• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dead stick tip

croixflats

Maybe you all have these but I'll put it out there.

-

The Bite buzzer- I picked up a couple of these for ice fishing boy do they ever work slick for a dead stick. They fit on your rod and you can set the sensitivity to them.

I usually have used glue sticks for catting but I think these would work great. I don't know how well they would work in a boat as the boat rocks and puts tension on the line and may set the alarm off but one may be able to set the sensitivity to compensate. Or one could use both buzzer and gloe stick in tandem.

-

1.jpg

bass.jpg

I think they MIGHT be ok for channel cats, but the problem I see is with live bait. I like my live bait rig to be lively, and by lively I mean I like seeing my rod tip move constantly, sometimes on the order of several inches and if the bait is lively enough, I'll wonder if a flathead has hit him several times just because he gets antsy. I don't see these working well on a live bait rig like that.

I used those cheap jingle bells last summer while bank fishing for channels up here on the Red. They worked great, but you still had to keep a key eye on the rods. Came within inches to losing rods on more than one occasion. A slow, subtle bite wouldn't register. Those buzzers look like the bee's knees. Might have to try one out. Where'd you find them?

Exactly how sensitive are they? Do you think they would get set off by a current? I've only been chasing channels for a few years and have been looking for some type of alarm, and this looks pretty sweet.

If your looking for a good fish alarm and use open face reels look for a shimano bait runner they have built in adjustable secondary drag type knob for the bait runner function

its really slick ive been using one for 2 seasons now and i love it. the little knob on the bottom works with a leveler on the lower end of the reel. you can set the tention from where the wind will take strip your line to where live bait in the river wont move it but a large cat will have it zinging without a lose of a rod. then its either a flip of the switch or just real and the reel is engaged.big reel too i got the 3500 and it holds 305 yards of 8 # dia, 230 of 12, or 185 of 14.

We started using the bells and glow sticks late last season...worked well but had to stay pretty close to the rod. I know my buddy just bought something similar to the buzzers mentioned above. I'll try to keep you posted on how successful/convenient the gizmo is compared to bells.

Nothing like hearing the clicker in your dreams on the river...

We tried "the next best thing" every season in bite detection until we started using Strike Sensors acouple years back; something alot of you fellows I am sure have for tip-ups, ect. They work great and hold up to all the weather you can throw at them. Be it in the boat or up the bank at the campfire having that pager in your shirt pocket should alert you. The alert light on the sending unit comes in real handy as well seeing which one tripped(Works especially well when you cannot hear the pager over the stereo wink)

As far as tuning the setup thats where the rubberband and loop length come in. Set the tension as light as you want or not, depending on current and/or size of bait; "ghost bites" are very rare if at all.

PICT0042-1-1.jpg

PICT0001-1.jpg

WOW - I like that Stirke Sensor setup. I've got 4 of them. I've always been going to hook them up for my boat for catting but never got around to it. I love your setup - that would work perfect on my pontoon. I could really take a nap now and know the Strike Sensor would wake me up. Did you fabricate the arm bracket or did you buy that somewhere? Could you post a pic of the arm bracket itself? I would really appreciate that.

Great Post for me - Thanks.

Steve

Napping on a pontoon; Steve your enforcing the cliche of lazy fishermen wink. Glad you like the idea and it'll work great on your pontoon! Bonus you'll be able to hear a bite over Twins crowd cheering, and John Gordons voice grin.

Nothing special about arm/bracket that supports the sensor, my fishing buddy came up with that idea over at his moms looking at her bird feeder. They are actually bent poles that support a feeder. If you look closely at 1st picture the neat thing about it is the adjustable positioning; wherever you position the rod holder the strike sensor can be positioned accordingly.

I used those cheap jingle bells last summer while bank fishing for channels up here on the Red. They worked great, but you still had to keep a key eye on the rods. Came within inches to losing rods on more than one occasion. A slow, subtle bite wouldn't register. Those buzzers look like the bee's knees. Might have to try one out. Where'd you find them?
I got mine at sportsman's went back for more but all gone. You can also get them off the internet just google bite buzzer. $10

These can be very sensative to the point of touch or adjusted to the point of pulling on line to set it off. And they dont interfear with realing one bit.

One thing I am concered of and how well they work if damp or wet