• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good Fillet Knife's?

dberl09

Harvey, I completley agree! I have used leech lake, and they are nice, but comes in second to Cutco. The blade is adjustable from 6" to 9", and comes out of the handle for easy cleaning. It holds and edge like no knife I have ever owned. They are spendy but worth it. Just my two cents.

Mister Twister Electric...!!! Does the job and is way quicker than even some of the old timers ive paired up against that have all the experience of traditional knifes! But i still say get what you are most comfortable with...

I know you had said that you need more practice with an electric.

Buy one, any brand, and get used to it. I filleted fish manually for about 10 years, and switched to an electric about 8 years ago. I will never clean a fish with a regular knife again (unless I don't have power). In this short life we are all looking for more time, and once you have cleaned a couple hundred fish with an electric you will see that you can do it in 1/3 the time and just as well. A crappie/perch/sunfish/walleye take me 30-45 seconds apiece with an electric. I can have a limit of crappies (25 in WI) go from sitting in a pail to sitting a a foodsaver bag, with everything cleaned up, in 25 minutes. It used to take me over an hour!

HINT- All electric knives are sold too sharp (cuts through the backbone too easily, harder time getting all the skin off in one pass). I have learned that dull blades are easier to work with. They allow you to put more pressure on the fish and skin allowing you to get all of the meat. The process I use is

1- cut all the way through the ribs to base of tail.

2- place a finger on rib cage, and swing blade under ribs

(lots of pressure against backside of ribs.)

3- remove skin from fillet.

With lots of practice your fillets will have all of the meat from between the ribs/skin and all of the belly meat. Good luck and I hope you see the light.

I would also say electric. I have an American angler electric fillet nice and I can zip through fillets 10 fishes like nothing, while my buddy is just finish do 2 fillets.

Yeah that is the brand I have as well. My dad give it to me after he bought himself one and fell in love with it.

I would make the jump to electric. Once you get used to it, you will never go back, and I personally waste less meat with them, and your fillets look great when you are done. I really like the Mister Twister brand, but between my dad and I have gone through about a dozen over the years because the switches always seem to go bad after a couple years and a few thousand fish. I have a Rapala brand now that works well, but gets REALLY warm after 50 or 60 fish, which makes it uncomfortable to use. I tried the American Angler, but was not impressed, although I never gave it enough of a shot to get used to it. I will never go back to a traditional knife, unless I'm in Canada where there is no power.