• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Muzzleloader results?

Big River

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st time in 15 years I never bought a license. Pretty sad, just haven't seent the deer around here this year. All through rifle season only saw a handfull of deer. Pretty sad for northern MN! Just coulnd't see spending the time in the stand for the "maybe" opportunity to get a shot off. A real dissapointment to me because Muzzloader hunting is something that my Dad and I have been doing together for years and always look forward too, I guess we still could have gone but we just decided to spend the time out on the ice this winter!

Went out last two nights to see nothing from the stand, saw a few on the way to the stand.

Lots of really, really cold sitting, to see nothing but a pileated woodpecker, and a red squirrel. I know they're out here somewhere, but they seem content to be not moving right now.

other deer population indicators i'm looking at is where i rifle hunt(159) and where i live (240) are 150 miles appart and during the rifle season, the peak of the rut, there wasen't any roadkill laying on the side of the road. even now a month later theres nothing we all know the highway dept. don't work that fast. to me it's an indicator the numbers aren't there. the highlight of outdoor news is to look at best buck contest, in the past from mid nov. to mid jan. theres a page or two of submitted photos as of the last issue nothing. my opinion the brown its down crew is doing its job(gotta be shooting a lotta fawns) to get the harvest numbers up to look like a " o.k " season in the d.n.r excuse book. anyone else seeing much roadkill? opinions/observations?

I haven't seen many roadkill either,although I've seen two deer shot during rifle season, and not recovered, a real nice 8, and a decent sized doe. Kind of sucks, I'd have gladly eaten either of em.

Walked through about 80 acres of woods tonight, saw seven tracks, of which I could differentiate between three.

I don't know, doesn't seem real promising.

Hunted friday the 5th, Saturday the 6th, and Sunday the 7th. Saw 16 deer all weekend. Missed a Wall Mounter on Saturday night, so that was a bummer. But he wasn't scared and continued to walk around the trail for awhile, but was gone by the time I got my muzzleloader reloaded. I still have next weekend though. Hopefully the Timberwolves stay out of the are for at least another week!! Keep your fingers crossed.

I'll give you a [PoorWordUsage] yeah on the being cold.... I shot mine at twenty after four, and I was barehanded for about ten minutes while I waited for a shot..... I bet I didn't feel my fingers again till at least ten to five.

Yeah, it was snowing the entire time I was in the stand, it was actually really pretty. As I walked to the stand I remember thinking to myself, this is exactly why I do this.. It was pristine. They were really moving tonight up here, on the way back I saw track after track after track in the fresh snow going across the road.

I might actually go out for another doe, or a yearling. I really want to stack that freezer. I probably could have taken that eight (thats an estimate on the eight points btw, he never got closer than about 150, and I had no binocs but his rack was maybe two inches past his ears on each side) I don't know, I guess if I see an absolute monster while I'm out I'll throw some lead in em, but if it's not going on the wall, I'd rather shoot a doe.

sat both saturday and sunday. only saw 1 while i was on stand, a fawn and i missed it. i probably walked over 5 miles sunday looking for fresh tracks and didnt see a single set. the fawn i saw was bedded 40 yards from my stand and stayed there while i walked by it and climbed into the stand. an hour later she got up and started milling around. the deer were probably bedded in the thickest cover and werent gonna move for nothing during the snow.

I got a nice doe with my Muzzy Saturday around 3:00 p.m. I watched her come across this bean field heading right towards me. Took her when she got to 30 yrds...She went 20 yrds then expired. I was very happy with my results.

At 1:30 I had two does run by me at nearly full tilt, 50 yrds away. Then comes a spike buck, then behind that was an 8 pointer. He wasn't anything massive or anything, so guessing he was a 2.5 yrd old buck, from what I could tell. I tried to get him to stop, so I could get a better look at him, but he had one, and one thing only on his mind. I continued to look in the direction they came from, hoping Mr. Big Buck was trailing the whole crew...But no luck.

Good year for me...I tagged out and seen lots of deer in the process.

Sat for a little over an hour each of the two Saturday mornings, no sightings. Had family activities both Saturday pms & both Sundays. Next weekend I'll hit it pretty hard & maybe Sunday am, no responsibilities at church this week. Might make it out one night this week for an hour. A buddy did on Friday in one of my stands & shot a nice doe, that was running with another doe. Right place right time, the neighbor was combining across the road & bumped them out. They circled right by him 1/2 a mile away.

