Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tacklejunkie

reef runner vs rapalas

19 posts in this topic

My dad like the original floater and we would catch fish when I was a kid. When I got a boat the shad raps were coming out about that time and caught fish. From then on they keep coming out with more and I keep getting and using. I realy haven't used the reef runner. A neither I liked alot when I was young was a lure by Bomber the they make anymore can't remeber the name.

Im have not gotten into trolling cranks that much but ive heard reef runners work better later in the summer thru the fall because the wobble is wider. spring a more suttle wobble like some of the rapalas is better... Maybe someone else could get more specific id sure like to know

It depends on what type of fishing I'm doing. Reef Runners for deep Fishing. I just like how they work. Then for the shallow depths 10 or less feet I like to use the Shap Raps or husky jerk-baits!

I like them both.

If you're comparing Reef Runners to Rapalas the closest rap is the Down Deep Tail Dancer, but I also catch fish on Deep Husky jerk-baits at the same time Reef Runners are going.

I use both...and many other plug brands also.

I have noticed that the deep RR are very sensitive in tuning.

I agree...very sensitive. And the percentage of out-of-the box reef runners that will run straight is quite low. But, once tuned properly, I've caught many a nice walleye on them.

Kinda a stupid question, I have had problems tuning them in, it seems like what ever i do it makes it worse what is the best way to dail one in?

I like them both as well. I probably lean a bit more twards RR. However, there time I am shallow 5-6 ft. Then I only use fll's. Otherwise I try to alternate between RR, Deep Husky jerk-baits and Shad Raps.

Hot Spot, take the reef runner you are looking to run, and run out 10-15' of line at the speeds you are going to be trolling at and watch the way that it runs and do the tweaking from there. A tweak is a small bend to the eyelet that you attach your line to, if you bend it the wrong direction the lure will washout more if you bend it the right direction it will start to run true. Some lures washout or track to the side with higher speeds and or current while others will run true. You should always check the way a bait runs at the intended speed at which you will be trolling at. Tuning is much easier to do in the daylight then at night. Sometimes I have found that lures with a split ring run better tied direct to the plug after the split ring is removed but this will also decrease the amount of wobble of the intended lure. Another thing is to tie your line to the area of the split ring where the two ends meet or you may get a plug that runs wild that is difficult to tune due to the inconsistent surface of the split ring. Hope this helps!

Tunrevir~

Tunrevir~

Thanks for the info I am thinking I no what u mean. Typically I run / cast raps from 2 to 12 ft. To be honest I only have probally 4 or 5 Reef Runners. But if a Rap is running to the right do I tweak it to the right? and that would be if the front of the rap is facing you. And do u just twist the O Ring thats on the bill of the rap that you tie your line to?

Thanks for the help

"Move in the direction of the correction"

If it's running to the left, you move the eyelet to the right and vice versa. Just look at it from the same direction in the water as when you are working on it. Once you do it once you will have it down. I would also recommend cranking up the speed too 4+ mph once you have tuned the bait, just to make sure it wont blow out at a little high speed, like when you pump the rod or make a tight turn.

I'm a Rapala guy, but they each have their time as place, overall though Rapala offers more selection in lures to cover a wider variety of fishing. For only deep water, 20'+ I would take the Reef Runners though.

It depends on forage and time of year. I have oodles of both. I use the raps more often but I am mainly fishing a shad based forage so it is no secret the shadraps out produce. There are a couple times of year RR's out produce though. Buy a bunch of both and experiment.

Research the lake you are going to and match the hatch. For most lakes and rivers I fish there are only 2 or 3 patterns I use. One is always Firetiger wink

mw

when water clairity is an issue I go with the RR's but only after the water temps are up and fish are willing to chase hard.

Raps tend to be more subtle and life like and work better in cool water conditions and very clear water it seems.

I also use RR's on bigger bodys of water to call farther out, Lake Superoir, Mille Lacs, Leech and so on.

I like the RR's for night tolling as well but get shallow ripsticks for that.

Reef Runners do run deeper that Raps.

I still like the tail dancers for getting down in the deep water. They have some awesome color patterns.

I prefer Rapalas over Reef Runners because they generally require less tuning and better match the forage bases of the lakes I fish.

Each works great at different times. I always have a ton of sticks/cranks with because I never know what the fish will want from day to day.