• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2009 Catfish Tackle Discussion

MinnesnowtaWild

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Backwater Eddy's" Tips on box's for weights, and Catfish Tackle box.

Sturdy Marine Dry Box style containers work excellent for heavy bulk weights. I sort them by size and store them in the small plastic coffee cans in the lower section. I can add Plano boxes on top yet for smaller terminal tackle need like bulk swivels, tubing, beads, float stops, hook files, ect.ect.

3673506C.jpg

They store well in boat compartments and tend to last longer then most light duty plastic tray units. A box of Kitty weights will make short work of most flat Plano style tackle treys, bust them up bad in 1 season or less just from road bouncing to and from the water or bouncing on the water.

Flambeau offers a new dry box the 1499 ZeRust Marine Box with ZeRust protection, I'm a fan of this system, and use exclusively the ZeRust tackle trays now. No rust, no worries.

1499_zdrybox.jpg

Anyone think I got enough Catfish stuff? LOL

Nice!

You have more sinkers? I'd keep 5-10 minimum of 3-4 ouncers with me. If you don't need them, you're buddies well. Least thats my experience.

Great idea Ed on those boxes, I think I need to pick up a couple of those. Like you said, I’ve gone through more than my fair share of the cheap plastic boxes. I really like the compact design of those. Very similar to the ammo boxes that WWG uses for his sinkers.

Originally Posted By: MinnesnowtaWild
Anyone think I got enough Catfish stuff? LOL

Nice!

You have more sinkers? I'd keep 5-10 minimum of 3-4 ouncers with me. If you don't need them, you're buddies well. Least thats my experience.

And for as much as this stuff cost sometimes I might have to start charging then for losing them. MNwild very nice tackle box

if they are part of a lure you can.., like if its connected to a spinner of some type etc.. the regulations say

Anglers may use only one hook. An artificial lure is considered one

hook. A treble hook, when not part of an artificial lure, is considered three hooks and is not legal.

I never have them in my possession or use them unless they are on a lure. i had them in there over the winter and brought out my box to dig through it just the other day.. i didn't realize they were in there until it got brought up here just a bit ago.. haha believe me, i wouldn't be on the water with them! smile

You are correct, just wondering what you used them for.

It would be hard to explain to a CO if you were to use a little #12 spinner on a 4/0 treble.

If you think you get a lot of snags using no-rools and "j" hooks, try a treble on the MN river. you would be lucky to get it back at all.

Originally Posted By: uppdacreek
Quote:
you would be lucky to get it back at all.

Aircraft cable, a 4/0 treble and a winch will bring anything back to the boat.......DUH!!!!!

Or bring the boat back to anything smile

CF-

So when are we puttin that winch on your boat shocked

Technically you can turn a treble hook into a legal lure by installing just a bead on the line, but I personal do not see any advantage using a treble hook over the many great options of hooks available.

If there was, everyone would be using them in some fashion, but they are not wink Plus you have the mess they bring when the fish swallows them and I assume that is part of the reason the individual treble hook is outlawed in MN.

So while at gander today I found these new hooks well I think they are new. Has anyone used these Gamakatsu BIG RIVER BAIT 10/0. They look like they could be pretty sweet. The only thing that may be a down side is that they are a larger gauge. Looks like you are going to have to set that sh*t hard to pierce the mouth.