Got a nice doe around 3pm this afternoon after missing a few earlier in the day. 3rd shot of the day was the ticket i guess! 6th shot I took this muzzleloading season.

First season muzzleloading and made a nice shot at about 40 yds that dropped her on the spot. She was about the 20th deer my dad and I saw today. I snuck up on her after seeing 14 others leave this large fence line. She and two fawns (and a small buck seen after I shot her) stayed tight. She spotted me at about 75yds but she kept coming at me because she was curious I guess. I got on my knees and then when she wasn't looking snuck in tight to the tree line. She kept coming and stopped at about 40 yds and staired at me. I raised the gun and she turned broadside and I pulled the trigger and dropped her on the spot! VERY EXCITING after screwing up a similiar situation on Saturday evening.

A fun first year of muzzleloading. Time to shoot some pheasants and pull some fish through the ice. GOOD LUCK everyone on the last week(end).

Since I moved to Superior from Duluth three years ago I now hunt Wisconsin, near Brule. Deer have been fairly scarce, I've only seen four all season, and many others are saying the same thing. However, I missed one doe at about 75 yards a week and a half ago. Sunday I and managed a perfect stalk on a large doe on Sunday. After sneaking around a brush pile, and levelling the sights on the doe that was only 40 yards away, a few snow flakes had accumulated on the primer cap, and the rifle went click. No boom, no deer, and no venison. Might go out this weekend for the late doe only season.

had a good hunt, weather for me was perfect . we had a dusting of snow just about every night, the temp went down and the deer started moving nicely. saw 12, i shot a nine pointer monday and friday shot a smaller 8 in the same place. moved stands with my partner so he could hunt it for the day and taged a fair doe out of his stand.go figure, put the smoke pole away. there was no way to still hunt without making to much noise . the snow was just to sqeaky. and no way to hunt without hand and foot warmers,(frost bite kills!) thats when i have my best luck. longest shot 35 yards. the woods are thick up here, hard to find places that are open enough for a muzzleloader. so the wind has to be solid to get them close. shot 300 grain xtps from a 50cal with 90grains powder for two of them and then shot round ball 54cal with 80 grains powder for the other. might sound light to some guys but thats the way my guns shoot best.and all the shots went all the way through. wish ya all a safe and succesful rest of the season.

Just to defend myself a little on shooting 6 times this year..... haha

My first two shots were at a doe that i stalked across a field but had to settle for a shot at about 100 yds. I was able to reload and take another shot before she ran off.

The third shot was also at a doe I stalked from a draw in the field. I SHOULD'VE taken a shot at about 50yds with her quartering away from me. I decided to get closer but she caught wind of me and my only shot was at her backside.

The fourth shot was at some deer running across a field more than 100yds out. We kicked them out of a grove. The 5th shot was at a running deer about 40yds out. (should have hit that one probably)

Finally I got the standing shot at a doe as she turned broadside at about 40 yds and got her!

Just had to try and defend myself a little.

Good luck to everyone still chasing that 30 pointer!

Mr Jman said,

"Just to defend myself a little on shooting 6 times this year..... haha

My first two shots were at a doe that i stalked across a field but had to settle for a shot at about 100 yds. I was able to reload and take another shot before she ran off.

The third shot was also at a doe I stalked from a draw in the field. I SHOULD'VE taken a shot at about 50yds with her quartering away from me. I decided to get closer but she caught wind of me and my only shot was at her backside.

The fourth shot was at some deer running across a field more than 100yds out. We kicked them out of a grove. The 5th shot was at a running deer about 40yds out. (should have hit that one probably)

Finally I got the standing shot at a doe as she turned broadside at about 40 yds and got her!

Just had to try and defend myself a little.

Good luck to everyone still chasing that 30 pointer!"

No comment.

OK, I must comment.

You need to get some scruples in regards to ethical shots dude.

So you think you cleanly missed all those deer? I'd bet you hit some of them. I cant even believe you just posted that report of the shots you took. Thats flat out ridiculous.

Of your 6 shots, 3 of them should never ever have been taken. Even with a scoped rifle.

Nice try at defending yourself. Thats just sad if you ask me.