• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2009 Catfish Tackle Discussion

MinnesnowtaWild

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well…. The door bell rang and a brown truck was at my front door to bring me my new toy.

The Abu 6500CP Rocket. I like the engraving. It has a nice feel and I can’t wait to use it.

It’s mounted on the soon the unveiled 8’MH (100% graphite) Minnesota Flathead Rod.

IMG_2434.jpg

So any of you guys have the Okuma Avenger series reels? I decided to spend a little more buck and go with these over the Shakespeare Alpha reels.

My question is which size should I go with? I saw the AV-65 at Cabela's and it looked larger than I expected. So I was thinking about getting the AV-55 instead but seems like there is a large gap between the two models. I will be using this reel for Carp and Channels, but may use it on occasion for Flatheads as well. I plan to put 25 or 30 lb. Berkely Big Game mono on it. This will be on a 8' Creekside "Catfish" MH fiberglass rod.

Specs for each:

AV-55 - 4.5:1 ratio & 240yd/15# 14.5 oz ($35)

AV-65 - 4.5:1 ratio & 205yd/20# 25.3 oz ($42)

AV-80 - 4.5:1 ratio & 220yd/25# 26.7 oz ($42)

After looking at the Okuma HSOforum it looks like the weight they have listed is different than Catfish Connection. The 65 and 80 are listed as just barely over 20 oz.

I'm thinking the AV-55 may be too small to hold much 30 lb. mono and the AV-65 just seems plain old too bulky. The 55 would probably be okay since it comes with a spare spool I could load up just in case I run out of line, but will it be strong enough to handle a larger Flathead if I do run into one with it?

Are those the spinning reel series??? If so you should try the bait feeder reels made by them....i believe its ABF-50 and up not sure of this years model number...that's where its at....i bought one last year and used it over my new abu garcia...although this year i'm going all out and ordering the pro rocket on catfishconnect and the new E-Cat rod...i think 4 cat rigs should suffice me for the year confused

The (1) spinning reel I do have is an Okuma Epixor EB-50. The overall size of the reel is just right for cattin' and matches up well with our larger cat rods. I've handled an EB-65 before and that reel is a weee bit large IMO. Shoot for something that compares in size to the Epixor EB-50 and you'll be good. You should be able to compare line capicity and weight of the models.

Heck... here you go:

Avenger AV-55 ($34.50 @ CC)

4.5:1 Ratio

6 ball bearings

240 yards/15lb mono

14.5 oz

Avenger ABF-50 "Bait Feeder" ($41.95 @ CC)

6 ball bearings

280 yards/15lb mono

17.5 oz

Epixor EB-50 "Bait Feeder" ($68.95 @ CC)

9 ball bearings

250 yards/15lb mono

17.4 oz

I know you are talking about the Avenger AV-55 but you'll really want to spend the extra $8 and get the "Bait Feeder" option that the Avenger ABF-50 has. I don't think you need a spinning reel any bigger than the ones I mentioned above.

I have the Okuma Avenger 50 and 40 bait feeder. The 50 is a big reel and works great for Flats I just picked up the 40 last week and will be using it for channels. If you want a good all around reel the 50 would be the way to go. I have the 50 on a Berkley 8'med/hvy glowstick and the 40 on a 7'med white e-glass rod.

The (1) spinning reel I do have is an Okuma Epixor EB-50. The overall size of the reel is just right for cattin' and matches up well with our larger cat rods. I've handled an EB-65 before and that reel is a weee bit large IMO. Shoot for something that compares in size to the Epixor EB-50 and you'll be good. You should be able to compare line capicity and weight of the models.

Heck... here you go:

Avenger AV-55 ($34.50 @ CC)

6 ball bearings

240 yards/15lb mono

14.5 oz

Avenger ABF-50 "Bait Feeder" ($41.95 @ CC)

6 ball bearings

280 yards/15lb mono

17.5 oz

Epixor EB-50 "Bait Feeder" ($68.95 @ CC)

9 ball bearings

250 yards/15lb mono

17.4 oz

I know you are talking about the Avenger AV-55 but you'll really want to spend the extra $8 and get the "Bait Feeder" option that the Avenger ABF-50 has. I don't think you need a spinning reel any bigger than the ones I mentioned above.

Just curious what the ABF-50 "Bait Feeder" feature is. Looks like this is in my price range and the correct size for what I need just not sure what this feature will do for me.