was moving fast. He didn't come out where I expected him to and a split second later he was gone.

I typically have one main window open and can see the seer coming from any direction from a long ways away. Many times I sit with the gun barrel out the window ready to shoot.

Now in the deep of the woods with a buck running, that may be a different story.

I'm lucky enough with the set up I have that that cannot happen to me.

Just bought the Under Armour Cold Gear, can't wait to use it. Does that stuff keep a person really warm or should I wear my Wool pants this weekend as well? I was thinking the under armour and my cotton hunting pants would be enough, what do you guys think?

Thanks

I love the under armour cold gear. It always goes with me into the woods. I have two layers for sitting in the cold. I have a pair of carhart fleece lined jeans that I wear during the 3b season in the afternoon, in the morning, I throw on my heavy wool bibs over the jeans. I have worn this when out coyote hunting and the temps hovering at -15. Polar fleece is great, but you need a wind barrier to keep the heat in.....I have a cabela's berber fleece coat with the wind blocker in it that keeps me warmer than my polar fleece lined carhart coat that weighs 10 pounds......

I naturally have cold feet, took me 5 years to ask my wife to marry me, so I have been using the under armour socks with liner socks, and they work pretty well too.

I have a pretty good stockpile of hand warmers too, I use them at work for those really cold mornings playing soccer with kids at school

heated stands? might as well sit in your kitchen over a bait pile...

as far as staying warm, i personally dislike Cold Gear - get really clammy in it. Maybe if there's a base wicking layer under it, but I wouldn't use it next to your skin. Wore it playing football in cold weather and it was great, but i didnt like it for deer hunting the last 2 years