• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

buying a new bow

hey all looking to purchase a new bow in the next few weeks. Looking for any advice. I am willing to drop the hammer on a top of the line bow but before I spend a grand I want to make sure I am buying the right bow. I have shot the bowtech admiral as well as the mathews monster and reezon. They all felt good in my hands and the draw and shooting was smooth. The bowtech was a bit smoother than the others but the salesman said the slower speed of the admiral would hurt me in hunting situations. Just wondering if any of you have any of these bows and if there is anything i need to look out for.

So speeds what kills the animals? No matter how fast your equipment is if it is not quiet and if you can not pick a spot you aint killing anything anyway.

While all of those are excellent top of the line bows, after shooting all of them I would go with the Reezen because of its speed, accuracy and efficiency. Not being a fan boy here but Matthews is also a great company that offers lots of warranty work

Shoot what feels good and you can shoot well. Bow shops would be crazy right now in this economy not to let you put sights and a rest on every bow in the shop and let you shoot them till you find the one you like. With a faster bow it just means your arrow will hit the dirt faster when you miss, slower speed will not hurt you in a hunting situation unless you plan on shooting your animals at greater distance and I can count on two fingers how many deer out of the 60+ animals I have harvested that were over 18 yards. After geting this out of the way I will say I own two bowtechs and a diamond and love them all. On my hunting bows I lean towards a heavier slower arrow I don't care about speed I want penatration this is for the shot that none want but happens to most when the arrow strikes the front shoulder I never want it to happen but it will happen to most and I know my 420 grain arrow traveling at 280 fps will get the job done with a sturdy sharp broadhead. Speed in a hunting bow in this state will not matter as much as accuracy most animals are harvested under 15 yards with archery equipment.

You gotta get what feels good to you not what your dealer says is good for you. If you feel more comfortable shooting the bowtech than any other bow than thats your clear choice. Im not sure what reezen model or monster model your looking at but IMO opinion I dont like either monster model just because of the low brace height, I think one is 5" and the other is 6", I would take the extra inch or 2 in brace height over the extra speed any day. Just shoot as many bows as you can and get the one that feels the best, speed should be one of the last things that drives your decision. Lets us know what one you go with.

My .02. Don't get sucked into the "speed" game all to fast. There all fast bows if you want to shoot at max poundage but the reality is when its 10 degrees in December and your freezing your marbles off 70lbs is like trying to pull and oak tree over in half. I would recomend feel, axle-axle, weight, quietness over speed any day and if you can honestly tell me that 290fps isn't fast than stick to a rifle. Most deer will not see it coming or have a chance at those speeds....bowtech all the way!

mr

(again my .02)

I agree with everyone that says pick the bow that feel comfortable to you. I get a kick out of the "speed kills" ploy. Granted a faster bow will generally have a flatter trajectory and possibly give you a little room for yardage judgement errors it makes little difference if you miss your target. What truly kills is having an arrow of sufficient weight to penetrate properly, especially on longer shots, and razor sharp broadheads.

And the best thing you can do is shoot a bow that you are comfortable shooting and practice, practice, practice. Practice shooting sitting, standing, knealing, twisted around in awkward positions, you never know where a Deer might pop out.

As I alway say to people, speed makes no difference if you miss;)

I have shot a Mathews bow for many years and have been happy. Pick the bow that fits you best and you are very comfortable shooting.

I would not get hung up on a certain brand or the speed as much as one that fits well.

I shot a older bow for years that was really almost out of date. It was an older PSE bow and up until the day I gave it to my son to start out with, it had shot many, many deer. The speed is nice but it is not everything.

Its been said a million times but practice is key and thats what will harvest you your deer along with learning some archery skills.

Keep asking those questions as there are many here that are more than willing to help answer any question you may have.

Happy hunting.

I would check out the Hoyt Alphamax. I also bought a new bow this year and I shot every flagship bow that bowtech, Ross, Mathews and Hoyt had out. In the end, by far the alphamax fit me better. FYI, the monster should be packaged with a mouthguard it vibrates so much.

the thing I dont get is all the talk of speed. in my opinion some of these bows are to fast especially if the amount of time you spend at the range is limited. it takes a lot of practice to shoot a super fast bow. sure you dont have to be as accurate with your yardage but fast bows are so unforgiving that it doesnt take much in the way poor shooting form to throw your arrow way off course. in my opinion stay with a bow that has atleast 6.5" brace height at least 30" axle to axle and just feels good in your hands you will have much more fun shooting this type of set-up than a bow that has a short brace height and is not very forgiving..

'The bowtech was a bit smoother than the others but the salesman said the slower speed of the admiral would hurt me in hunting situations ' sounds like you were at archery country in st. cloud they push mathews way to hard. but i love my DXT !

Don't let archery country work on your bows. I can not take the sights off one of mine unless I send it to a machine shop to get the stripped allen bolt drilled out and re-tap the riser I wouldn't have said to much if they told me but it wasn't till I drove the hour home that I noticed it. By the way bowtech makes other models then the admrial. I have the allgence,general and a diamond marquis. And for a smooth fast bow try the marquis it is thier speed bow but is is as smooth as a babies bottom.